VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've an old set of speakers (maybe 20 years?) that I'm still using, because the sound is great; EmCom amplified multimedia speakers.
Recently, when I turn the volume knob, it puts out some static, and then the audio comes and goes out of the right speaker. Usually I can wiggle it enough to get the audio back.

Can anyone advise me as to what I can do to diagnose/repair this? I really don't want to toss these old speakers and buy new ones.

Reply 1 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to open the speakers up and pump the volume potentiometer full of De-oxit while working it through it's full range of motion. Over time, it's built up some corrosion to the point where it's now making intermittent contact. Cleaning the pot should resolve the issue.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 6, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the same problem with my Roland MA-7 speakers, and contact cleaner spray in the pots don't seem to completely fix it, so I'm actually considering replacing the pots. But it is such a minor problem, I might put it off indefinitely. 😁

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Replacement pots can sometimes be difficult to find, but it's definitely a more permanent solution.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 6, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LunarG wrote:

I have the same problem with my Roland MA-7 speakers, and contact cleaner spray in the pots don't seem to completely fix it, so I'm actually considering replacing the pots. But it is such a minor problem, I might put it off indefinitely. 😁

That's a shame. The best sounding modern PC speakers I ever had (Klipsch Promedia 2.0) had the cheapest, shittiest pots. The carbon traces were gone within a year 🙁 I bypassed the volume and bass controls and used the PC volume, until the IC inside finally died.

Reply 6 of 6, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
probnot wrote:

That's a shame. The best sounding modern PC speakers I ever had (Klipsch Promedia 2.0) had the cheapest, shittiest pots. The carbon traces were gone within a year 🙁 I bypassed the volume and bass controls and used the PC volume, until the IC inside finally died.

I had this issue since ever. All my speakers developed this problem after some years, usually within 5 to 10 years. I now finally gave in and bought some higher-end speakers (Edifier S1000DB). Let's see if they'll also suffer from this. 9 years to go...