Maintaining original resolution in fullscreen?

General information and assistance with DOSBox.

Maintaining original resolution in fullscreen?

Postby jez » 2019-3-10 @ 11:29

When I configure things thus:

Code: Select all
fullresolution      = desktop
windowresolution    = original
output              = surface
aspect    = false
scaler    = normal4x

DOSBox will scale the video to 4x both in windowed and fullscreen modes (in fullscreen mode you get letterboxing to achieve this).

However, when I change output from surface to any of the more modern outputs like ddraw or opengl, fullscreen mode always stretches the video to the resolution of my desktop. Is there any way I can get the 'surface' behaviour with one of the more modern output types?
== Jez ==
jez

Re: Maintaining original resolution in fullscreen?

Postby jmarsh » 2019-3-12 @ 01:11

Change aspect to true.
jmarsh

Postby kjliew » 2019-3-12 @ 01:47

You probably also need to use an output that support hardware scaling, such as opengl, openglnb or ddraw, and disable the software scaling with "scaler=none". The "output=surface" does not support hardware scaling, and that will hurt performance with "aspect=true".
kjliew

Postby jez » 2019-3-12 @ 09:59

Eh? Did you even read what I posted? I said "output=surface" did achieve the output I wanted.
== Jez ==
jez

Postby realnc » 2019-3-19 @ 08:18

I assume you want desktop resolution in fullscreen, but non-scaled output (meaning black borders around it.) I don't think there's a way to do it.

But you can try to set:

fullresolution = original

Which will probably not work well on modern displays. You'll get the nearest available resolution with some form of scaling applied by the display. You can probably fiddle in your monitor's OSD to find scaling settings. Or you can force GPU scaling in your driver control panel and try the scaling options offered there.
realnc

Postby jmarsh » 2019-3-19 @ 10:49

realnc wrote:I assume you want desktop resolution in fullscreen, but non-scaled output (meaning black borders around it.) I don't think there's a way to do it.

Sure there is, set aspect to true.
jmarsh

Postby realnc » 2019-3-19 @ 11:05

jmarsh wrote:
realnc wrote:I assume you want desktop resolution in fullscreen, but non-scaled output (meaning black borders around it.) I don't think there's a way to do it.

Sure there is, set aspect to true.

Does not work. It still scales, just with the correct aspect ratio. Which is what one would expect just from that option's name.

The issue here is that when using anything other than surface, using "scaler = none" doesn't work. DOSBox will scale no matter what.
realnc

Postby jmarsh » 2019-3-19 @ 12:21

Reading between the lines, OP wants aspect ratio correction ("fullscreen with letterboxing"). If surface already did exactly what he wanted why would he be asking for alternatives?
jmarsh

Postby jez » 2019-3-19 @ 12:53

No I didn't mention aspect ratio correction. I simply want the behaviour you get when you put output=surface in fullscreen - maintain the resolution output by the scaler and surround it in a letterbox - when you put output=opengl or similar.
== Jez ==
jez

Return to DOSBox General