VOGONS

Edge based on Chromium

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The final release of the new Microsoft Edge based on Chromium is scheduled for January 15, 2020. Ironically, 1 day after the end of support for Windows 7 (January 14, 2020). Since IE11 is still the main browser for W7, I believe its support will end there too, finally marking the death of this son of a *$#*$# that is Internet Explorer.

My wet dreams finally come true. Edge with the same engine between mac and pc, my days of testing with a virtual machine will come to an end.

However I do recognize how dangerous is the threat of Google dictating how the web will look for the next ten years.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 21 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IE won't die for a long time in Enterprise since alot of applications still need it and it's still included with Windows 10.

Microsoft Edge is currently supported on Windows 7+
https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 22 of 22, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

IE won't die for a long time in Enterprise since alot of applications still need it and it's still included with Windows 10.

Microsoft Edge is currently supported on Windows 7+
https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/

Yup I believe MS game plan is to support Edge on Windows 7+ to kill IE. The thing with Enterprise is because a lot of applications were made specifically for IE, but MS shouldn't support them for longer anyway and should push them to upgrade. I mean, even MS makes clear that github isn't supported anymore on IE...

For the educational market where I work, I can easily force (with the blessing of my boss) the use of Edge instead of IE with the products I develop.

I support Edge (Chromium version ofc), Safari, Opera, Chrome and Firefox. Anything else is out of luck.

I tested both Edge betas on Windows and Mac and I must say I am pleased with the result although I know it is something like a Chromium with MS theme.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!