VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have switched to Shuttle HOT-597 and now my K6-III+ is stable at 550MHz.

As described in the following thread, this motherboard is also noticeably faster in DOS Quake in combination with my GeForce 2MX PCI!

Is Radeon VE particularly fast in DOS or is my GeForce 2MX particularly slow?

Reply 41 of 43, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have switched back to GA-5AX. The main reason for that was a mysterious issue with audio in Windows on the Shuttle motherboard: Garbled sound in Windows 98

I don't know what the problem is but audio is unusable in Windows with any sound card (ISA or PCI) and any video card (PCI or AGP). In Windows 98, it stutters badly every time the screen is refreshed, and in Windows 2000, the machine simply freezes when trying to play audio (with any audio card). I tried ESS ES1869, Aztech WaveRider 32 (both ISA) and TerraTec Aureon 5.1 Fun (PCI).

No such problems with GA-5AX which seems to be a remarkably stable board overall. I had some issues with registry corruption in Windows 98 when using ALi drivers, but it's rock solid when using built-in drivers from Windows 98.

Another quirk of GA-5AX rev 4.1 is that it's kinda slow with PCI graphics cards.

E. g. in DOS Quake I get about 26 fps in timedemo1 in 640x480 using GeForce 2MX PCI, but I get 35.6 fps with GeForce 2MX AGP (both with write combine enabled).

VIA MVP3 seems to be stable with PCI graphics, but ALi Aladdin V seems to be faster with AGP graphics. Go figure.

Reply 42 of 43, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

In a few days I will be a owner of a Shuttle 591p too! Version 3.1.

I hope it don't cause me too troubles!

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 43 of 43, by vintageGuy81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-03-11, 18:29:
I have switched back to GA-5AX. The main reason for that was a mysterious issue with audio in Windows on the Shuttle motherboard […]
Show full quote

I have switched back to GA-5AX. The main reason for that was a mysterious issue with audio in Windows on the Shuttle motherboard: Garbled sound in Windows 98

I don't know what the problem is but audio is unusable in Windows with any sound card (ISA or PCI) and any video card (PCI or AGP). In Windows 98, it stutters badly every time the screen is refreshed, and in Windows 2000, the machine simply freezes when trying to play audio (with any audio card). I tried ESS ES1869, Aztech WaveRider 32 (both ISA) and TerraTec Aureon 5.1 Fun (PCI).

No such problems with GA-5AX which seems to be a remarkably stable board overall. I had some issues with registry corruption in Windows 98 when using ALi drivers, but it's rock solid when using built-in drivers from Windows 98.

Another quirk of GA-5AX rev 4.1 is that it's kinda slow with PCI graphics cards.

E. g. in DOS Quake I get about 26 fps in timedemo1 in 640x480 using GeForce 2MX PCI, but I get 35.6 fps with GeForce 2MX AGP (both with write combine enabled).

VIA MVP3 seems to be stable with PCI graphics, but ALi Aladdin V seems to be faster with AGP graphics. Go figure.

Anyone know about compatibility of an AMD K6-2 533 AFX cpu with the 591-p? Bought a "Brand New NOS" 591P still in its box with sealed I/o cables, manual and CD. The board version is 2.0. When I was in high school, they were supporting the K6-2 500 on the 591P and was able to get that going, it was my mainline for a couple of years.

I've got the 533AFX installed, PC100 RAM and checked the jumpers several times. I don't get a post, beep codes or anything. The power LED comes on, and when I shut it off, the green LED pulses. Tried AGP and PCI video cards, no joy. I have a P120 I can try that should be functional.