VOGONS

Dosbox 64 bit mode some day?

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 24, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was thinking of the same question just now, and I thought of posting a similar thread, when I just saw this one. I can see the thread ended on 14th April 2005. 😁

So, uh, this is like 2009 already. Umm..just wondering if Dosbox 64-bit will ever see the light of the day, given that, actual 64-bit Windows are more commonly used nowadays. I wonder if the Dosbox can actually make use of the 64-bit processing power to it's own advantage? Somehow? Anyhow?

Just interestedly curious, or curiously interested...whatever... I'll be one of the first one to download it (the final version of course, not alpha or beta 😜), if it's ever released.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 22 of 24, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox has a fully working 64 bit linux version.
For windows I personally don't care that much as that one is backwards comptible with 32 in a much easier way then linux.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 23 of 24, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

32-bit dynamic core is much more optimized than 64-bit because of the similarities between real cpu and the emulated one. 64-bit architecture does not bring any improvements in this case, dosbox does not requre more than 2GB memory and it does not do any 64-bit arithmetics...
There is also a problem with compiler - 64-bit MinGW is not yet available (although I think I saw somewhere 64-bit gcc), haven't tried Visual Studio though.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 24 of 24, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess, for Windows, it's still worth to keep Windows XP 32-bit for Dosbox and other games. Strange that Vista don't have built-in enhancements like the 3D audio support - Had to install Creative Alchemy to enable the 3D effects for SB cards.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers