VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 41 of 46, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Memory prices seem to be dropping though. 32gb ddr4 3600 corsair 150$ after rebate. Actually is that much different then it was 2 years ago? I seem to recall seeing reputable 16gb kits for 80$, can't recall the speed.

Reply 42 of 46, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-16, 21:46:

But no one has actually answered any of my questions. Only read the heading and went to town. Thundersnipes!

If I am reading the question correctly, your BEST options aren't great options at the moment.
But my advice would be a RX570 (or even a 470) 4GB card. The 4GB cards aren't as useful to the miners and so seem to be less impacted by the bloated pricing.
That isn't to say they aren't still affected, just not as much.

The 70 series cards are powerful enough for most 1080p med-high and aren't crazy expensive. They are also still fully supported and DX12 and Vulkan compliant.
There are other options, a GTX1650 isn't a bad idea, but a bit more expensive and measurably slower.
A 1060 is also a decent option but unless you can grab a 6GB version you have vram problems, and the 6GB cards are prohibitively expensive for the performance.
If you go older you get into issues with not being supported by the OS, or issues like the R9 cards have with crappy EOL drivers and having to use third party modded drivers.
RX6500 is a terrible card at it's price point, a 3050 is decent but still too expensive. A RX6600 is probably the best bang for the buck NEW card but it is also way overpriced....
Just my 2 Cents

Reply 43 of 46, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The p106-90 is essentially a 3gb gtx1060. These cards are of value to minors. I bought 4 a while back for ~40$ each. I could get at least 200$ apiece. They are my ONLY option, and possibly not a horrific one, as I'm not a seasoned hopelessly devoted gamer. I understand the terminology thrown around to some degree. But I'm not going to be heartbroken if my setup exhibits artifacts here and there. I also have no reason to be competitive.

My nx8400gs-td256e cards are way old and it's win7 drivers work with 10. Again I bought those cards to just barely make up for the deficiencies of typical server hardware onboard video. The gtx 750 was a gift, was brand new. Someone also felt sorry for me and sent me the GTX 260 for shipping + 5$ for used bubble wrap 🤣.

It is what it is. I'll find some older game to play if Anthem is too much of a resource hog.

I don't overpay. Nearly 30 years ago I wanted a small metal working lathe, was eyeing the Sherilne. They raised the price 15$ on me (on me!), I went berserk, and said I'll just shop around. Since then I've purchased maybe 30 lathes. And I'm still shopping. Bought another new years day.

Reply 44 of 46, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, btw there's another COVID-19 outbreak in China, so expect another price hike in the short-term future.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.