VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GZdoom 4.1.2b supposedly last version for XP since newer Windows vers compiled with VS2019 using v142 toolset.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/176299-latest-ve … comment-1171775

DOSBox Compilation Guides
DosBox Feature Request Thread
PC Game Compatibility List
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Running DRM games offline

Reply 21 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SteamLiteXP for Windows XP

Reply 22 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the one or two people who bother to read this thread and noticed that I've removed the games from the first post.

I've removed the info because I've gone through and updated the information and am putting it into a spreadsheet that combines the Windows, Linux and Mac game info into one which I'd like to have up by the end of the week.

Left to do:
Test with Goldberg (Currently only works with Vista+ so use SmartSteamEmu for 2000 and XP)
Test with OS <Vista for each game and for the working ones list the method used to get it to work.

Reply 23 of 28, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Windows XP install that I've disabled ethernet/LAN drivers to keep it offline. I want to start moving my XP games from my Steam library over there -- what's the best way to do this? I've downloaded Tomb Raider Anniversary off my steam library as a test and tried launching without Steam which it does not.

I've downloaded Steamless from github but it's not in a launchable/usable format and the readme says I need to compile it..?

Reply 24 of 28, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry if this is off-topic, but it has just occurred to me in relation to this thread, are there/have there been any fan-made server emulators for games that were originally multiplayer only, but the official servers are now down, but said emulators allow to play PvE content locally?

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 25 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are for Steam on a certain forum and they work well (SmartSteaEmu and Goldberg). Currently for other online store emulators the equivalents allow offline gameplay but not LAN like the steam emulators. (There might be one that does for Epic though).

As for non-emulation it would be game specific like WOW private servers and the like. I'm not a multiplayer fan so I don't track those.
It would be nice to track games that required proprietary servers where you couldn't setup your own server but now can but the list is likely small.

Reply 26 of 28, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This Goldberg fork contains VC2013 build that seems to work on XP. It works on SSE1 CPUs like Pentium 3. https://gitlab.com/this_isnotme/winxp-goldberg-emulator

update: there is also VC2015 build with newer version of code.

Last edited by adalbert on 2021-09-22, 00:27. Edited 3 times in total.

Repair videos: https://youtu.be/T6mXM1tA7pA

Reply 27 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice! Yeah the response on that forum really turned me off so didn't even bother with modifying the source since I don't see it ever being approved. Would be nice to be proven wrong but you just get beaten down all the time when you read comments like that all the time.

Some of these games were updated to no longer be compatible with XP and some work fine on XP but require jumping through hoops installing old versions of Steam since those games require Steam. It's annoying to see people jump through hoops to install an old version of Steam when they could just use SSE, Steamless, etc but I suppose in a lot of those cases they never downloaded the game and kept a copy so they likely are using Steam for downloading as well.

Easier approach was to take ws2_32.dll and ws2_base.dll from onercoreapi and place them in the same location as the goldberg dll and call it a day.
I usually use SmartSteamEmu and then if the game doesn't work then I use goldberg so haven't bothered to test all my games with goldberg and the fact that I had to use onecoreapi .dlls for XP for it turned me off from doing alot of XP testing.

If there's any interest I can post my latest list for SSE, Steamless, Goldberg, etc. There didn't seem to be any interest here so I never bothered.

Reply 28 of 28, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2021-09-20, 22:42:

Easier approach was to take ws2_32.dll and ws2_base.dll from onercoreapi and place them in the same location as the goldberg dll and call it a day.

I found out that Goldberg compiles by default with SSE2 as minimum requirement, now on the XP repository there is also SSE1 build. So it works with Pentium 3 now (good for pushing Dual Tualatin to the limits). In case of SSE2 compiled binary, these workarounds probably wouldn't work, so it's handy to have a file that works out of the box on older platforms.

If there's any interest I can post my latest list for SSE, Steamless, Goldberg, etc. There didn't seem to be any interest here so I never bothered.

I don't own much more on Steam besides Valve Complete Pack, and some titles I tested worked fine with Goldberg or even had no DRM. I wonder if there is anything from Valve that wouldn't work with Goldberg.

didn't even bother with modifying the source since I don't see it ever being approved.

Removing unsupported functions from the code didn't actually help running it natively on Windows XP, the error disappeared but it still didn't work, at least in my case. Only reverting to older VS2013 compiler helped. In that case unfortunately no versions of code made after mid 2019 can be used, because they are heavy dependant on json.hpp library, which is doesn't work in older C++ versions. Maybe there are some workarounds, but there probably isn't too much interest in that (although even having single version compiled for XP is better than none, especially when running only older backups of games).

Repair videos: https://youtu.be/T6mXM1tA7pA