VOGONS

First post, by psz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried running Civ1 DOS with and without VDMSound. Tis too slow. So I figured, "Ok, just use Speedset, try some test speeds, get it correct." And I did. .025 seems to be perfect... Except that when I tried to use it in conjunction with VDMSound's AdLib it crashes with

CIV.EXE
The NTVDM CPU has enountered an illegal instruction.
CS:4f1d IP:8713 OP:0f 0d 15 01 19 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

So... Any ideas as to wether this is a Civ error, Speedset error, or VDMSound error? :->

(Tried posting this in the speedset forum, but it kept erroring out 😜)

Reply 2 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you know that civ1 is slow from it self ?
no matter how fast your pc is. Civ1 is always slow......
I was suprised by this fact myself actually. Expecially the speed with which the units move. It's irritating slow ( i ran it on a pII 350 in win98 dos)

But as DOSFREAK said it runs perfect in Dosbox.

Qbix

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 6, by Unregistered

User metadata

I use CIV The Old on an old (too) PC 486 66 Mhz and with Win 3.1. And that's slow... if I launch it through Win. Launching it from DOS makes it absolutely fast - and I refer to the movement of the troops too, which is surely slow in the first example.
Hope this will be helpfull...

Reply 6 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Kurt What is speedset?

Speedset is a slowdown tool for games that DO NOT use "protected mode".

Where do I put .025?

You follow the example given on the Speedset page.

Trying to get Sid Mier's Civ1 (Dos) to work with WinXP pro.

Use DosBox.

Feel free to e-mail me.

...or not. Since we already have our hands full here, chasing people down to give them info isn't on our list of important things to do.

The whole idea of the board is the public exchange of info that all can use. Private emails defeat that purpose. They are saved for personal exchanges.