VOGONS

Pandora Directive

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 150, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got PD running on one WinXP system with changing the 8-Bit DMA in VDMSound to 5 (heck, why...) 😀

However, with another system, i have exactly the same experiences like MajorGrubert - i'm using Windows XP there as well. Pandora Directive will only start in about 5% of all cases and then freeze immediately at the first screen (or give out a black screen in 95% of the other cases). I already tried all suggestions here but had no luck.

as there are systems that would work with the hints given here, i think mine and MajorGrubert's problem is a different issue (probably really not a sound card issue as i don't think PD does already check the soundcard before the 1st screen). I also think, it's a VESA issue, because *if* i get the first screen at PD (in the seldom cases), the last 1/4 part of the screen is cut off - that's a problem i always have with dos games requiring VESA under Windows XP. I don't have that issue on the same system if running in Windows 9x.

For example, i have (or had) the same problem with Ripper under WinXP - except if i add the parameter /V2 to ripper.exe which causes the program to override the VESA driver sequence (btw: works since version 1.03 of Ripper) - than it works fine (even without VDMSound) on my machine - i guess, some sort of that tweaking on Pandora Directive could solve that issue as well - but that's just my 2cents and i'm by far not an expert...

Reply 41 of 150, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried something new:

Edited CONFIG.INI for the right setting for native XP sound support (220/5/1) and set the PASS=1 (as mentioned here before) - i have tried that already, but only in conjunction with VDMSound. Now i've tried it without it - and it worked (stuttery, but at least, worked). I also tried changing every FA i could find around the mentioned offsets - no luck, the problems already mentioned here (speed issues etc).

If i now go to the configurations menue and try to reconfigure my soundcard, the program crashes to DOS, eeh, Windows, i mean... (at least no freezing)... well, music is quite terrible (only SB-FM support at the moment, will try other CONFIG.INI board settings later - does the native XP Sound support also support GM or something like that?).

All other experiments in conjunction with VDMSound failed, however (black screen at the moment, in all cases - any idea why this works without VDMSound and not with it?)...

Ah, one more thing: My screen still shows just about 3/4 of the whole. Probably i could get around this when enabling the VESA support of VDMSound (if it worked)... Probably, I'll try to update my NTVDM some time soon...

Last edited by basti007 on 2003-07-15, 00:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42 of 150, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With the help of Malko (thanks buddy), i was able to get it running with VDMSound now (for some reason, i always forgot to disable "adlib" which caused the black screens). Now i also can run the game with MPU-401 GM by configuring CONFIG.INI - great.

(edit: you tried it - didn't work out - seems that i have to remain with SB FM sound)

2 problems remain:

1. I changed nearly every "FA" in nearly every offset in TEX4.EXE - nothing helped with the mouse issue. Can anyone send me (or Malko) his/her patched tex4.exe?

2. I still can only see about 3/4 or 4/5 of the screen. As mentioned above, i have this problem with nearly every DOS VESA game where i can't override some of their vesa routine (see posting above). Anyone know anything about this? the bottom space of the screen is cut off which makes playing nearly impossible (i *can* move the mouse there, however, but don't see some of the buttoms etc...).

Last edited by basti007 on 2003-07-15, 11:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43 of 150, by Malko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No prob basti 😉

Unfortunately I also had no luck in creating a working hack of tex4.exe. I'm still hoping someone could send us his hacked tex4.exe 😉

Quite strange problem you told about (4/5th of the screen only).
Do u have this prob with both of your graphicboards? Maybe try to change the drivers of your graphic cards.

Life is an adventure!

Reply 44 of 150, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it's just a very cheap system with an onboard SiS graphics chip. I have installed the recent drivers, but had no luck...

I use this laptop normally only for working and sometimes playing old dos games. On my other systems, Pandora doesn't make any problems.

Transmeta Crusoe
SiS 305 16 MB
AC'97
128 MB RAM
QSI DVD-ROM
20 GB NTFS
Operating System: DOS 5.0, Win98SE and WinXP

Reply 45 of 150, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Malko Would someone be so kind to send me the modified 'tex4.exe' to my mail-address?

Not a good idea. As you may have already noticed, each of us have found the exact location to change to be slightly different from someone else's version.

I'm not experienced in using hex-editors and actually I don't even have one.

http://www.kibria.de/frhed.html

Just make a backup copy of the TEX4.EXE before you try to edit it.

Originally posted by basti007 I got PD running on one WinXP system with changing the 8-Bit DMA in VDMSound to 5 (heck, why...)

If you've configure it to use "SoundBlaster 16", I think it doesn't use the 8-bit DMA at all.

I also had to change my DMA setting to 5, but only for SB16.

I also think, it's a VESA issue, because *if* i get the first screen at PD (in the seldom cases), the last 1/4 part of the screen is cut off - that's a problem i always have with dos games requiring VESA under Windows XP.

Probably so. VESA games are always more of a problem on XP. How much of a problem depends of your video hardware.

Originally posted by basti007 If i now go to the configurations menue and try to reconfigure my soundcard, the program crashes to DOS, eeh, Windows, i mean...

Go back and read through this thread. As WireKnight discovered early on, the "sound card verification" part of the setup will not work on an NT OS. You must avoid it.

does the native XP Sound support also support GM or something like that?).

It does. Some times it works...when it feels like it.

why this works without VDMSound and not with it?)...

To be honest, I think it's your combination of hardware. Have you tried overriding VDMSound's default setting of SB16 and force it to use SoundBlaster 1.x emulation?

I could use SB16, but it drained resources too much and had to drop to "SoundBlaster Pro".

Ah, one more thing: My screen still shows just about 3/4 of the whole.

Have you tried running this in Win98? The TNT2 isn't well-supported in WinXP.

The hardware resources needed to run DOS games skyrocket when you run them within XP. I'm afraid the combination of your video and audio chipsets are both on the weak side. If your laptop can dual-boot to Win98, I highly recommend you run it there.

Reply 46 of 150, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not a good idea. As you may have already noticed, each of us have found the exact location to change to be slightly different from someone else's version.

Yeah, but i have already changed every FA to 90 - with no success. Would be just interresting, to see, if it is of use to run Pandora with the TEX4.EXE of yours - (it don't think it should cause too much trouble that it's a different version of tex4.exe).

Have you tried running this in Win98? The TNT2 isn't well-supported in WinXP.

See my postings above: It's not the system with the TNT2 (it runs with this chipset without problems) - the problem accurs with a SIS chip (and only within WinXP). Of course, i can dual boot - but it would be just interessting to see, if it would work somehow in XP as well (and the VDMSound Support is just better in XP then the alpha in 9x).

Reply 47 of 150, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
basti007 wrote:

I got PD running on one WinXP system with changing the 8-Bit DMA in VDMSound to 5 (heck, why...) 😀

However, with another system, i have exactly the same experiences like MajorGrubert - i'm using Windows XP there as well. Pandora Directive will only start in about 5% of all cases and then freeze immediately at the first screen (or give out a black screen in 95% of the other cases). I already tried all suggestions here but had no luck.

I am following this thread so far am I'm looking forward to do some tests inder Windows XP, but I have absolutely no time for this right now. I will try again in a few days, but I bet it will be quite a ride, since there are problably four different issues to be addressed: sound, video and mouse/speed/whatever is involved with the CLI instructions.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 48 of 150, by Malko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

http://www.kibria.de/frhed.html

I think it's worth a try. There's no risk. Would someone PLEASE send me his modified tex4.exe?

At least would someone please give me a short instruction how to use frhed (hex-editor) to replace these mysterious 'FA's' by '90'.
What the heck, is that at all?

Last edited by Malko on 2003-07-16, 20:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Life is an adventure!

Reply 49 of 150, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by basti007 Yeah, but i have already changed every FA to 90 - with no success.

Well, if you actually changed every one of them and it still didn't work, it doesn't seem logical that only one change would work.

Then again,... we are talking about NT.

...the problem accurs with a SIS chip (and only within WinXP).

Hrmmm...SiS again.

Of course, i can dual boot - but it would be just interessting to see, if it would work somehow in XP as well

Glutton for punishment, eh? Maybe you need to become an advisor here...

Originally posted by Malko There's no risk. Would someone PLEASE send me his modified tex4.exe? At least would someone please g […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Malko There's no risk. Would someone PLEASE send me his modified tex4.exe?

At least would someone please give me a short instruction how to use frhed (hex-editor) to replace these mysterious 'FA's' by '90'.
What the heck, is that at all?

*ack*

Just realize that if this is corrupted, causes a hardware failure, causes your PC to explode...killing you and anyone else with 1-square mile area, or turns your PC into a some kind of Robotech-looking mechanical monster...I'm not liable. Understood?

Oh...and if MSoft's people come kicking in my door, I'm giving them your address.

BTW, make sure it's FA on the Hex window, not the ASCII window.

Attachments

• Filename
    tex4.zip
    File size
    539.16 KiB
    Downloads
    410 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 50 of 150, by Malko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Nicht sehr gut (Wie bist du nur auf diesen Namen gekommen?)

Thanks a lot!

Seems to work fine. I'll go on trying it a bit to see if it's really properly working but I'm confident.

BTW: I had the same kind of joke in mind but was too lazy too write it down 😉

Last edited by Malko on 2003-07-17, 13:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Life is an adventure!

Reply 51 of 150, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Malko Seems to work fine. I'll go on trying it a bit to see if it's really properly working but I'm confident.

Well that doesn't make sense to me...but that kind of thing happens sometimes.

Reply 53 of 150, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

tex4.exe worked for me, too (german version)... i had never problems patching tex murphy software with the english version patches available (also did this with UAKM and Overseer already and was never a problem, too). So i guess, that shouldn't be sensitiv in general... thanks to nicht sehr gut! 😀

glad to be able to play it now - well - somehow! the problem with the 3/4 of a screen still applies...

Reply 54 of 150, by Malko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another problem that remains is that I can play this (and some other old games) only in 60Hz Mode. And that of course produces a very bad headache 🙁

Someone knows a solution? I tried it with NVRefreshrate Fix without succes. (My specs: Geforce 4Ti4200 Win XP)

Life is an adventure!

Reply 55 of 150, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by basti007 tex4.exe worked for me, too (german version)...

And that makes even less sense, but I guess that's good.

the problem with the 3/4 of a screen still applies...

Since XP allows for direct hardware access in full-screen mode (for DOS), its probably hardware-related.

Originally posted by Malko Another problem that remains is that I can play this (and some other old games) only in 60Hz Mode. And that of course produces a very bad headache

That's the way it is in 2000/XP. Refresh fixes don't work for DOS video modes. No known fix.

Reply 56 of 150, by Unregistered

User metadata
Malko wrote:

Another problem that remains is that I can play this (and some other old games) only in 60Hz Mode. And that of course produces a very bad headache 🙁

You can try shareware UniRefresh http://home.student.utwente.nl/r.muller/unire … h/download.html or freeware VBEHz. http://www.informatik.fh-muenchen.de/~ifw98223/vbehz.htm . Both work on my computer in Windows XP NTVDM without a problem.

Reply 58 of 150, by Unregistered

User metadata
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

The results from UniRefresh seem unclear.

On my computer it works just fine. I can set the VESA refresh rates with both of the programs and even VGA rates with VBEHz. As author of VBEHz writes about VGA: "Programs use dirty tricks to set refresh rates, because there is not standard for setting refresh rates in VGA BIOSes." Maybe dirty tricks, but it definitely works 😀
My system: GeForce 2MX, Celeron 1GHz, WIN XP Professional

Reply 59 of 150, by Malko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Doesn't work on my computer 🙁 I assume the Geforce 4 is the reason for this. I'll try it later on my other pc with Geforce 2MX.
Thanks so far.

so long...

--edit--

no luck with geforce2mx either. Think the game is not supported (Pandora Directive)

Last edited by Malko on 2003-07-22, 09:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Life is an adventure!