VOGONS

First post, by Jason

User metadata

OK, I have. . . .

Gigabyte 7N400L Motherboard
1 gig 3200DDR
SB Live
Raedon 9000

And no matter what I try, Maxing the EMS memory, or setting it to just enough for the game I always get the same stupid error... and its on almost everygame I try EXCEPT Dune... Xwing, MOM dont work... havent tried many others as im VERY discouraged ATP

Any Ideas?

Reply 1 of 9, by Guest

User metadata

forgot this stuff

AMD 1800+ XP
128 DDR on video
Win XP SP1
VDMSound 2.04 AND 2.1 tried

Steps taken
I have tried upping the memory little bits at a time, but Master of Magic says it needs the same about everytime like its not seeing that I upped it to the max or anything.

Games tried. . .
Dune (works)
XwingCD ( Does NOT work)
Master of Magic (Does NOT work)
TieCD (Does NOT work)

Reply 2 of 9, by Drek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a similar problem on a similar system. Here' something else for you to try. Go to your "WINDOWS\system32" folder and find the "config.nt" file there. Open it with note pad and make sure the following lines are in it (probably at the bottom):

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys /INT15=1024
files=60

Another thing I would make sure of is that you have the latest VIA 4in1 drivers and that Windows is fully updated. In fact, I would just make sure you have all of your drivers updated, unless you have some specific reason for using an older version of a particular driver. Catalyst drivers for the Radeon are updated every month so make sure you have the latest of those as well.

Last edited by Drek on 2004-01-26, 15:44. Edited 1 time in total.

ASRock 970 Extreme3 mainboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
8 GB DDR3
Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 1GB
Windows 7 64 Pro

Reply 3 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Also try disabling any usb support in the bios.
(they tend to break ems support)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 9, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No program can help you if the hardware is not willing. 😀

Something in your hardware (something in the BIOS) is interfering with EMS emulation. If you can't isolate that something you're stuck with full-fledged PC emulation (DosBox/Bochs/VirtualPC/VmWare...)

Cheers,
V.

Reply 6 of 9, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jason wrote:

OK, I have. . . .

Gigabyte 7N400L Motherboard

Jason, first you should have in mind that, in order to provide EMS memory to DOS programs, Windows needs to find a free 64kB memory area in the upper memory region, between 640kB and 1MB. This is how the original EMS memory cards worked in the original PC-XTs and this is still the only way to simulate it under Windows if you are not using full hardware emulation (like DosBox does) or virtualization (like VMWare and VirtualPC).

However, several modern motherboards do not present any free memory in this region, making it impossible for Windows to emulate EMS memory when you run DOS programs. From previous threads like this one and this one, it looks like motherboards based on NVidia chipsets (like your GA-7N400L) have this kind of limitation.

You may try to disable some features in your BIOS that could release the appropriate memory blocks, like support for USB keyboards (somteimes called "USB legacy support" in the BIOS), this usually works for some boards but I am not sure it will do the trick for you. If it doesn't, then I am afraid there is no other solution except DosBox, VMWare or VirtualPC.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7 of 9, by suns

User metadata

That same config.NT file in our windows/system32 folder says it can provide Expanded Memory Support. How?

It's funny, using VDMSound, i can get Dune 2 to play all the sounds except the intro music. If i use setup to set the digitized samples to adlib gold, i get the intro music, but then the speech and sound effects are gone! So it must be memory problem?

cheers

suns