VOGONS

Weird issues!

Topic actions

First post, by Manias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heya!

Well i've been having these problems for 6 months now. At first, VDM worked fine for a few times. After that, i have NO idea at ALL what changed. At one point every time I would run a game with vdmsound the screen just goes black, and nothing happens!! After that i've reinstalled windows just for vdm but nothing. And now after 6 months i thought i'd try again, see if anyone found out a solution or anything 😀
My original post is at
Sudden problems with VDMS? (i wasn't registered at the time)
I have since then installed vdm 2.1 still same issues.
Any ideas anyone? 😵
By the way if anyone knows if "Down in the Dumps" is runable with vdm please let me know (i'm not testing vdm with that tho)
Thanks! 😁

Manias

-Edit- okay well Down in the Dumps works on dosbox (sorta) just so people know 😀
Still no progress in VDM tho

Reply 1 of 6, by AJAJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you using a laptop?
If you are there are issues between XP, certain games and hotkey drivers (e.g. 00hotkey.exe on toshibas) that cause the screen to go black irretrievably. I never used to have this problem, but then one day it just started happening.

Reply 2 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Manias, are you running any kind of motherboard/temperatur/fan monitoring program?

I remember a warning saying that they can cause problems for VDMSound because they 'lock' onto the hardware in a certain way.

Also check for a file/driver called GIVEIO.SYS. It is - as far as I know - a "helper" for those monitoring programs when accessing the I/O devices.

A temporary rename should allow you to test that.
--
MiniMax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 6, by Manias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys! First of all thanks for replying 😀
But.. No giveio.sys or laptop 🙁
I heard about the system monitor issue before, but when i reinstalled windows i did not install those things anymore.. So that's not it either!
Thanks tho 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I am just throwing ideas at you Manias - perhaps one of them will strike gold:

• Hardware accellerations
    Have you tried lowering/disabling hardware accellerations for sound and graphics in your host OS?
  • Anything in the Event Logs?
  • Tried directing sound to a file instead of to a device?
  • Tried running the games with DOSBox in fullscreen mode?
  • Tried a different graphics driver? Newer, older, ...
  • Install the OS with/out APIC, ACPI or whatever all those IRQ sharing and power management modes are called?
  • Another DirectX?
  • Disabling on-board graphics, USB, Ethermet, ....
  • VDMSound can generate some diagnostics logs. Tried that?
  • Do you run the games from a CD? The real thing, or a virtual CD? Perhaps a virtual CD drive will work better?
  • Disable joystick support in VDMSound?
  • Run without VDMSound and use WinXP in Win95 compatibility mode?

--
MiniMax

Reply 5 of 6, by Manias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

heya 😀
-tried the acceleration thing, nothing
-logs just show as normal just nothing happens after a certain point which seems to change also. Something like initializing this n that and then nothing more
-i've tried running games with no sound n vdmsound -> nothing
-Here's the weird thing : DOSBox works like a charm!!
-tried different drivers, nothing
-tried powermanagement on/off/uninstalled/etc nothing..
-tried to run with standard XP directx whichever that is.. now 9.. nothing
-tried the rest, not running from a cd/virtual cd... ran with allll sorta vdm settings with sound/without, same w joystick etc.
-Also tried to run games without vdmsound with 95 compatibility, and some ran but without sound...
*SO FRUSTRATING!!!!*

Reply 6 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Manias, can you make a test-install of WinXP on a spare partion? Or install into a different directory, e.g. C:\WINTEST instead of \WINDOWS?

If you can, try installing just WinXP + SP1. No graphics driver, no sound, no nothing. You should still be able to run XP in 800x600 pixels. Create a shortcut to %SystemRoot%\system32\command.com, and configure it for EMS, XMS, warning-before-close, do-not-close-when-done, blah, blah, blah.
Launch the shortcut, and use the MEM command to verify that you get EMS and XMS memory.

Insert the game CD, install/configure for no sound and run.

Does it run? If not, try (un)commenting some of the NTVDM stuff being loaded from %SystemRoot%\system32\AutoExec.NT, and try to run the game again.
--
MiniMax