VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hey!

OK something really weird is going on. I installed vdms on XP SP1 and it ran fine, could run discworld1, kyrandia2 etc etc. Then one day it just stopped working. I don't really know what i did, nothing that I can think of anyway. Now VDMS starts up the game, it says for instance hand of fate copyright blahblah. Then it goes fullscreen and..... the screen stays black! And I can't do anything, no alt enter or whatever. I have to alt-tab and close VDMS that way (and it crashes).
I've just reinstalled XP from scratch, newest NVIDIA drivers and so on, but to no aveil.
I've just tried a bit older nvidia driver also, but didn't work.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks 😀

Reply 2 of 9, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hmm you know what I think we might!

I just tried discworld without anything and with no sound on and same thing -> black screen, nothing comes up.
I've tried Kyrandia 2 with dosbox and it works, apart from the fact that when i come into the menu and I select whatever option (start game, load game, etc) (mouse works!) it crashes with lib error 3 back to the dos prompt.. but i guess that's a dosbox problem more than anything else.
Strange though huh! Kyriandia 2 won't run without dosbox/vdm/whatever on but I think that's normal for that particular game, that it just doesn't work under XP.
Anyway.. I just don't know what's wrong anymore.. Still no one any ideas?
My comp: p4 2ghz, geforce 3 t200, 256 mb ram, lots gig hd,..
Any ideas?

Menno

Reply 5 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered day it just stopped working. I don't really know what i did, nothing that I can think of anyway. Now VDMS starts up the game, it says for instance hand of fate copyright blahblah. Then it goes fullscreen and..... the screen stays black!....
I've just reinstalled XP from scratch,...

Err...that's a pretty dramatic first step for trouble-shooting.

First things first, confirm that you can get the games running without sound. Configure the game to run with "no sound" or "PC speaker" and try again.

Reply 6 of 9, by Unregistered

User metadata

Tried that before the reinstall and I can't get them to run without sound either.. At least I COULD once.. Then got VDMSound without any problems and then suddenly poof games don't work with or without vdms.. And reinstalled windows -> no change! And mouse works in dos so that isn't the problem. I still suspect it might be my g-force drivers or something... Could that be?

Menno

Reply 7 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Tried that before the reinstall and I can't get them to run without sound either.. At least I COULD once.. Then got VDMSound without any problems and then suddenly poof games don't work with or without vdms.. And reinstalled windows -> no change!

Angered a mystic gypsy perhaps? Beats me. The problem as you've described it, doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The best bet is to start with the most basic stuff. Try running Ms.PacEm with VDMSound. If VDMSound and the OS are working properly, it will run with sound and music. If it attempts to use speaker sound, then something is falling down on the audio side of things.

Reply 9 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered OK tried that..
Without vdms it sez blahblah initializing soun dcard etc etc then goes full screen and screen stays black.

That's pretty bad all right...

*blech*

Got any silent or "PC speaker-only" titles you can test?