VOGONS

First post, by zhen_rogue

User metadata

Hello!

After downloading the most recent beta VDMSound program, successfully installing it, and rebooting(although I was never asked to)... I get no 'right-click' options when I right click on a .exe or .bat for my old dos games.

According to the usage instructions, there should be a 'run with VDMSound' option when i right click a .bat or .exe, no?

After reading the FAQ and included .rtf readme, I found no mention of this issue... what exactly might I be doing wrong?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Running: WinXPpro (fully updated)

***EDIT: Tried adding the line 'dosdrv' in my game's .bat file to invoke VDMsound. I got a whole host of 'could not instantiate...' errors i had to click through, and of course the game didn't work as intended.

After reading other help threads, yes, I did install under administrator.

Mayhaps this will shed some more light on my problem?
Any advice is appreciated.

***EDIT 2: Seems two other chaps have very similar problems, and both seem to be unresolved issues:

Guest:
Motherboard: MSI K7N2 Delta
Processor type and speed: AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.0 GHz)
Amount and type of RAM: 1.5Gb DDR PC2100
Video board w/ RAM amount and type: Gainward NVidia GeForce FX 5600 w/ 256Mb DDR RAM
Sound board: Built-in to Motherboard
Operating system: Windows XP Professional
Game name (and version, if applicable): Sierra Adventure Games
Description of problem: Installation will not integrate into shell. Also, while the installation completes successfully, when run I get instantiation errors. These seem to have been fixed using a registry modifier for the old 2.0.4 version; however, I still cannot figure out how to integrate it into the shell.
Reproducibility of problem: Every time I've installed it (5 times)
Sound mode used: Not sure what this means...
Video mode: SVGA 256
Version of Emulator: 2.1.0 with 2.0.4 forced registry entries
Steps already attempted to solve the problem: I've attempted uninstalling and reinstalling the program several times. I've rebooted between each attempt, and after each installation. Also, I disabled every single program running in the background, including VirusScan, WinAmp, etc. I uninstalled my PC Alert4 also, just to be safe. I have no further ideas on how to fix this problem. Is there a way to manually force shell integration? If so, that would probably do just fine. Thank you.

Guest:
Hi
I've been trying to get VDMS 2.1.0 to install, but haven't gotten around to getting it to work. I've previously used VDMS 2.0.4, and it worked properly. But now I tried to install 2.1.0 and in the process uninstalled 2.0.4, and neither of them work. The VDMS support board @ SF offered manual implementation of a .reg file, but I suppose that was a 2.0.4 feature, since a .reg file didn't appear with the 2.1.0 installation.

I consulted the FAQ for help, and it suggested that a virus shield or programs like SiSoftware Sandra could interfere with the installation, so I uninstalled Sandra and disabled my virus shield, but got the same response.

After my first installation of 2.1.0 the 'Run with VDMS' option from the right-click menu was gone, and manually running DOSdrv.exe just came up with a "class not registered" error box for a number of VDMS dll's.

They appeared as following:

Unable to instantiate emulation module 'VDMServicesProvider'.

0x80040154 - Class not registered (D:\PROGRA~1\VDMSound\VDMS.INI:66)

Do you want to continue? (Yes/No)

Continuing with the program just brought up a number of similar boxes.

I'm running Win2k SP4, Athlon 1 GHz, 512 MB RAM, SB Audigy 2, Radeon 7500, F-Secure VShield

Reply 2 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

I have the same problem "Unable to instantiate emulation module 'VDMServicesProvider" and the same error message will apply if I continue with the rest of the installation on my WinXP Pro Sp1 system.

BTW I have P4 2.6GHz, 512MB, Audigy 2, Radeon 9700Pro.

Last edited by Guest on 2004-05-10, 09:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 7, by Cabadam-Guest

User metadata

I'm having same issue. No right click on exe, com, or .bat files. If I run dosdrv manually, I get the error described in the previous posts. I attached a screenshot of it as well. If I click continue, another just pops up.

Side note - tried to register for the forum - but its been about 30 min and no registration email.

Attachments

• The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.

Reply 4 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll see what I can do. All guests in this thread, please come up with a signature to differentiate yourselves. Additionally, please confirm that you've tried everything you can in the following threads (if you haven't already):
Problem with joystick module...
Unable to load ...
dll PROBLEMS!!!
VDMS 2.0.4 installation: Error 1904
Installation woes!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 7, by Theboss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was the last unnamed guest but I just registered. I have read the relevant information from the links but most I already read before I made my post so my problem persist and I have no idea why the instantiation errors comes up 😒 I keep my system clean and install all the lastest updates for my hardware and software. I noticed of those that mentioned their hardware specs, we have the Audigy 2 in common so perhaps its something with that 😖

Reply 6 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

Anamon here, forgot if I was registered here or not...

Same thing here, I have read all the posts and tried everything, but the messages keep appearing. I uninstalled 2.1, rebooted and installed 2.0.4 again and now that one starts producing error messages saying it couldn't register all of those .DLL files. Great. Now both versions won't work.

PS, my XP installation (with SP-1) is a few days old.

Cheers

EDIT:

OK to get it right, VDMSound 2.0.4 installation doesn't even complete, because it gives these errors:

Error 1904. Module C:\Programme\VDMSound\DiskWriter.dll failed to register.
HRESULT -2147221164. Contact your support personnel.

and the same with every other DLL it tries to register. Try again produces a new error message, continue lets it cycle through the remaining DLLs.

VDMSound 2.1.0 seems to install properly, but the context menu entry does not appear (I did restart even though the installer did NOT ask me to do it like you said). When I run DOSDRV, I get these:

Instantiation - COM Error
Unable to instantiate emulation module 'VDMServicesProvider'
0x80040154 - Class not registered (C:\PROGRA~1\VDMSound\VDMS.INI:66)
Do you want to continue?

The same with the following modules and INI-lines:

SysEx Indicator 131
MIDI Player 116
MIDI Mapper 102
DMA Transfer Manager 146
AdLib Wave Player 217
AdLib Controller 186
SB Wave Player 202
SB Controller 161
MPU401 Controller 86
Joystick Controller 243

And if I try to manually register launchpad, I get

DllRegisterServer in launchpad.dll failed
Error code: 0x80040154

I found out I was registered as ValiantX after all, but I'm lazy to find out my password now, sorry 😜

Thanks for your help