VOGONS

First post, by Mutaito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been having a lot of problems with some dll files. I've tried with all I've found in the forums but it still won't work. Please, could someone tell me why "failed to register" errors come up while installing the VDMSound 2.0.4 in my XP system?

Thanks a lot

Reply 1 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Mutaito Please, could someone tell me why "failed to register" errors come up while installing the VDMSound 2.0.4 in my XP system?

If you've searched, then you've come across these, I presume?:
showthread.php?threadid=91&highlight=failed+to+register

showthread.php?threadid=1055&highlight=failed+to+register

showthread.php?threadid=1500&highlight=failed+to+register

The big things to check are:
Are you installing with Administrator privileges?
Are you running any "Hardware Monitoring" tools that use direct access (breaking the "rules" of the OS)?
Some "install monitors" don't cooperate with the VDMSound installer and may need to be disabled at install time.

Reply 3 of 8, by Mutaito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the links in your reply Nicht Sehr Gut. I tried the "repair" option and now the installation gives me no errors. The problem now is that when I try to make "run with VDMS" right-clicking on a file, an error apears: "Instantiation - COM error" saying something about the emulation module 'VDMServicesProvider' and then it asks if I want to continue. If I do, very simmilar errors occur. I chose to continue in all of them and then the game runs, but theres no sound! If I choose not to continue the DOS window says "VDMS loaded properly, but encountered an error while initializing". It looks like it´s something wrong with loading "VDDLoader.dll". I would appreciate any solution you could give me.

Thank you very much.

Reply 4 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Mutaito I tried the "repair" option and now the installation gives me no errors. The problem now is that when I try to make "run with VDMS" right-clicking on a file, an error apears: "Instantiation - COM error" saying something about the emulation module 'VDMServicesProvider' and then it asks if I want to continue.

Hrrmm...this always smells wrong...

1st, did you read the text from Vlad's link on a possible solution?
His link broke on me a few times so here's the short version:

There is a problem with your Windows Installer and/or system in general. Install VDMSound in the C:\Program Files\VDMSound (def […]
Show full quote

There is a problem with your Windows Installer and/or system
in general.

Install VDMSound in the C:\Program Files\VDMSound (default)
directory. Ignore all errors. Then open the attached zip
archive here and double-click on the .reg file inside. Ignore
the warning (press OK). VDMSound should now work.

I would go ahead and do a shutdown-and-restart after that to be on the safe side.

If that still doesn't do it, I would uninstall VDMSound (and any/all add-ons/updates) then start over in what I call "Let's pretend this is Windows 3.1" mode. Play it safe and change the install directory to some location with a nice 8+3 identification like:
C:\Utils\Audio\VDMSound

After it finishes, shutdown-and-restart then try a simple DOS program like Ms.Pac-Em from here before you even try any updates or add-ons.

Reply 5 of 8, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Hrrmm...this always smells wrong...

1st, did you read the text from Vlad's link on a possible solution?
His link broke on me a few times so here's the short version:

Careful with that, you failed to paste in the following very important thing, i.e.: the .reg file(s) assme that VDMSound is installed in C:\Program Files\VDMSound (you may need to search & replace in the .reg files if you want another directory).

V.

Reply 6 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by vladr Careful with that, you failed to paste in the following very important thing, i.e.: the .reg file(s) assume that VDMSound is installed in C:\Program Files\VDMSound

Err...It's right there in the quote. Like I said, he should try your reg files before anything else.

Reply 7 of 8, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No it isn't, Nicht, you're drunk.

MUTAITO, you MUST be running as an ADMINISTRATOR. Are you running as an ADMINISTRATOR? It sounds like you are not running as an ADMINISTRATOR.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover No it isn't, Nicht, you're drunk.

*blink*
*blink*

Let's see...Here's Vlad's quote that I used:

There is a problem with your Windows Installer and/or system in general. Install VDMSound in the C:\Program Files\VDMSound (def […]
Show full quote

There is a problem with your Windows Installer and/or system
in general.

Install VDMSound in the C:\Program Files\VDMSound (default)
directory.
Ignore all errors. Then open the attached zip
archive here and double-click on the .reg file inside. Ignore
the warning (press OK). VDMSound should now work.

This time I used bold to emphasize where Vlad specifies the location to install before using the .REG files.

Presuming that he doesn't skip any part of the quote...