VOGONS

Duke 3D with VDMS

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hey all,
When running VDMSound with Duke 3D, the game crashes just before it plays ANY sound, first thing, this happened during the setup program, as soon as it tries to play the sound by the "Test Sound" or the "Test Music" features, the program jsut freezes.
If I just save the settings and exit, and then try to run the DUKE3D.exe, it goes through the usual loading proceedure, then right before it goes to play the sound for the little start up sequence, it shows the first frame of animation, then it freezes too.

Any ideas?
CPU: AMD K6/2 500
MEM: 192 MB

Need more?
Email me...
moc_leader@iprimus.com.au
Replying to this message?
Email me again 😀
moc_leader@iprimus.com.au

Reply 1 of 32, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, Duke does not like Windows when sound is enabled. CLI2NOP (see Deep Thought forum and/or the alt.games.duke FAQ on http://groups.google.com/ ) may help to a certain extent. Or upgrade to WIndows XP and get VDMSound "Update 1". Or look for a Windows/Java/etc. rewrite of Duke.

V.

Reply 2 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Like Vlad said CLI2Nop (then with VDMSound afterwards) is about your only immediate option.

The best bet is a dual-boot with DOS or a Win9x OS.

Even if you get it running in Win2K or XP, you may also have to deal with VESA 2.0 issues. If so, you may also need to use NOLFB.COM (available in the Magrathea/Deep Thought forum under "Ken Silverman releases VESA Fix for NT/2K/XP".

Reply 4 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you install VDMSound Update 1?

That's it. I'm gonna upload my VDMSound directory with VDMSOUND 2.04/Updated1/& Launchpad to the board.

Instalation will be easy. Instead the VDMSound 2.04 MSI, unzip the .zip into your VDMSound directory. Run install.bat to install launchpad.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm, there are 2 Unregistered's here.

For the one with 2K, your SOL.

For the one with XP. Please register. Although not required it does make things easier.

Reply 7 of 32, by Dijeeh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im the Unreged guy with XP, just regged for you 😀

I now have a new problem, trying to run RedNeck Rampage.

I get the error "DPMI_Map Physical to Linear Failed"
or close to it.

This has happened on a few other games util i set it to VGA 300x200 (duke and Shadow warrior)

RedNeck Rampage only allows VESA 🙁

I recall i managed to get VESA working before.

Hows it done?

Reply 8 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

showthread.php?s=&threadid=467

Run that before starting any BUILD game. Make sure your in a full-screen NTVDM windows. Also be aware that if you have a GF4 card you may only have 640X480 res.

Reply 11 of 32, by Dijeeh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK! i got the game to run

It only works using the command prompt though, and thus VDM settings dont come into play when rr1.exe is run.

Thus, i get IRQ conflict error if sound is on

If i turn sound off in setup.exe i can load into the game just fine.

But having no sound is quite useless

Erm.. how do i run a game from the command prompt, with it keepings it VDM settings?

Reply 12 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Run NOLFB
To activate VDMSound from the command prompt use DOSDRV...
Then run the BUILD game.

Read this if you use the launchpad: showthread.php?s=&threadid=741&highlight=popf

Reply 14 of 32, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm confused. Was that Dijeeh (just not logged in) or the original poster, moc_leader, that posted "Nevermind. It works."

...I don't want to think about Windows 2000 or XP running on a K6/2 500. *shudder* SLOW...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 16 of 32, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

...I don't want to think about Windows 2000 or XP running on a K6/2 500. *shudder* SLOW...

I'm running XP on a K6-2 400MHz and it aint slow, runs like a breeze (I'm pretty sure my 448MB SDRAM helps it).

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)