Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 208, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

Yeah, basically, except that they work fine VDMS9x works fine with, for example, Terminal Velocity.

Yeah, but the interval at which DMA has to be performed is different, so one game might go easy on that and xfre, say every 15ms which the driver may take; then here comes another game that uses 5ms and kaboom. Unless the game is also doing other voodoo stuff (like harrassing I/O), in which case again the driver may have trouble getting CPU time and kaboom again.

V.

Reply 42 of 208, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Set it to 2-2 or 5-5 (i.e. identical values, no slide room) and see if still varies from game to game or if it conistently craps out.
V.

Reply 43 of 208, by amw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Excellent! I found the NTVDM site a while ago and bookmarked it, hoping i'd get to install XP someday, but now you have Alpha support for 95, and i am happy 😀 Thank you for the work, guys.

It works great for some smaller games (Pizza Worm etc); i still need to try it on some of the bigger ones. Dune 2 plays the digitized speech in the intro, though it hangs when selecting a house... but this might be due to my cheesy attempt at installing without rebooting. What kind of bug reports are you guys looking for? ("Game X hangs"? "I'm 1337 and used Soft-ICE and can tell you exactly what's going on"? etc)

Regarding one of the posters not being able to install the "vcredist" CAB. This won't happen on Windows ME, because Windows ME already has the updated versions of the DLLs. The .EXE isn't corrupt 😀 The lame thing in ME is you need to set the environment variables in Windows because AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS don't work. You can set this up by going Start-Run "msconfig" (no quotes). My cheesy no-reboot thing was because it's kinda flakey if you don't reboot when you've added new environment variables.

To the developer: I have no idea whatsoever how VxDs work, so i might be way off the mark here... but would it be possible to do DOS interrupts to do a "panic" quit to DOS if something happens? mov ax, 4c00h ; int 21h or whatever it is. Even if the DOS box hung straight after that, it'd be nice to know what kind of call failed. Just a thought, i'm probably totally mixed up.

Thanks again anyway guys 😀

Reply 44 of 208, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After doing, um, stuff (web browsing with Mozilla) for a while and then trying to run VDMSound9x it BSODs with this error: exception 0B at 0147:00003279.

Also, the first time I try to run VDMSound9x it DOESN'T load and when I run VXDSBOOM:

VXDSLOAD caused an exception c06d007eH
in module ATL.DLL at 0167:5f3e9873.
Registers:
EAX=0063fb8a CS=0167 EIP=5f3e9873 EFLGS=00000246
EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=0063fb4e EBP=0063fb7e
ECX=c15c0070 DS=016f ESI=5f3ea98c FS=2d1f
EDX=8161e074 ES=016f EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 45 f8 e9 ff 00 00 00 57 ff 76 08 ff 15 dc a0
Stack dump:
00000000 5f3e0000 8162c580 00000024
5f3ea98c 5f3ed634 5f3ea930 00000001
5f3eae50 00000000 00000000 00000485
0063fc36 5f3e8b2e 000000a8 0063fb5a

After that, it loads fine every OTHER time. What's that about?

Specs -
Intel Celeron 450MHz (Intel Mobile 440BX AGP)
64MB SDRAM
ESS Technology Maestro-2E
ATi RAGE Mobility-P (8MB VRAM)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 45 of 208, by Z_God

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would it be possible to only use the joystick emulation of VDMS9x? I've got a computer with a SB16 it in, but I can't get the dos emulation of the joystick drivers to work. Would it be possible to use VDMS9x for only the joystick emulation and not the sound emulation? Thanks in advance.

Reply 46 of 208, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it might work to install the LaunchPad addon and then make a launchpad shortcut for it and go into the advanced properties and uncheck emulation of everything but the joystick.

Reply 48 of 208, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oops forgot which thread I was in. The SB16's joystick port should work fine for DOS games without any drivers installed in Win9x. You might have to set a jumper on the card or run a plug-n-play utility from Creative to enable the joystick port though.

Maybe you're trying to use a USB joystick in DOS games though? I can't answer that one since I don't use the Win9x port of VDMS. *stops posting in this thread*

Reply 49 of 208, by Z_God

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

Maybe you're trying to use a USB joystick in DOS games though?

Well, I'm using a DirectConnect Gamepad from Thrustmaster with the gameport instead of just an analog joystick/gamepad. That's why I need the emulation.
I found out that the emulation that comes with the gamepad doesn't work in Commander Keen 4, but does work in Wacky Wheels btw. Would VDMS9x's joystick emulation work in Commander Keen?

Reply 53 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover ...applied patches to restore user access to DOS.

I don't think that would be needed. As I understand it, only the "true" DOS access was blocked. DOS prompts in WinME should work like they would in Win9x.

I would still recommend patching it though...

Reply 55 of 208, by someone42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, I'm the one who's currently developing this win9x port. I'm glad to see it is working for some people. I'm currently recoding the entire thing since the version you all have is unstable as hell. I'll post updates here from now on.

For now, attached is another version that should be more reliable. Follow the installation instructions at the start of this thread and simply replace the files in vdmsound(win9x)'s directory with those in the attached file.

Note that you do *not* need to run vxdsboom.exe before you close the dos box, vxdsound.vxd should detect the closing dos box and unload vdmsound for you.

Any bug reports/errors would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Filename
    vxds0003.zip
    File size
    42.06 KiB
    Downloads
    2019 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 56 of 208, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome aboard. Glad to see you've finally come. 😀
Honestly I noticed very little instability with the other version. The only real big differences from it and the WinNT version were the 0x0000002 "Tip of the Day" error, crashes when running VXDSBOOM, and crashes running it every other time (probably because I didn't usually call VXDSBOOM in the same window, but in the next one I opened 😒). Anyway, fab! All the Win9x users out there that are realising that their sound card doesn't have any DOS support will be thanking you. (Well, until they find a game that needs pure DOS, but I'm sure you can write a TSR for that eventuality too, eh? 😉

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 57 of 208, by Natreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good work!! After a long time I can run Ultima 7 like in my old 486 😁 with good speed, good music and good sounds

(I have tested every ultima and they all work except u8 which works with u8win9x and uw2 wichch gives me a sound failure)

keep the good work 😁

What about some pcspeaker features? could it be possible? I have seen dosbox and they have something like that (I prefer vdmsound better)

Reply 58 of 208, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

someone42: I have a suggestion. Include a readme.txt file that just gives us some basic information.

Do we still need to put the line SET VDMSPATH=C:\VDMSOUND in autoexec.bat? Is it advisable to put the SET BLASTER= line in dosdrv.bat, so that DOS programs will see the settings? And what are the default port/IRQ/DMA settings? Is Adlib supported? Soundblaster? What is it emulating???

== Jez ==

Reply 59 of 208, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Natreg What about some pcspeaker features?

I wouldn't expect Vlad to implement speaker support in VDMSound as it's very different from emulating a soundcard.

I have seen dosbox and they have something like that (I prefer vdmsound better)

That because it's an actual PC emulator, not a soundcard emulator. What title is it that you're trying to play using PC speaker as audio? At the moment, I can't recall any that require PC-Speaker audio which can't run properly in DosBox.