VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shinra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, recently started using GliDOS to play one of my favourite games Redguard. For the past few days I've been enjoying playing through the game after the installation and set up went very smoothly. The logo was annoying but I intended to buy the unlock code today until I encountered a big problem. Just to make this clear, absolutely nothing on my system has changed to my knowledge between now and last night when I was last playing happily.

I execute GliDOS and since my "Adjust" setting are all fine I click Start Game (as usual) and the DOS command appears and then the warning about DOS cannot access the Hard Disk which I click Ignore to. All normal up to now. But instead of "Glide Server" opening and the game running absolutely nothing happens. The process ends and I can retry as much as I please to no effect.

Here's exactly what I see, after I click ignore nothing happens.
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2006/glidosib3.jpg

Naturally I checked all the settings and they're the same as what worked for me up till now. The disc is in and in working order (as it always autoruns when inserted) so I can only imagine that GliDOS would be the problem. I'm left confused because I haven't changed anything at all, my files are all the same, drivers are up to date and unchanged since Redgaurd and GliDOS was installed. I reinstalled GliDOS but that changed nothing.

Hope you can help me, I want to get back to playing 😢

====
Windows XP Pro SP2 (Fully updated)
3 GHZ Intel P4 Processor
1GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia 7600 GS (512MB)
Creative Soundblaster Audigy
====

Attachments

• Filename
    glidos.JPG
    File size
    66.35 KiB
    Downloads
    359 downloads
    File comment
    Screenshot of GliDOS.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Shinra on 2008-01-29, 17:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 19, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glidos doesn't wear out. 😁

If you haven't changed a setting, then its something in your system that has changed - an automatic update or similar.

Your best bet is to use VDos32. That will isolate Redguard from system changes.

Reply 2 of 19, by Shinra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
I already said I know there was no changes between the game working and not working. I thought maybe the screenshot could tell s […]
Show full quote

I already said I know there was no changes between the game working and not working. I thought maybe the screenshot could tell something of the problem. "Doesn't Bad command or file name" indicate something?

I did reinstall redguard and glidos again so I understand that the problem must likely be in my system since I know that originally for me Redguard and GliDOS were running perfectly. I just don't know why it isn't now 🙁

If you disregard that I said there were no system changes and somebody has just freshly installed their game (Redguard in this case) and GliDOS, has set it up as correctly as they could but gets my symptoms described above what would you recommend?

I'll definitely give VDos32 a try if you think it could help. I thought it was only for Vista operating systems but thanks 😀

EDIT: Thanks for recommending VDos32 it's given me back gameplay! I was disappointed with your reply at first glance but you've made my day! Now I just need to get the background music working again and I'll be all set.

Reply 4 of 19, by Shinra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah that's disappointing. I used to get the BGM before it all went bad. I suppose I can just play the game without. If you have any ideas about that I'll keep checking this thread and the forums. 😀

Reply 6 of 19, by Shinra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get frequent crashes with Glidos and VDos32 unfortunately. Sometimes it causes the entire OS to freeze but this time I got an error message. Maybe it means something to you.

ERROR!(40) Error during 3D manager build.

Source file information available
===============================================================================
Occured in 3dobjman.c
At line 417
Program terminated successfully

Reply 7 of 19, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh yeah, I get crashes with Redguard under VDos32, only when going in or out of a building though. I got into a habbit of saving before changing location. It's annoying: I haven't been able to track down the cause. Do you get crashes in other places?

I've never had it freeze the OS. That shouldbn't be possible. VDos32 should isolate you from that sort of problem. <CTR><ESC> and <CTR><ALT><DEL> not get you out?

Reply 8 of 19, by Shinra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The OS freezing happened once that I remember but maybe it was just something else. Yeah it is just when entering in and out of buildings. Not really worth trying to play if that is always happening though.

Reply 9 of 19, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm, I played the whole game like that. I just saved before changing location.

It is something I'd like to fix, but it's going to be extremely difficult to track down. It could be a bug in the game itself that shows up in one DOS environment but not another. Or I could have just one case of enulating an instruction wrong in VDos32.

Reply 10 of 19, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Going back to running without VDos32, honestly 99.999% it has to be something changed on your computer. It worked then it didn't: that's a change in itself.

If it were Glidos, it would have to be a change in Glidos since you installed it. How would that happen. It's much more likely, by a huge factor, that Windows has taken it upon itself to alter something. My computer today decided on it's own to reconfigure audio from 5.1 to stereo. It does that every few months - go figure.

Reply 13 of 19, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Glidos wrote:

My latest computer wont run any of the games supported by Glidos without the use of VDos32.

Mine's 5 years old and I will be upgrading soon. Does this mean I need to keep my old PC to do TRX texturing?

Reply 15 of 19, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I upgraded my computer recently (Dual Core processor, Radeon HD3850) and on XP SP2 everything works fine with Glidos and TR1 - textures, audio pack work flawlessly. Just noticed that anisotropic filtering (set in Catalyst drivers) is not working with TR1 but I really can't remember if it worked on my previous rig.

Paul -> Did you look at the attachment to the first post? It looks that VDMSound file is not loaded due to either too long name in access path or VDMSound not correctly installed. This is probably the reason why the game doesn't start.

Reply 17 of 19, by Shinra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, ok. I think I might reinstall Redguard, GliDOS and VDMSound again and see if that helps. 😀

Edit: And of course it did 😵

I thought posting that screenshot could help. Thanks until something else crops up!

Reply 19 of 19, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glidos wrote:

Oh yeah, I get crashes with Redguard under VDos32, only when going in or out of a building though. I got into a habbit of saving before changing location. It's annoying: I haven't been able to track down the cause. Do you get crashes in other places?

I've never had it freeze the OS. That shouldbn't be possible. VDos32 should isolate you from that sort of problem. <CTR><ESC> and <CTR><ALT><DEL> not get you out?

I believe this is fixed now in v0.8b of VDos32, which is included with v1.43 of Glidos.