VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Octopuss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
So I bought this Carmageddon CD some time in last 5 years or so and only recently found out about Glidos... I can get it to run, but until now haven't figured out how is it with SplatPack. It's said SP is already included in this version of the CD, but I can't seem to find any of the tracks and stuff... Anyone knows what gives? Will downloading SP extra work? I installed both the patches, and realized the 2 voodoo*.exe executables are for Carmageddon and SP. Running the latter doesn't work though - I am getting the insert cd message...

Edit: also, did anyone manage to get the 3dfx version, glidos-emulated, to work under DOSBox?

Reply 2 of 5, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Octopuss wrote:

Hello!
So I bought this Carmageddon CD some time in last 5 years or so and only recently found out about Glidos... I can get it to run, but until now haven't figured out how is it with SplatPack. It's said SP is already included in this version of the CD, but I can't seem to find any of the tracks and stuff... Anyone knows what gives? Will downloading SP extra work? I installed both the patches, and realized the 2 voodoo*.exe executables are for Carmageddon and SP. Running the latter doesn't work though - I am getting the insert cd message...

Edit: also, did anyone manage to get the 3dfx version, glidos-emulated, to work under DOSBox?

I have the Max Pack (U.S version) and it's a 2-cd bundle in a single jewel case like the picture shown below. I know it may be kind of offensive to state the obvious in situations like this, but have you tried opening the backside? 😁

Also, Glidos 1.41 (and older) don't seem to like Splat Pack, the colors are a complete mess and this shouldn't be news to anybody here as the issue is brought up everynow and then by Carma fans like me yet Glidos' developer repeatedly refuses to get the godamn thing off eBay and nail them bugs once and for all 😁

osuy5g.jpg

Reply 3 of 5, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I ought to get around to that. I haven't had a lot of time to work on Glidos/Vdos32 lately, and probably the more pressing problem is getting VDos32 to support Carmageddon, so that it can run under Vista. Last time I looked at it, I managed to get it working as far as the first frame of the race start.

Reply 5 of 5, by Ceekur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Carmageddon Splat Pack has been playable with Glidos for me. This is not the one included in Max Pack set though; I bought Carma and Splat Pack separately. Anyway, I notice this texture glitch seems to depend on the camera angle.

*click on the pictures to view in full 1280 x 1024 res*

glidoscarma4brpj7.jpg

In this picture, most of the textures are fine, except the ones in the far distance. As a side note, increasing the YON seems to help prevent this glitch from appearing on close textures - this is basically the draw distance. Use the Edit Mode cheat to increase the scenery cut-off far beyond what the Options menu allows. It will stay after you exit the game - just don't adjust it in the normal Options menu after doing so, or it will reset back.

glidoscarma4criu9.jpg

And in this picture, I turn the camera just slightly, and all the textures glitch again.

So I definitely have this texture issue with some objects. This does make certain tracks, such as Drown in the Sumps, unplayable. The streets and almost all the wall textures are entirely black. Other tracks, like Armourgeddon are definitely playable, but hard to see in some areas. Some lucky places, like the ones featured in Slayride or Totally Twisted, have absolutely no texture problems, except very minor ones on the race arrow signs.

glidoscarma2rrv7.jpg

The extra draw distance can make this game look very beautiful in fact.

Just my input on Glidos and Carmageddon. Other words, it's awesome. 😁