VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rennervision

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I just finished building a dual boot PC for both Windows 98 and XP. I have an issue - and I'm curious as to what could be causing the problem, since I thought my 98 partition would have no problems playing older games.

Basically, if I try to play Tomb Raider (with or without Glidos) in 98, the menu screen keeps spinning around. If I manage to start playing, Lara starts jumping around erratically.

Yes, I am aware of problems with certain joysticks/gamepads. I am using a keyboard with an old Soundblaster card that does not even have a gameport connection. The weird part is if I boot up in XP, I'm obviously using the same equimpment, but there is no such control problems when I play through Glidos.

Are there any other ideas out there as to why I can't play an old TR game on an OS that was designed to play it? 😖

Reply 1 of 8, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tomb Raider had been around 2 years when Windows 98 came out, so I don't think you can really say "I can't play an old TR game on an OS that was designed to play it". Heck, you couldn't even play it in Win95 properly -- like most games of the time, you needed to boot to DOS to play it successfully.

I'm not sure what your problem would be though. Sometimes simply pressing Esc a lot on the main menu can stop weird things from happening.

Reply 2 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its the gamepad thing. I think VDMSound supports a virtual gamepad. When you play without Glidos, do you still use VDMSound?

If your system has some sort of virtual gamepad (under Device Manager), try changing its enabling state.

Reply 3 of 8, by rennervision

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, if I try it in XP then, yes, I'm using VDM Sound. (Haven't tried it without Glidos though.) And it appears to play flawlessly in XP.

In 98, I'm not using VDM Sound with Glidos. Yet, I get that weird menu spinning. If I try it without Glidos, I get menu spinning, and a black screen if I manage to start a game. (I suspect that's a video card driver issue, however.)

Obviously, it's not a big deal since I can always boot up in XP and play, but it strikes me as odd that my new machine can't play TR in 98, when my older machine that had 98 installed could. I was mainly curious if something is set up incorrectly in 98 that would cause this spinning, but since I am using no joystick, gamepad, or gameport connection, I'm kind of at a loss.

Reply 4 of 8, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Out of curiosity, and if you're the kind of guy that loves to live dangerously, you could still try installing VDMS 9x on your Win98 set-up. Though of course it's rather pointless if you have TR running correctly under WinXP.

Reply 5 of 8, by rennervision

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's fine. Just thought I would give a heads up that apparently game controllers are not the only thing that cause that uncontrollable spinning. I would love to know the solution, but I guess I should just accept it as a mystery for now.

Reply 6 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is the game controller thing. Its probably something like the driver that comes with your sound card is installing the its game controller part even though the card doesn't have the hardware.

Have you checked for a game controller in Device Manager. If there is one there, try disabling it or configuring it. If there isn't one there, try a hardware search for one.

Reply 7 of 8, by despised7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I had the same problem , I use a recoil controller with the joy2key on tomb raider, and the same thing was happening a lot.....spinning menu and running all around the game when i didnt press any movement on the controller . When you hit the analog button on the game controller and use the pad, instead of the sticks to control her this problem never happens.

Reply 8 of 8, by rennervision

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I guess it was sound card related. I finally got around to trying a different sound card. (Unlike the one before, this one actually has a gameport.) Even though my new one has a gameport and the last one didn't, there's no more menu spinning. Strange.