VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kidd Bowyer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I'm currently replaying TR1, and I thought it'd be a great personal project to try and make my very own HD Texture Pack. I understand the basics, as outlined in this tutorial, but there are a few things that're throwing me for a loop.

The biggest issue is transparency. When capturing textures through Glidos, stuff with see-through parts shows those parts as a dull brown.
lApKD6r.png gG3qSz8.png

Presumably the brown is "masked out" when the textures are applied in-game, but if I tell Glidos to "overwrite textures" and point it towards what I've captured...the brown is still there, and the object looks weird.

The tutorial also states that any textures I create need to be saved as a 24-bit .bmp for Glidos to apply them, but the texture packs on TRXTra seem to all be .pngs.

Any help I could have with either of these issues would be infinitely appreciated, and may just lead to there being another texture pack for people to play around with. 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, the tutorial is old. pngs are a much better option. Rather than trying to match the brown, you should use true transparency in the png. There are lots of new techniques, that developed over time, that aren't explained on that page, but all the information is here on Vogons in various threads. If the project goes well, I can tell you how to translate the results into a pack for TombATI, or I may be able to do it for you. Would be great to have another pack. Be warned though, it's a lot of work.

Reply 2 of 7, by Kidd Bowyer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll be sure to study the forums as much as I can. As for it being a big undertaking, I found that out just a little while after I started capturing stuff. Lara's Home and the Title Screen alone have around 430(?) seperate textures!

Heck, I spent [REDACTED] hours working on the main hall's floor tile texture, only to find that:

a) It doesn't quite align properly
b) The use of dark blue rather than actual black was probably a deliberate choice on the devs part, and something I should try to emulate.

9KRIeKF.jpg

I have a feeling that this'll be a pretty long project, but at the moment, I'm still looking forward to it. 😀

Reply 4 of 7, by Kidd Bowyer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote on 2020-05-03, 08:18:

Looks like that image may have been captured with a slight perspective transformation applied to it. Gimp has tools to alter things like that.

I really do need to look into Gimp more. 😀

Also, I wanted to double-check - is the maximum resolution for individual textures still 256 x 256? I'm asking because, while it's a vast improvement from the originals (some of which are around 30x30), a lot of tutorials I'm finding for how to draw textures keep mentioning that they recommend an image's file size should be around 500x500, or sometimes 1080x1080. I'm fine with making things that're 256 x 256, I'm just worried that in a year or two, it'll suddenly be "below par".

Reply 6 of 7, by Kidd Bowyer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Welp, looks like I'm coming back to this old idea for a bit!

I wanted to ask, with the "air bubble" textures ((80--136)(40--96).bmp and (176--232)(0--56).bmp), is there any discernible difference between them? What are they used for, exactly?

Because I can tell that they're the bubbles that come from Lara as she swims, but I can't figure out why there'd be two of them!