Common searches

Screamer 2

Topic actions

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been experimenting with Screamer 2 a bit. As I thought it makes heavy use of logical-frame-buffer writes. It also does a lot of LFB reads too, which is weird.

Anyway, here is a version of Glide2x.ovl with all the LFB stuff disabled. You lose all the menus so you have to guess your way through them, but when you actually get to drive its all fairly smooth. Shows it may be worth some more work.

Attachments

• Filename
    glide2x.zip
    File size
    10.75 KiB
    Downloads
    382 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IF you try to play under Windows 2000 or XP, Screamer complains about not being able to find H:\somethingorother. Messing with Screamer.cfg fixed this. Here's the fiddled version.

Attachments

• Filename
    screamer.zip
    File size
    138 Bytes
    Downloads
    515 downloads
    File license

Reply 2 of 16, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll test it 😁 (He says, palms sweating, heart beating too fast)

I'll let you know a bit later. 😉

I've been too busy playing with Amiga, Snes, Nes, Atari, AtariST, MAME, etc... Emulators.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 3 of 16, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Holy sh*t, this runs about 400fps, 🤣 !!

I had to run it at 1280x1024 and with 4x FSAA 8x AA, just to slow it down to make it playable.

Speaking of resolution, any chance of adding 1280x960, Paul ?
As this is more of a naitive resolution for the PC.

But looks like you are getting somewhere.

As a sidenote, I'm finding (after doing some serious testing) that a lot of 3dfx win games suffer from the same thing.
i.e. Overlaid text slowing down fps, tremendously.
I wonder if the problem lies in glide2x.dll and not the ovl file ?

Also, it looks like Fabio's attempts to get rid of the black outlined objects, have caused this effect

Attachments

• screamer.jpg
    Filename
    screamer.jpg
    File size
    17.63 KiB
    Views
    File license

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
2Gb RAM
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 5 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CraigG wrote:

Holy sh*t, this runs about 400fps, 🤣 !!

I had to run it at 1280x1024 and with 4x FSAA 8x AA, just to slow it down to make it playable.

Wow it didn't run that fast for me. This is bad news if the games speed alters with the frame rate. Were you using ControlJudderFix? May be worth seting that to a high number like 200 say. Or maybe not using it at all.

Looks like you are getting transparency problems. I get some (with the birds flying across the road and some people watching) but generally the trees are correct for me. Ah, I think I'm using v007b3 of OpenGlide. Something might have changed there.

Speaking of resolution, any chance of adding 1280x960, Paul ?
As this is more of a naitive resolution for the PC.

Possibly. There may be problems adding ones that aren't defined Glide modes. It might mean that Glidos would be restricted to working only with OpenGLide, but on the other hand this is already the case simply because OpenGLide is the only wrapper that currently handles all the Glidos games.

But looks like you are getting somewhere. As a sidenote, I'm finding (after doing some serious testing) that a lot of 3dfx win […]
Show full quote

But looks like you are getting somewhere.

As a sidenote, I'm finding (after doing some serious testing) that a lot of 3dfx win games suffer from the same thing.
i.e. Overlaid text slowing down fps, tremendously.
I wonder if the problem lies in glide2x.dll and not the ovl file ?

It is just a very difficult thing to handle efficiently in a wrapper. It could be an unsolvable problem. Fabio had ideas for a better way, using Direct3D, but that almost certainly would mean porting the whole wrapper to Direct3D - very similar to starting again from scratch.

Really the problem is that Glide makes it too easy to access the LFB, so Glide games use it in ways that an OpenGL program would never dare.

Also, it looks like Fabio's attempts to get rid of the black outlined objects, have caused this effect

That's interesting. One of Fabio's changes actually improved the speed of LFB access through Glidos by at least a factor of 2, but I guess something since then could have slowed it down.

Reply 6 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's another Glide2x.ovl. All the LFB stuff is back but without so much of a speed hit. The writes are done just once a frame after all the triangles are rendered. There's a problem in that LFB writes that are intended to provide a background for 3D rendered stuff actually cover the 3D stuff up. I may be able to fix that though.

Attachments

• Filename
    glide2x.zip
    File size
    10.75 KiB
    Downloads
    363 downloads
    File license

Reply 7 of 16, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cheers mate. 😀

Happy new year to you, and everyone else.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
2Gb RAM
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 8 of 16, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just tested the new glide.ovl, and it now runs at 15fps locked.

I used FRAPS to test, and although all the menus are back in place and the fps jumps around in them. It's the 15fps lock when playing, thats making the game jerk around a lot.

But still, looks like you are getting somewhere, Paul.
Although, going from 400fps (menus) to 150fps (ingame), down to 15fps, takes a little getting used to 😁

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
2Gb RAM
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 9 of 16, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Paul, might I suggest the obvious? Implement a framerate limiter, specifiable in OpenGLid.ini. Default to 60fps. I was going to say switch the refresh rate of the monitor depending on what the framerate limit was set to, but I think it would be a better idea to have it run at the maximum refresh rate of the monitor for the specified resolution. It should be a pretty simple matter, and especially useful for, like, running on a Cray. 😜

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 10 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CraigG wrote:

Just tested the new glide.ovl, and it now runs at 15fps locked.

That's a shame. I can't think of anything else to try at the moment: LFB stuff is just expensive. I'll keep thinking.

I do have one more Glide2x.ovl version. Shouldn't be any slower and should sort out some of the menu screens.

Attachments

• Filename
    glide2x.zip
    File size
    10.75 KiB
    Downloads
    394 downloads
    File license

Reply 11 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Paul, might I suggest the obvious? Implement a framerate limiter, specifiable in OpenGLid.ini. Default to 60fps.

Yeh for games (like Descent 2) that go wrong at high frame rates, this could be handy.

Reply 13 of 16, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still locked at 14fps, 🙁 Oh well, Thanks for trying, mate.

How about yourself ? Have you tried the version I gave you ?
And do you get the same results ?

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
2Gb RAM
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 14 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CraigG wrote:

Still locked at 14fps, 🙁 Oh well, Thanks for trying, mate.

Yeh, that version wouldn't be any faster, but it should improve the menus, so you can see the cars you are selecting and the teams.

How about yourself ? Have you tried the version I gave you ?
And do you get the same results ?

Yes but I wasn't measuring frame rate so I just noticed differences in smoothness. For me its playable, but not as smooth as I'd like.

How are you measuring frame rate, BTW?

Reply 15 of 16, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's what I use, Paul.

http://www.fraps.com/

If you could get closer to even 20fps, that would make a whole heap of difference, I think.
The trouble with driving games is that they require fast precise movements. But when the frame rate is low, you tend to get a slight delay in turning responce.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
2Gb RAM
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 16 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CraigG wrote:

Here's what I use, Paul.

http://www.fraps.com/

Thanks mate, I'll give that a try. Be interesting to see what frame
rate I'm getting here.

If you could get closer to even 20fps, that would make a whole heap of difference, I think.

Might be possible, although Fabio has already optimised what I think was (and still is) the main bottle neck.