Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 3160 of 3164, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote on 2020-07-18, 07:47:

Epic's "Fire Fight" from a few years later had some similar gameplay elements and could qualify as a near-successor. Free-roaming, top-down shooters are scarce though.

Engh, kinda. I've played the full version of Fire Fight (I don't own it) and I know from experience that it's a neat game with some fun to be had but is more of a level-based structuring where you clear specific objectives while scouting around mostly linear levels and work with a turreted ship with a fairly unique and unusual arsenal of weapons at its disposal. While it has a few similarities to Zone 66 I would definitely consider them to be very different games. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3161 of 3164, by Kosmonaut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kosmonaut wrote on 2013-03-19, 04:33:
Hey I heard about your videos via LGR on youtube last week and have since watched most of the episodes, I am hooked, great stuff […]
Show full quote

Hey I heard about your videos via LGR on youtube last week and have since watched most of the episodes, I am hooked, great stuff!:)

Can you please do another video sometime like the 2000 shareware games video? One of my most cherished memories as a kid was browsing through shareware compilation disks, magazine cover disks and what not, running random games I find and not having a clue what to expect, sometimes being pleasantly surprised and sometimes being horrified. For me, that was what DOS gaming was all about! I would love to see another improv video where you just randomly run some games from a compilation disk, maybe you could do some more from that 2000 shareware games cd.

Regarding youtube, honestly it should be fine, worst that can happen is that after a year or so you get a lot of views and youtube start to scrutinize and possibly take down a few videos (although I think this is unlikely), in which case you can just return to blip and you would have still benefited from the much increased exposure which you can direct to your pixelmusement site if they want to watch the rest of the series, which makes you better off overall. You should also be able to disable comments on your videos if you want.

Also, I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but you should watch your habbit of saying "like I mean" between sentences/clauses, it sounds a bit off, sorry to be a nitpick, your commentary is still great!

(emphasis mine) - so when do I get my royalty check? 😁

But seriously, happy this has turned out to be a successful series for you and happy I may have helped nudge you in that direction!

Reply 3162 of 3164, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Mod 8 - Level Editing - SkyRoads is online!

I was really surprised at first how little there was in the way of custom SkyRoads content and editors despite there being TONS of clones and remakes and such. Then when I actually looked into how SkyRoads levels are stored on disk it made too much sense...

But yeah, the editing process itself isn't too bad, though the only working editor I can find is pretty cumbersome to use at first and takes a lot of practice to get any sort of design speed out of it, as you're tripping over its controls every step of the way. In the end though, it does the job, and made it possible for me to put together six custom levels for everyone to download and try out and provide some insights into how levels in SkyRoads actually function!

Also...

Kosmonaut wrote on 2020-07-30, 14:43:

(emphasis mine) - so when do I get my royalty check? :D

But seriously, happy this has turned out to be a successful series for you and happy I may have helped nudge you in that direction!

I wouldn't say "successful" yet, but certainly well enough that I'm paying my half of the bills. I would need to hit twice my current income to properly call it successful because then I'd be earning minimum wage! :B

All joking aside though, getting Patreon stuff going early was the smartest decision I've made by far as it's helped to demonstrate to me that I have one of the most loyal and friendly followings of just about anyone on YouTube; something I am extraordinarily grateful for as I would not have been able to bring the series as far as I have without all the support! (Seriously, only 10% of my income from making ADG and Shovelware Diggers comes from ad revenue and the other 90% comes from Patreon!)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 3163 of 3164, by VileR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ha, I had no idea that there even *was* an editor for Skyroads. Nice going!

BTW, I think this is the first time I've ever heard "xmas" pronounced as written ("ex-mass"). Or was that supposed to be "XMS edition"? 😁

web  /   blog   /   tube

Reply 3164 of 3164, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileR wrote on 2020-08-01, 13:19:

BTW, I think this is the first time I've ever heard "xmas" pronounced as written ("ex-mass"). Or was that supposed to be "XMS edition"? :D

If it visually said "Christmas" I would've called it that instead. I prefer not to mince words as I already have trouble actually saying them! :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)