VOGONS

Doom 'MBF' for DOS, Maintenance release 2.04

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 203, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apologies for a noobish question, but what other advantages does the version with HDPMI32 have apart from solving certain hardware compatibility issues (if I understood that part correctly)?

Also, which build (I've noticed binaries optimised for specific processors in previous posts here) would be recommended for use in DOSBox?

DOS Games Archive | List of free open source games | List of free closed source games

Reply 201 of 203, by crvs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MrFlibble wrote on 2021-01-07, 16:22:

Apologies for a noobish question, but what other advantages does the version with HDPMI32 have apart from solving certain hardware compatibility issues (if I understood that part correctly)?

Also, which build (I've noticed binaries optimised for specific processors in previous posts here) would be recommended for use in DOSBox?

Comparing to MBF 2.04 from start topic, MBF HDPMI also includes other user patches (in particular Sigil) and several small bug fixes, and is using newer compiler. Target processor of my builds is 486. In my tests in DosBox (with default settings) latest MBF HDPMI is also slightly faster, giving avg 183fps (vs 178 fps) in low-res, and 68.3fps (vs 66.5fps) in hi-res in demo3.

Reply 202 of 203, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

maybe you can also suggest something for FastDoom source port to be faster?
FastDoom. A new Doom port for DOS, optimized to be as fast as possible for 386/486 personal computers!

https://hexenworld.org/forum/index.php (Heretic's & HeXen's forum)
https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 203 of 203, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I applaud the changed by crvs,
- He seems to have fixed the issue I had with more modern compilers, so with these issues fixed, fine with me. (Indeed I have no memory warning when exitting the game in Windows 98. IIRC that was what made me revert at the time.)
- He fixed a memory bug with a sound driver. Did not check it, but fine.
- The SegFault error message when exitting in windows XP is gone - Great!
- Sigil support - good.
- CWSDPMI replacement was something on my todo list - fine as well.

So I tested crvs latest mbf today on retro hardware:
i440BX, Pentium 2, 3DFX Voodoo 3, Crystal CS4232 Sound with Midi board (SB Pro or WSS mode), CRT screen.
All was well. Had a few issues with sound, but seems OK now after moving the ISA card one slot down.

Just one remark. The mbf.cfg of the crvs version needs different keycodes. You cannot use the previous mbf.cfg with it. And I do not know what causes this.

I will update the entry page of this topic to link to the latest crvs version as well. (Edit: Done)

RaVeN-05 wrote on 2021-01-07, 22:18:

maybe you can also suggest something for FastDoom source port to be faster?
FastDoom. A new Doom port for DOS, optimized to be as fast as possible for 386/486 personal computers!

ViTi95 went full into planar mode X there. AFAIK not just by using the video mode but buffering everything in planar as the original DOS doom did. I don't see benefit in mixing that approach with the different linear modes of MBF. It is quite different internally. Just pick the one that works best on a particular system..

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul