VOGONS

Reply 960 of 985, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does it crash right at the start? Or does it crash ingame? Also, does this happen with other executables such as fdoom.exe or fdoom13h.exe?

EDIT: I think I've found the issue, it's crashing on cards with 16Mb or more of VRAM

https://github.com/viti95/FastDoom/issues/185

EDIT2: NOLFB fixes this issue, not ideal but better than nothing until I fix the issue

EDIT3: I've fixed this! Turns out DPMI function 0x800 cannot map more than 8Mb of memory. Why? Really I don't know. I've added a cap to limit the VRAM memory available to 8Mb, now al "broken" cards work just fine

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 961 of 985, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ViTi95 wrote on 2024-04-03, 07:29:
Does it crash right at the start? Or does it crash ingame? Also, does this happen with other executables such as fdoom.exe or fd […]
Show full quote

Does it crash right at the start? Or does it crash ingame? Also, does this happen with other executables such as fdoom.exe or fdoom13h.exe?

EDIT: I think I've found the issue, it's crashing on cards with 16Mb or more of VRAM

https://github.com/viti95/FastDoom/issues/185

EDIT2: NOLFB fixes this issue, not ideal but better than nothing until I fix the issue

EDIT3: I've fixed this! Turns out DPMI function 0x800 cannot map more than 8Mb of memory. Why? Really I don't know. I've added a cap to limit the VRAM memory available to 8Mb, now al "broken" cards work just fine

Thanks! I will try to compile and test again.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 963 of 985, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ViTi95 wrote on 2024-04-03, 16:53:

I'm going to upload a new bugfixing release, many cards do fail on VESA modes right now due to this issue.

thanks, I do appreciate it! I am having little success trying to get Open Watcom to install in DosBox!

Is there any benefit in using the updated DOS32A?

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 964 of 985, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New bugfixing release! FastDoom 0.9.9b:

https://github.com/viti95/FastDoom/releases/tag/0.9.9b

Changelog:

• Hercules InColor support
  • Mode-X 320x240 mode support (great for old laptops without VESA support and 640x480 display)
  • Fixed MDA debug, now text don't blink all the time
  • Fixed issue #183, random crashes on low-res executables
  • Fixed issue #62, videocards with more than 8Mb crashed on VESA modes
  • Removed "-singletics" commandline parameter. It was only used for debugging purposes.
  • Upgraded build scripts
  • Removed MS-DOS/Windows build scripts. Those were pretty much outdated, and all tooling now is Linux based. It's possible to build FastDoom on Windows using WSL2.

Reply 965 of 985, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ViTi95 wrote on 2024-04-03, 17:19:

New bugfixing release! FastDoom 0.9.9b:
<snip>

Confirmed working on a GeForce 4 MX440 AGP.

It also worked previously on a 32mb TNT2 with BIOS 2.05.17.02.04. I flashed the BIOS from one card to another and that fixed it... So I wonder why that is.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 966 of 985, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Definetely there is a bug in the DOS Extender, DPMI function 0800H. It fails if we try to map more than 8Mb. This issue also happens on other games, and it turns out that's why NOLFB program was created (NOLFB - Disables LFB enabling DOS games to fallback to VESA 1.2 modes). There are cards that limit the amount of VESA VRAM available on the VBIOS, for example both my Geforce 256 cards (32Mb) were working totally fine, as they limit the amount available to 4Mb. I guess that's why one VBIOS did work for you and the other didn't, one had to limit VESA and the other don't.

Reply 967 of 985, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ViTi95 wrote on 2024-04-03, 18:30:

Definetely there is a bug in the DOS Extender, DPMI function 0800H. It fails if we try to map more than 8Mb. This issue also happens on other games, and it turns out that's why NOLFB program was created (NOLFB - Disables LFB enabling DOS games to fallback to VESA 1.2 modes). There are cards that limit the amount of VESA VRAM available on the VBIOS, for example both my Geforce 256 cards (32Mb) were working totally fine, as they limit the amount available to 4Mb. I guess that's why one VBIOS did work for you and the other didn't, one had to limit VESA and the other don't.

Aha! That explains it... I wonder if there is a way to modify a newer GeForce BIOS to do this, but that's a different topic...

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 968 of 985, by Darmok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I tried to test version FastDoom 0.9.9 and found that compatibility with saves from version 0.9.7 is broken. I had to roll back to version 0.9.7. Perhaps I missed something and there is version 0.9.9?
If there are several wad files in the FastDoom directory, you can select the appropriate game option. This is a great idea. However, in my opinion, it has not been brought to its logical conclusion. It would be nice to have different saves for each option.
Many thanks to Viti for the work done.

Reply 969 of 985, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Darmok wrote on 2024-04-04, 11:02:

Today I tried to test version FastDoom 0.9.9 and found that compatibility with saves from version 0.9.7 is broken. I had to roll back to version 0.9.7. Perhaps I missed something and there is version 0.9.9?
If there are several wad files in the FastDoom directory, you can select the appropriate game option. This is a great idea. However, in my opinion, it has not been brought to its logical conclusion. It would be nice to have different saves for each option.
Many thanks to Viti for the work done.

Mmmmm I'll take a look, savegames from 0.9.7 should be compatible with 0.9.9, so I'm pretty sure something not intended has changed (and probably is causing issues).

Bondi wrote on 2023-11-10, 08:32:

And it just occuretd to me that there is a very useful feature that you could add - MIDI to serial(COM) port output. That's waht SoftMPU can do for real mode games. For protected mode Cloudschatze has made patches for many games (Re: MPU-232 : RS-232 MIDI interface, compatible with SoftMPU)
This would be very useful for laptops that usually lack a gameport. One needs a 8-pin Mini-DIN to DE9 cable like Hosa DBK-103 which is compatible with Roland, Yamaha and Korg synthesizers. I have this cable and can do testing if you decide to take this up.
Details of the cable https://hosatech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/ … -100_Pinout.pdf

BTW, I've been able to add serial-MIDI support, can you test it? Right now is fixed to COM1 and 38400 baud rate. I haven't tested this on a real midi device, but it seems to work fine on my laptop (Retro PC -> Serial port -> Serial-USB adapter -> Windows PC -> "Hairless MIDI<->Serial Bridge" -> Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth)

Filename
FastDoom_RS232.zip
File size
286.59 KiB
Downloads
13 downloads
File comment
FastDoom dev build, Serial-MIDI support
File license
CC-BY-4.0

EDIT: Music sound device is 21 in case you need to modify the cfg

Reply 970 of 985, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ViTi95 wrote on 2024-04-05, 05:38:

BTW, I've been able to add serial-MIDI support, can you test it? Right now is fixed to COM1 and 38400 baud rate. I haven't tested this on a real midi device, but it seems to work fine on my laptop (Retro PC -> Serial port -> Serial-USB adapter -> Windows PC -> "Hairless MIDI<->Serial Bridge" -> Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth)

FastDoom_RS232.zip

Yes, it's working! Tested with Roland SC-55K.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 971 of 985, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice! Now I have to add support for selectable COM ports and more baud rates. This will be available on the next release 😁

Also It shouldn't be hard to add LPT MIDI support, but I have no hardware to test with. And the DreamBlaster S2P is out of stock 😖

Reply 972 of 985, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ViTi95 wrote on 2024-04-05, 07:02:

Nice! Now I have to add support for selectable COM ports and more baud rates. This will be available on the next release 😁

Also It shouldn't be hard to add LPT MIDI support, but I have no hardware to test with. And the DreamBlaster S2P is out of stock 😖

Awesome! That's a feature I'm going to use for sure.

FastDoom isn't a Swiss army knife, but a martian rover already 😁
Next thing to add is the direct support for AC97/Intel HDA. Which probably conflicts with the idea of a fast port for slow computers, but who cares 😀

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 973 of 985, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2024-04-05, 07:37:

Which probably conflicts with the idea of a fast port for slow computers, but who cares 😀

I do. Tbh I feels like this project has lost focus. Strip out networking to gain speed? Sure let's do that. (Fair enough, made sense at that time.) Add high res rendering which can only reasonably be used on faster machines? Alright. And let's remove cheat codes, just because. Emulate an entire sound card? Why not. Hey can we maybe have multiplayer back? Noooo, think of the poor low end machines... I've been thinking about whether I have the time to take all the enhancements, and only the enhancements, and move them into some kind of "Deluxe Doom", one that only builds up, never down (but while staying on DOS - otherwise one might just as well go with e.g. GZDoom).

Reply 974 of 985, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This post just seems in bad faith but I'll reply anyway.

* Cheats have been disabled in Nightmare mode, as was true in the original game as well by the way

* "Emulate an entire sound card?" is this referring to SBEMU support? That doesn't work the way you think it does.

If you want networking just ask nicely and perhaps provide reasoning. Don't be entitled, if you want that bad, fork the project and do it yourself.

Reply 975 of 985, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ViTi95 wrote on 2024-04-05, 07:02:

Nice! thanks too bad im.not in home to test

Using my raspberry pi in com1 is amzazing because i can select whatever soundfont i want, and there is one, arachne, that sound amazing in doom

i will test this sunday!

Reply 976 of 985, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ViTi95 wrote on 2024-04-05, 05:38:

FastDoom_RS232.zip

YES!!! I can also confirm operation... MT32-PI connected to Com1 with a serial to USB cable. THANK YOU!

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 977 of 985, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2024-04-05, 09:04:

I do. Tbh I feels like this project has lost focus. Strip out networking to gain speed? Sure let's do that. (Fair enough, made sense at that time.) Add high res rendering which can only reasonably be used on faster machines? Alright. And let's remove cheat codes, just because. Emulate an entire sound card? Why not. Hey can we maybe have multiplayer back? Noooo, think of the poor low end machines... I've been thinking about whether I have the time to take all the enhancements, and only the enhancements, and move them into some kind of "Deluxe Doom", one that only builds up, never down (but while staying on DOS - otherwise one might just as well go with e.g. GZDoom).

Vanilla Doom didn't allow any cheats in Nightmare except two, IDCLEV and IDDT. And I think both were enabled due to mistakes in the coding, so that's why I removed them from Nightmare. Also I haven't said that I'll add a soundcard emulator, SBEMU support has already been fixed so no need to add it. All the features I've added work on 386 cpu's and doesn't make the game any slower (except obviously the newer higher resolution modes). Even with all new stuff the executable is smaller than vanilla.

Things could be done better? For sure. But again, this is open source and I code this on my free spare time, and same for other devs that have helped on the project.

Reply 978 of 985, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New release!

https://github.com/viti95/FastDoom/releases/tag/0.9.9c

Changelog:

* Serial MIDI support (fixed baudrate 38400, COM1 through COM4 selectable)
* Fixed 512x384 VESA modes

Reply 979 of 985, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ViTi95 wrote on 2024-04-03, 18:30:

Is there any memory managers using V86 mode/VCPI interface active (such as EMM386 or JEMM)? Seems like you're running under one of these managers, and in that case, DOS extender runs with paging enabled. When DPMI fn 0x800 is called, the DOS extender needs to map physical memory in 4kb pages through page tables, and if there is not enough memory for these (each page table can map 1024*4096 = 4 MB), the mapping will fail.
Try re-running under clean environment (without any memory maganers or with XMS only present) and test if this issue reoccurs. IIRC there should be an option in the DOS extender, which sets count of page tables available for physical address mapping (at least PMODE/W can tweak this via PMSETUP.EXE, and I believe DOS32/A can do this too).

I remember having exactly this issue if WIn9x EMM386.EXE is loaded and >=512MB of RAM is installed, when neither PMODE/W nor DOS32/A can't map LFB of my card, making VESA modes fail.

--wbcbz7