Reply 60 of 306, by EmperorGrieferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zaphod77 wrote on 2024-04-06, 23:02:
Yes, but keep in mind the non commercial use clause. […]
Show full quote
EmperorGrieferus wrote on 2024-04-04, 20:07:

I'm currently thinking... Would it be possible to stuff NukedSC into Raspberry Pi to create sort of Mini-SC55?

Yes, but keep in mind the non commercial use clause.

If you did make such a box using the code as a base, you absolutely can't sell it.

it's essentially the same terms as the x2gs waveblaster board. you can use it to play midis and games, but not for production of sold music in any way.

I have no plans for selling it, just a personal use to ease the burden on CPU.

Reply 61 of 306, by Rincewind42

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's going on Vogons these days? I was expecting this thread to BLOW UP and become a 50+ page megathread in a matter of days. Here's a guy who gives you the holy grail of SC-55 emulation we've been waiting for decades, and the reaction is... anti-climatic, to say the least.

Strange world we live in.

DOS: Soyo SY-5TF, MMX 200, 128MB, S3 Virge DX, ESS 1868F, AWE32, QWave, S2, McFly, SC-55, MU80, MP32L
Win98: Gigabyte K8VM800M, Athlon64 3200+, 512MB, Matrox G400, SB Live
WinXP: Gigabyte P31-DS3L, C2D 2.33 GHz, 2GB, GT 430, Audigy 4

Reply 62 of 306, by EmperorGrieferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rincewind42 wrote on 2024-04-07, 01:31:

What's going on Vogons these days? I was expecting this thread to BLOW UP and become a 50+ page megathread in a matter of days. Here's a guy who gives you the holy grail of SC-55 emulation we've been waiting for decades, and the reaction is... anti-climatic, to say the least.

Strange world we live in.

People probably don't have much time to check things out. Or we need a forum-wide ad campaign, but that's kinda cheap move.

Reply 64 of 306, by Rincewind42

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
EmperorGrieferus wrote on 2024-04-07, 01:44:

People probably don't have much time to check things out.

Yeah, checking out a YouTube video can take up to 2 minutes even 😀

EmperorGrieferus wrote on 2024-04-07, 01:44:

Or we need a forum-wide ad campaign, but that's kinda cheap move.

I like the idea, it would give the author some well-deserved recognition! But let's make it an expensive move then:

"Authentic SC-55 emulation and FREE BEER and MOVIE TICKETS! Act quickly, time is running out!" 😜

DOS: Soyo SY-5TF, MMX 200, 128MB, S3 Virge DX, ESS 1868F, AWE32, QWave, S2, McFly, SC-55, MU80, MP32L

Reply 66 of 306, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ikr I banged on about EmuSC ages ago ands peoples response was : meh
Now we have a second emulator with Nuked and the response has been pretty underwhelming.
This is like one of the last missing pieces of the puzzle when it comes to dos emulation , like come on guys!

Reply 67 of 306, by Rincewind42

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AppleSauce wrote on 2024-04-07, 05:15:

Now we have a second emulator with Nuked and the response has been pretty underwhelming.
This is like one of the last missing pieces of the puzzle when it comes to dos emulation , like come on guys!

I guess this place has become a hardware forum, not so much an emulator forum. That SBEMU thread has like 60+ pages. And I'm like "LOL who cares?" 😀 We've had good SB emulation in DOSBox for ages.

Very Old Guys On No-spring-chicken Systems 😁

Reply 68 of 306, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rincewind42 wrote on 2024-04-07, 05:48:

I guess this place has become a hardware forum, not so much an emulator forum. That SBEMU thread has like 60+ pages. And I'm like "LOL who cares?" 😀 We've had good SB emulation in DOSBox for ages.

😆 VOGONSCS doesn't roll off the tongue as well though

I mean I'm also all for original hardware and I've got a really nice setup with a real Roland MPU 401 and a midi stack including a SC55 and Mk2 but even I realize this hardware wont last forever and will eventually fall apart which is why developments like these are very important , it means people can enjoy these games warts and all even after all the hardware has basically disintegrated.

Reply 69 of 306, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

I'm currently thinking... Would it be possible to stuff NukedSC into Raspberry Pi to create sort of Mini-SC55?

If you did make such a box using the code as a base, you absolutely can't sell it.

it's essentially the same terms as the x2gs waveblaster board. you can use it to play midis and games, but not for production of sold music in any way.

Besides license related stuff the current performance characteristics of this emulator can be a problem on Raspberry Pi , too:
https://github.com/nukeykt/Nuked-SC55/issues/8

@Edit:
Actually someone has already tested and

The emulator could start on my Raspberry Pi 3, but I feel my Pi 3 is too slow for the emulation.

https://github.com/nukeykt/Nuked-SC55/issues/26

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2024-04-07, 06:59. Edited 3 times in total.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 70 of 306, by Rincewind42

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AppleSauce wrote on 2024-04-07, 06:16:

😆 VOGONSCS doesn't roll off the tongue as well though

I mean I'm also all for original hardware and I've got a really nice setup with a real Roland MPU 401 and a midi stack including a SC55 and Mk2 but even I realize this hardware wont last forever and will eventually fall apart which is why developments like these are very important , it means people can enjoy these games warts and all even after all the hardware has basically disintegrated.

Absolutely. That's what some people don't seem to get. All magnetic and optical media will become useless soon enough; it's only a matter of decades if not years. Same for old hardware.

I too have a nice retro PC, a bunch of CRT monitors, 2 x SC-55 and 2 x MU-80 because a man needs backups, but I know very well their days are numbered. Maybe they will outlive me, maybe they won't. But the only sure way is creating authentic bit-exact dumps of all original media, and creating as accurate software emulations of all hardware as possible.

Because of this, Nuked SC-55 is a monumental achievement and its importance cannot be overstated. It's a critical piece for preserving the DOS gaming history just like Munt/libmt32.

Reply 71 of 306, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sherman wrote on 2024-04-07, 04:49:

It doesn't help that there are two threads going on simultaneously. This one and Roalnd software emulation? GitHub project in post.

This

Reply 72 of 306, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It doesn't make any since to disregard sbemu while praising another emulator when they are both emulators that enable games to work on both old and new hardware that are required due to the shittyness of corporations that could have easily solved these problems but continue to have their head up their ass. It is necessary to have both old and new hardware working as long as possible especially when developing software like dosbox, pcem, mister, qemu, etc. Throwaway culture isn't a good thing and shouldn't be on these forums since it is detrimental to users and projects like these, IMO.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 73 of 306, by zaphod77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EmperorGrieferus wrote on 2024-04-07, 00:05:
Show full quote

I have no plans for selling it, just a personal use to ease the burden on CPU.

yeah, that's fine. but as people say, a pi 3 isn't quite enough power to deal with this.

but perhaps this project could be used as a reference for a higher level emulator, which would need less cpu power.

Reply 74 of 306, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think peoples response is muted because really... its general midi, its not like MT32 / Munt thats special. sc55 is just general midi, and one with a tiny compressed rom sound set at that.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 75 of 306, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If someone is interested here is a dual instance Nuked SC-55 test video with everquest_theme that has serious polyphony problems with a single instance of SC-55.
It's still not perfect but much better than on a single instance.
In the test I used FSMP + its integrated WinMM Multiport VSTi plugin. For 1st port even channels were selected and for 2nd port odd channels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9_C7sQAnGk

Here is the test Midi file:

Filename
everquest_theme.zip
File size
16.06 KiB
Downloads
27 downloads
File license
Public domain

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 76 of 306, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote on 2024-04-07, 22:23:

I think peoples response is muted because really... its general midi, its not like MT32 / Munt thats special. sc55 is just general midi, and one with a tiny compressed rom sound set at that.

It's not the sound quality that makes the SC-55 unique, but the fact that every midi music from every single game will sound 100 times more balanced than any more modern soundfont or synthesizer with General MIDI support.
I'm not a musician but I think it's better to have music played correctly but with "low quality" instruments, rather than playing the same music with a soundfont with very high definition samples but which sounds bad.
Furthermore, the way the SC-55 "mixes" the various samples (I don't know the technical term), I find it much better than the various software synthesizers that use .sf2.
Obviously we are talking about videogames.

Reply 77 of 306, by Eivind

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it remotely feasible to get this running on a Pi Zero 2 down the road? Would be an awesome addition to the mt32-pi project... 😉

The LlamaBlaster sound card
ITX-Llama motherboard
TinyLlama SBC

Reply 78 of 306, by zaphod77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

everquest's music, which was XMI, not midi, was composed for 1meggm.sf2 (the rom samples inside the awe32 card) and the included synthusr.sbk.

it was NOT composed for sound canvas at all, so no point trying to play it on this emulator.

I know this for a fact.

The midi file you have may or may not be an accurate conversion.

Also, it's not just games that were composed for sound canvas.

Also, most game midi that hits polyphony limits on a sc55 was composed for sc88Pro, which has bigger limits.

I hope the emulator can be extended to emulate sc88pro as well.

Last edited by zaphod77 on 2024-04-08, 00:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 79 of 306, by zaphod77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eivind wrote on 2024-04-08, 00:32:

Is it remotely feasible to get this running on a Pi Zero 2 down the road? Would be an awesome addition to the mt32-pi project... 😉

unless zero 2 is significantly more powerful than a pi 3, it's unlikely.

honestly roland did things right for the most part with the Sound Canvas VA, except that it uses the latest samples even when in sc55 or sc88 mode. If it actually switched to use the chosen card's samples, it would have been perfect.