939 8gb rig AN8 or A8N??

Topic actions

First post, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi folks,
I've been struggling with a machine based on a A8N-SLI Premium that won't boot with dual channel memory ECC or not ECC.
I can hear the Speech post say something (can't hear, it seems like a broken radio) and the beep code: 1 Long, two shorts. Forever.
In all cases but one, when I plug a memory bank on the third slot (blue) all is ok, and it recognizes a 2gb ECC stick also.

The seller was so firm about the integrity of the motherboard that I changed the CPU, after you say to that the controller of the memory could be broken, but with another Opteron 180 I obtain the same results... or the same failure.

The only step ahead is that now I can populate TWO Banks, in single channel, so third and four, for a total of 4GB of RAM ECC DDR400.
With this config I can enter a previous installation of Seven Ultimate without problems, except for some drivers not designed for Win7.

The same behaviour if I use NON ECC ram DDR400 or sticks of 1gb ram ECC DDR333, so it is not ECC related at all.
Even reflash 1303 bios and changed VGA with a Geforce 6500, 6600, GTX650.... BTW I changed the PSU also with a solid LC-Power and a XFX (two times).
No changes

I am at a loss, I think it can really be the motherboard, but I fail too see why.

If that's the case, can I use my four sticks of ECC ram on a Abit AN8 SLI?
On the Abit site it says that it can handle 8Gigs, but says nothing about ECC or not ECC.

Or should try something else on the ASUS?

Reply 1 of 13, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The memory support depends mostly on the CPU but the motherboard must support ECC and/or registered memory to work with it. Late Asus boards have the best support for ECC and large modules.

Some CPUs memory controllers are just plain bad and some revisions of the K8 core did not support ECC and/or 2GB modules. I would try another CPU with the Asus board. San Diegos are cheap and should support 2GB ECC modules with the Asus board, if more than one fail to do so I would think the issue is the board or the memory.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 13, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But I used two Opterons, 170 and a 180 both latest revision! They were meant to support ECC memory and I see the ECC option on ASUS bios.
Unfortunately in both cases the behaviour is the same.
So you suggest to find another ASUS? Can't find another one cheap on Ebay, but I see an Abit AN8 for 25€ plus shipment cost....

Reply 3 of 13, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mamba wrote:

But I used two Opterons, 170 and a 180 both latest revision! They were meant to support ECC memory and I see the ECC option on ASUS bios.
Unfortunately in both cases the behaviour is the same.
So you suggest to find another ASUS? Can't find another one cheap on Ebay, but I see an Abit AN8 for 25€ plus shipment cost....

Yes those Opterons are late revisons and should work fine with 2GB sticks, if one stick works so should 4 even if you perhaps have to lower the memory speed to 333 Mhz in some cases and use 2T timing. Your board do supports 2GB modules and ECC but if you have tried different CPUs and know the memory is fine and works together then my next step would be to try another board. I do not know if the Abit board support ECC memory but there are mirrors of the old Abit FTP out there so you should be able to find the manual.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 4 of 13, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will try to lower the bus to 333MHz,don't know if I did it anyway.
I can tell that the first time (after several attempts) that the system booted with TWO sticks in single channel, it says DDR333 even if in the bios I left to AUTO all options, including frequency, and those are PC3200R sticks. I Always use 2T timing.

Maybe if I use more of them I have to force to 333MHz? But why? Rank related matter? The sticks are 2Rx4 banks so should be ok to use 4 of them, cause Opterons' memory controller can handle 8...

And why I obtain the same errors even with NON ECC memory?

Last edited by Mamba on 2015-06-26, 21:21. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 13, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mamba wrote:
I will try to lower the bus to 333MHz,don't know if I did it anyway. I can tell that the first time (after several attempts) hta […]
Show full quote

I will try to lower the bus to 333MHz,don't know if I did it anyway.
I can tell that the first time (after several attempts) htat the system booted with TWO sticks in single channel, it says DDR33 even if in the bios I left to AUTO all options, including frequency, and those are PC3200R sticks. I Always use 2T timing.

Maybe if I use more of them I have to force to 333MHz? But why? Rank related matter? The sticks are 2Rx4 banks so should be ok to use 4 of them, cause Opterons' memory controller can handle 8...

And why I obtain the same errors even with NON ECC memory?

Have you tried to clean the memory slots and have you checked if the board has any broken traces and/or bad caps?

A BIOS update is also worth a try.

Reply 6 of 13, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1303 is the latest bios and I reflashed it.
I will check for dust or dirt again, as for caps I don't see problems, but maybe I can't recognize a bad one except if it is really damaged or about to explode...

Reply 7 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an Abit AN8 SLI and Opteron 165. How does one determine ECC support exactly and which ECC 2GB DDR sticks do I need to look for?

Reply 8 of 13, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I have an Abit AN8 SLI and Opteron 165. How does one determine ECC support exactly and which ECC 2GB DDR sticks do I need to look for?

I can tell that Opterons support 8ranks in total AND ECC memory so you should be able to install any 2Gb stick of ram in a single slot as soon as it's dual rank. There should be written somewhere 2Rx4 or something like that (2Rx?). At least in theory, cause the memory controller is entirely on the CPU.
In real life you can easily see that not all nforce4 boards support these memory.
Abit specs declare that AN8 support 8Gb max of ram, I think that it's all about ECC ram cause I don't remember any manufacturer who sold 2Gb DDR sticks non ECC, but maybe I'm wrong.
Still I'm here to obtain some prove for my speculation, cause I would gladly get rid of my A8N Premium that is making me crazy, and get a AN8.

Reply 9 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got 8GB of ECC DDR PC3200 and have tried it. The system POSTs and I can run Memtest86+ fine with 2x2GB installed. All 4GB is recognized. However, trying to boot XP or a Vista x64 install CD causes the system to power off and this is 100% repeatable. I can't determine what is causing this. I thought perhaps the 32-bit memory remapping, but disabling that did nothing.

There is no ECC enable/disable setting in the AN8-21 BIOS, nor in the last mod BIOS available on the lejabeach site. ECC is not mentioned anywhere in the BIOS nor on the POST screens as far as I can tell.

The Abit AN8-SLI web page mentions 8GB support, but not ECC support.

Reply 10 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got it working. It was RAM timing that was causing the shutdown. I had to set RAS Precharge to 6T.

However, it appears that ECC is disabled.
Clipboard01.png

Clipboard02.png

Clipboard03.png

Reply 11 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Getting 4 of these DIMMs going is nigh impossible. I think it might be working at DDR200 speed but it's hard to be positive it's stable.

The power off issue is a parity error being detected I think.

Overall I don't suggest AN8 for 2GB registered PC3200. Socket 939 in general is a pain in the rear when it comes to memory compatibility, especially with 4 DIMMs.

Reply 12 of 13, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice, so ECC Reg. DDR works on non-Asus boards too. 😀
I was wondering - is it possible to use these RAM on socket 754 A64?

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 13 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well it sorta works. I wouldn't suggest it. The AN8 board doesn't officially support buffered ECC DIMMs and I would say it shows.