VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

this is my first post so let me introduce myself. I'm a computer enthusiast from Slovenia who only recently revived his interest in old PCs. Before that, I was mostly collecting non-PC computers and consoles from the 80s and 90s (Sinclair, Commodore, Atari,...). Here's my most recent project:

Specs:
Intel Pentium 120 MHz
Socket 7 motherboard VX chipset
64 MB EDO RAM
1.2 GB hard drive
Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro
Creative Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3670
Pioneer DVD-106S/2 slot loading DVD-ROM
3.5" floppy drive
runs Windows 98

List of modifications:
First thing I had to do was clean everything, then I removed the power supply and cleaned it inside and out. Sleeving the cables was quite time consuming but it turned out better than expected. I didn't like the cable clutter so I ended up sleeving one IDE cable which was first cut in 8-wire strips. I also sleeved the PSU fan cable and replaced the original fan with a tri-color LED fan.

Filename
napajalnik_AT.jpg
File size
836.83 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
before_after.jpg
File size
217.31 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The project is not finished yet. I will be sleeving all the internal serial/parallel cables and a 5.25" floppy at a later time.

The finished computer will be used as a working exhibit in my computer repair shop 😀

Cheers
SainT

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 2 of 7, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like that's going to be a nice system. I used to have a Pentium 120 back in the days. Blew one of my friends away when he saw Duke3D running on it (he thought I was still sporting my old 486sx33). All in all I think it's a great cpu for old dos games. Grats on a nice system. 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 7, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you guys looked at the pix? Is it possible to use attachments so that they show up in the post as normal images?

2nd question: I'm thinking of adding a Voodoo 2 to the system. Will the Diamond card be good for that combo?

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 5 of 7, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't imagine that there should be any problems with adding a Voodoo 2. Probably makes more sense using a Voodoo 1 for this era build though, but if you already have the Voodoo 2, then go for it 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 6 of 7, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

LunarG is spot on.

Just be careful that the Voodoo2 is a bit larger and may not fit in all PCI slots on an AT board (depending on CPU position). On my Asus VX97 it is a tight fit between the card and the heatsink.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 7, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

LunarG is spot on.

Just be careful that the Voodoo2 is a bit larger and may not fit in all PCI slots on an AT board (depending on CPU position). On my Asus VX97 it is a tight fit between the card and the heatsink.

Thanks. I had to swap the cards around to get it right. Now everything fits perfectly 😁

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png