VOGONS

First post, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One of them died on my Am5x86 build (This isn't the one that died but it does use the same connections) and I wanted to know which connections it uses (I'm thinking about buying one of those Flash Card Solution drives that I keep hearing about all the time)

Last edited by Dakkiller on 2022-03-07, 00:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

that's an IDE drive , nothing more can be told from this picture

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 15, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This made me feel really old... When people don't recognize IDE on sight anymore. *cry*

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 5 of 15, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

IDE was only totally deprecated 3 years ago!

Seriously. I clicked into this thinking we'd be ID'ing some IBM or Apple relic from the 1970s, or an older SCSI drive; not PATA. 🤣

Kids these days... 😜

Dakkiller: If you want to use flash memory what you're specifically looking for is a "CF to IDE" or "CF to PATA" adapter. Otherwise you'll be dealing with used hard-drives (most "refurbs" or "As new" that I've seen recently are anything but - they're pulls like everything else) that in some cases can have close to 100,000 runtime hours on them. Be careful when dealing with such used devices - they're mechanical and they do wear out after spinning at 4-10k RPM for YEARS continuously. With flash you have to worry about wear of the flash cell, and as far as I'm aware CF does not do wear-leveling like a modern SSD component.

If the computer is new enough, you may consider just adding a controller card to provide SATA and purchasing a brand new drive.

Reply 6 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Seriously. I clicked into this thinking we'd be ID'ing some IBM or Apple relic from the 1970s, or an older SCSI drive; not PATA. 🤣

Me too 😀

obobskivich wrote:

Kids these days... 😜

Dakkiller: If you want to use flash memory what you're specifically looking for is a "CF to IDE" or "CF to PATA" adapter. Otherwise you'll be dealing with used hard-drives (most "refurbs" or "As new" that I've seen recently are anything but - they're pulls like everything else) that in some cases can have close to 100,000 runtime hours on them. Be careful when dealing with such used devices - they're mechanical and they do wear out after spinning at 4-10k RPM for YEARS continuously. With flash you have to worry about wear of the flash cell, and as far as I'm aware CF does not do wear-leveling like a modern SSD component.

If the computer is new enough, you may consider just adding a controller card to provide SATA and purchasing a brand new drive.

Disk on chip is also an option, isn't it?

Reply 7 of 15, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You mean "DOM" or "Disk On Module"? My understanding is they're basically just CF cards as well, but built with the pin adapters on one package as opposed to relying on a stand-alone adapter (the advantage of an adapter is you can swap cards; some of them even take the place of an I/O shield to give you very neat drive swapping).

Anyways - yes they'd work just fine, but personally I'd go with an adapter + card solution, for economic reasons. DOM are usually marked-up because they target embedded applications - a quick look on Amazon shows 2-8GB models for $30-$40 and 32GB for $70. An adapter is $5-10 and a 64GB CF card is around $60. 😀

Reply 8 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

You mean "DOM" or "Disk On Module"? My understanding is they're basically just CF cards as well, but built with the pin adapters on one package as opposed to relying on a stand-alone adapter (the advantage of an adapter is you can swap cards; some of them even take the place of an I/O shield to give you very neat drive swapping).

Anyways - yes they'd work just fine, but personally I'd go with an adapter + card solution, for economic reasons. DOM are usually marked-up because they target embedded applications - a quick look on Amazon shows 2-8GB models for $30-$40 and 32GB for $70. An adapter is $5-10 and a 64GB CF card is around $60. 😀

Yes, I always forget what they are called. I bought 1GB one for $6 from a local seller. Neat little thing.

Reply 9 of 15, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

Yes, I always forget what they are called. I bought 1GB one for $6 from a local seller. Neat little thing.

For $6 that's great, but I'm used to seeing them for more like $60. 😵

Also worth noting for the original guy: what kinds of limits on size does the computer or OS you're putting this drive into have? For example a 64GB card may not be a good choice if you're using DOS.

Reply 10 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LunarG wrote:

This made me feel really old... When people don't recognize IDE on sight anymore. *cry*

Wanna feel really old? I have two Corvus drives here,one with an 8 inch mech and the other with a 5.25" mech. They are 5 and 10 megabytes respectively.

Reply 11 of 15, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
LunarG wrote:

Wanna feel really old? I have two Corvus drives here,one with an 8 inch mech and the other with a 5.25" mech. They are 5 and 10 megabytes respectively.

My first PC was one of these: http://www.old-computers.com/MUSEUM/computer.asp?c=889&st=1.
It has two 5.25" floppy drives and no HD. I used it for playing Space Commanders, Zaxxon, Paratrooper and so on.
So yeah 😉 When people start having trouble recognizing a standard IDE HD, then I feel old 😁

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 12 of 15, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

and as far as I'm aware CF does not do wear-leveling like a modern SSD component.

To quote Wikipedia:

Most CompactFlash flash-memory devices limit wear on blocks by varying the physical location to which a block is written. This process is called wear leveling. When using CompactFlash in ATA mode to take the place of the hard disk drive, wear leveling becomes critical because low-numbered blocks contain tables whose contents change frequently. Current CompactFlash cards spread the wear-leveling across the entire drive. The more advanced CompactFlash cards will move data that rarely changes to ensure all blocks wear evenly.

Reply 15 of 15, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:
Seriously. I clicked into this thinking we'd be ID'ing some IBM or Apple relic from the 1970s, or an older SCSI drive; not PATA. […]
Show full quote
leileilol wrote:

Kids these days... 😜

CF cards do wear-leveling but there is no garbage collection at all and even that might not be on all CF cards but many of them do have it.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.