VOGONS

VL/EISA SMP Pentium (turbocharged)

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 66, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-03-31, 16:56:

The onboard SCSI is wired up to the EISA bus, so it does infact appear in the ECU. Not sure how the IDE connector is hooked up, but I would guess VLB in which case it should just work like on a normal 486 board. There should definitely be a screen in the BIOS for setting up the harddrive...and most BIOSes of that vintage have an auto-detect feature. If I have time I can have a look.

So cool with dual Pentiums in SMP (very uncommon compared to dual PII/PIII, which where may SMP versions of)!

Did you ever manage to boot it in SMP-config with both CPU's in 3.51 or 4.0?

Reply 62 of 66, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No. There is still an important issue to take care of before I bench. The original P60 CPUs do not have heatsinks, and other than epoxy there is no way to secure them. I'm not willing to damage the print on the CPUs by using glue.
The POD133s both have broken heatsinks and no fans. I need to rig something up to make them safe to use. The problem is I can't use a normal heatsink, because of the way the VRM is attached to the top of the chip. I will likely need something custom made.
There's also the issue of safely removing what's left of the original factory heatinks.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 63 of 66, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, maybe you could purchase a standard heatsink and make a custom clip to clip onto the CPU or just cut and bend the original CPU clip to fit.

Try to heat the original CPU coolers with a heat gun to remove.

Attachments

Reply 64 of 66, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-06-22, 11:59:

No. There is still an important issue to take care of before I bench. The original P60 CPUs do not have heatsinks, and other than epoxy there is no way to secure them. I'm not willing to damage the print on the CPUs by using glue.
The POD133s both have broken heatsinks and no fans. I need to rig something up to make them safe to use. The problem is I can't use a normal heatsink, because of the way the VRM is attached to the top of the chip. I will likely need something custom made.
There's also the issue of safely removing what's left of the original factory heatinks.

Are the POD133 CPUs dropping down to a 1x multiplier without the stock Intel fan attached?

Yamaha YMF modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG resource repository - updated November 27, 2018
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide
AW744L II - YMF744 - AOpen Cobra Sound Card - Install SB-Link Header
Epstein didn't kill himself

Reply 65 of 66, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, the POD5V133 stays at 2X multiplier without fan.
The best temporary solution is to try to screw standard CPU fans into what is left of the original heatsink.
In the future I plan to order "T" shaped heatsinks so I can securely attach fans and make everything look presentable. I know I've been kind of dragging my ass on this, but I only have access to my hardware during summer/winter holidays and when I have free time most of it is spent building/fixing things not related to computers.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 66 of 66, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check out theses nice Blue heatsinks.
maybe you could make some brackets to screw into original heatsinks and then attach fans.

Attachments