VOGONS

VL/EISA SMP Pentium (turbocharged)

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 81, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-03-31, 16:56:

The onboard SCSI is wired up to the EISA bus, so it does infact appear in the ECU. Not sure how the IDE connector is hooked up, but I would guess VLB in which case it should just work like on a normal 486 board. There should definitely be a screen in the BIOS for setting up the harddrive...and most BIOSes of that vintage have an auto-detect feature. If I have time I can have a look.

So cool with dual Pentiums in SMP (very uncommon compared to dual PII/PIII, which where may SMP versions of)!

Did you ever manage to boot it in SMP-config with both CPU's in 3.51 or 4.0?

Reply 62 of 81, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No. There is still an important issue to take care of before I bench. The original P60 CPUs do not have heatsinks, and other than epoxy there is no way to secure them. I'm not willing to damage the print on the CPUs by using glue.
The POD133s both have broken heatsinks and no fans. I need to rig something up to make them safe to use. The problem is I can't use a normal heatsink, because of the way the VRM is attached to the top of the chip. I will likely need something custom made.
There's also the issue of safely removing what's left of the original factory heatinks.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 63 of 81, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, maybe you could purchase a standard heatsink and make a custom clip to clip onto the CPU or just cut and bend the original CPU clip to fit.

Try to heat the original CPU coolers with a heat gun to remove.

Attachments

Reply 64 of 81, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-06-22, 11:59:

No. There is still an important issue to take care of before I bench. The original P60 CPUs do not have heatsinks, and other than epoxy there is no way to secure them. I'm not willing to damage the print on the CPUs by using glue.
The POD133s both have broken heatsinks and no fans. I need to rig something up to make them safe to use. The problem is I can't use a normal heatsink, because of the way the VRM is attached to the top of the chip. I will likely need something custom made.
There's also the issue of safely removing what's left of the original factory heatinks.

Are the POD133 CPUs dropping down to a 1x multiplier without the stock Intel fan attached?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 65 of 81, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, the POD5V133 stays at 2X multiplier without fan.
The best temporary solution is to try to screw standard CPU fans into what is left of the original heatsink.
In the future I plan to order "T" shaped heatsinks so I can securely attach fans and make everything look presentable. I know I've been kind of dragging my ass on this, but I only have access to my hardware during summer/winter holidays and when I have free time most of it is spent building/fixing things not related to computers.

Reply 66 of 81, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check out theses nice Blue heatsinks.
maybe you could make some brackets to screw into original heatsinks and then attach fans.

Attachments

Reply 67 of 81, by fry35

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AndrewK2685 wrote on 2020-05-05, 20:56:
That would be awesome thank you!! Does your board reports the ports? Also is the IDE interface working? […]
Show full quote
fry35 wrote on 2020-05-01, 19:57:

I have also a Acer J3 board with the original serial and parallel cables. I can check them and post here the 3 pinouts.

That would be awesome thank you!!
Does your board reports the ports?
Also is the IDE interface working?

Sorry for the delay, I was away... the IDE controller is working but very slow. I have to check for serial and parallel under windows if correctly detected. For the pinouts I check as soon as possible.

Reply 68 of 81, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

133mhz Pentiums require minimal cooling (never had a 5vOD though)
Maybe a closely aimed case fan in line would be enough, I have a $5 harbor freight laser thermometer, could test for hot spots with An “indirect “ fan blowing over the chips

Reply 69 of 81, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2020-10-23, 18:32:

Maybe a closely aimed case fan in line would be enough, I have a $5 harbor freight laser thermometer, could test for hot spots with An “indirect “ fan blowing over the chips

The issue with the overdrive cpus is if you don't have a fan plugged in then they will run at a much lower speed to limit heating. I personally go overboard with cooling to maximize the life span of my parts can't have to much cooling and airflow in my opinion.

Reply 70 of 81, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-10-23, 19:51:
rmay635703 wrote on 2020-10-23, 18:32:

The issue with the overdrive cpus is if you don't have a fan plugged in then they will run at a much lower speed to limit heating. I personally go overboard with cooling to maximize the life span of my parts can't have to much cooling and airflow in my opinion.

A properly aimed case fan could have more air flow than a traditional fan, just the issue with turbulence over the fins and the fact the stock heatsync is meh at best.

Reply 72 of 81, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Although what you say about the multiplier being reduced when the fan is not connected is true for many overdrive CPUs, it actually does not apply to these. They will run at full speed regardless.

Reply 74 of 81, by AndrewK2685

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fry35 wrote on 2020-10-23, 17:27:
AndrewK2685 wrote on 2020-05-05, 20:56:
That would be awesome thank you!! Does your board reports the ports? Also is the IDE interface working? […]
Show full quote
fry35 wrote on 2020-05-01, 19:57:

I have also a Acer J3 board with the original serial and parallel cables. I can check them and post here the 3 pinouts.

That would be awesome thank you!!
Does your board reports the ports?
Also is the IDE interface working?

Sorry for the delay, I was away... the IDE controller is working but very slow. I have to check for serial and parallel under windows if correctly detected. For the pinouts I check as soon as possible.

Thank you for that! I still don't know why IDE on mine is not working.
For the ports you can also use some DOS reporting utilities I guess
like Norton System Info

Reply 75 of 81, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, I have nothing intelligent to say on this thread. I'm just in total awe of this build. I remember the reverence the Pentium was originally held in while my Dad still dialed into work on a 486 and 9600k modem.

Reply 76 of 81, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
2Mourty wrote on 2020-10-26, 02:57:

Wow, I have nothing intelligent to say on this thread. I'm just in total awe of this build. I remember the reverence the Pentium was originally held in while my Dad still dialed into work on a 486 and 9600k modem.

Yeah, me too. It’s hard to find all this hardware. I would like to see it come together and benchmarked.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2020-10-26, 15:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 77 of 81, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree, I should stop being lazy and get this thing its own case so that I can spend more time on it.
Every now and then I poke around to see if I can find an ATX case that could pass for something from the early 90s. The best I can dig up is an industrial rack mount enclosure. It's a shame I don't have an original AcerPower chassis to go with it.

Reply 78 of 81, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regarding attaching heatsinks, have you tried using thermal tape? I bought a giant 40mm x 25m roll super cheap and it works amazingly well for attaching heatsinks to things. Great thermal conductivity and is strong enough to hold even a beefy heatsink onto a modestly sized chip - plus, it can be removed with ease if required. I have even used some on an overclocked 6x86MX PR166 @ PR200 on a motherboard that has broken heatsink clips, and it worked a treat. I'd recommend giving it a go.

Reply 79 of 81, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you recommend a brand?