VOGONS

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Link to YouTube video: Building the Ultimate 3dfx Voodoo 5 Glide Gaming PC

In this video I am building the Ultimate 3dfx Voodoo 5 Glide Retro Gaming PC. This PC is a beast, delivering high end performance in Glide, OpenGL and DirectX games from the golden era of early 3D games. Storage performance is also impressive, achieving over 80 Megabytes per second.

The video features time lapse of me putting everything together. I talk about the parts I use, put everything together, tweak the BIOS, install Windows and drivers and finally show some benchmarks of the hard drive, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, GLQuake, Quake II and Forsaken.

Acer OEM S370 board with i815 chipset and StarTech CPU cooler

OEM boards often get neglected. I have two of these Acer boards, and they are faster than the Gigabyte GA-6VTXE and the AOpen MX3S-T. The BIOS has plenty of options, even allowing you to set memory timings. Very stable and had no issues with it.

7Q7pPTvl.jpg

Intel Pentium III-S 1.4 GHz Tualatin 512 KB Cache

The Pentium III "Top Dog" so to speak. Doesn't get any better and bests the early Intel Pentium 4 processors.

fSqbnsgl.jpg

StarTech CPU cooler

Rated for Pentium III 1.4 GHz and having three latches on each side, spreads the load better than other coolers.

3YAoi5Dl.jpg

512 MB SDRAM PC133

Rated at CL3, but does CL2 no problem. Got to have some RAM, 512 MB max for Windows 98 SE.

vzG5AVwl.jpg

AGP Voodoo 5 5500 power

What can I say? It's big, hungry, fast and beautiful. The fastest Glide card around and made for games such as Unreal.

uWrxL67l.jpg

Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Diamond's cult classic sound card with Aureal's Vortex 2 chip and A3D surround over headphone technology.

xTY27Isl.jpg

120 GB SATA III drive

You know this was coming. I love using modern SATA III drives, limiting the capacity with SeaTools and using SATA to IDE adapter and the onboard IDE controllers.

0gabImvl.jpg

SATA to IDE adapter

Configured to Master. Not much to say, it gets the job done.

nJ1TtsNl.jpg

Look at that storage performance!

O63YonT.png

IDE DVD-RW

Configured as slave and connected to the same IDE channel as the hard drive.

UWeprQ7l.jpg

GOTEK Floppy emulator

Can't go without it. It's cheap, reliable, looks nice, 100 images on a USB stick, why wouldn't you want to use one?

UVke2q2l.jpg

The finished PC

Looks like a generic computer. But turn it on and be amazed at the Glide 3D performance this beast delivers!

ySZ50pNl.jpg

4vWmWLOl.jpg

Benchmarks

Delivering, fast, smooth and beautiful frames to your brain.

VuZYThXl.png

CAPh8SNl.png

YaKCxBtl.png

Jlo4T6ll.png

iQGHmMQl.png

Last edited by PhilsComputerLab on 2015-07-06, 23:48. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1 of 97, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You sneaky bugger! Didn't even know you had something like this in the works. I'm actually busy building a similar system, except I'm using an Athlon Thunderbird 1.4GHz and Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 sound card. Would be interesting to compare the two systems.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 3 of 97, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I definitely think we should have a show-off between these two systems. I just need to get my IDE to SATA adaptors delivered to me.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 4 of 97, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Evert wrote:

Well, I definitely think we should have a show-off between these two systems. I just need to get my IDE to SATA adaptors delivered to me.

Ive actually built an Athlon 1.4Ghz system before, in my tests , it really just depended on the game or benchmark , 3DMark01 for instance was faster on the Athlon , wheres Quake3 engine games were faster on the Tualatin.

The big problem with the Athlons is of course the temprature and to a lesser extent the chipsets. Even with a Zalman copper cooler I was having a hard time keeping the Athlon below 45-50 degrees, and that was with a very large fan hovering above it . The Tualatin system using the same case usually runs at around 32 degrees.

Reply 5 of 97, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really cool system! I like that nothing has been overclocked and that you made it compatible with newer HDDs.
I would like to challenge you with my TUSL2-C system 🤣

Pentium III-S 1400MHz (Tualatin-512k) SL6BY
512MB SD133 2-3-2-8
Asus TUSL2-C
Voodoo 5 5500 64MB AGP 2x

I havent put the V5 in there yet and I have to run benchmarks.
But not-in-this-heat 😵

Reply 6 of 97, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All I can say is Bring it!

🤣

The TUSL2-C is a great board. It seems to feature in a LOT of "Ultimate" builds.

Reply 7 of 97, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to join the challenge with my 440BX system!

Pentium III-S 1400MHz
1024MB SDRAM PC133 CL2
Asus P3B-F v1.03
Voodoo 5 5500 64MB AGP 2x

Could you please specify how the benchmarks were run so we get comparable results?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8 of 97, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Could you please specify how the benchmarks were run so we get comparable results?

All benchmarks are with sound / music.

Unreal: Start game, set resolution, press ~ and type timedemo 1. I always use the 3rd run

UT: Start game, set resolution. Quit game. Start game again. Press ~ and type timedemo 1. Let it loop 4-5 times. Press ~ and read the 3rd result

Quake 2: Install game from CD (full installation). Install 3.2 patch. Start game. Set render to Default OpenGL. Set resolution. Press ~ type:

timedemo 1
map demo1.dm2

Forsaken: Install the game from CD. Install latest patch 1.1. Start game. Set resolution. Go to demo and run first demo. When finished go back to demo and FPS is displayed

GLQuake I use shortcuts. Might just zip the folder and DropBox it.

EDIT: GLQuake with shortcuts: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhqz14agf1qtgwk/QUAKE.zip?dl=0

Last edited by PhilsComputerLab on 2015-07-06, 10:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 97, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Thanks 😀

Voodoo 5 driver is?

GLQuake link updated above.

Drivers I used: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/drivers-for-v … oo-4-and-5.html

Make sure you install the overclock tab and disable V-sync for DirectX.

F2bnp wrote:

This is going to be epic 😁. Can I join you with my QDI Advance 10T?

Sure 😊

Reply 14 of 97, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey man! I'm telling you, it works. It also removes viruses and spyware from your computer, because no one messes with black magic or Voodoo, right? All joking aside, as a Statistician, I'm quite excited to see and analyse the data from the benchmarks, even if it's doing something simple like compiling approximate confidence intervals for the mean (average) framerate.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 15 of 97, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure you check out my V2 SLI scaling paper. 60+ pages, 800+ benchmark results. Should please any statistician 🤣

Biggest difference should be visible at the 640 x 480 resolution. At 1600 x 1200 I would be very surprised if we find huge differences between our systems.

Reply 16 of 97, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did look at it actually, but it's a pity you only ran those benchmarks once, I would've liked to have a collection of at least 20-30 iterations of every benchmark, but I know this is time consuming, which is why I'm opting for a more meta-analysis type of approach.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 17 of 97, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have two systems. One very similar to vetz(ASUS P3B-F Rev 1.04 - 1400-S at 1575/150fsb with Upgradeware adapter, 256mb PC133 c2 ram running at 150 2-2-2-4) and the other is a KT333 based rig with an EPOX 8k3A+, an XP2500-M running at 2.4 and 1 gig of average DDR400 ram. If you want Phil I could also join you with some benchies done with my 5500 on both systems from my part 😀

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 18 of 97, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd say the more, the merrier and I believe he will share my sentiments. I think you AXP-2500-M is probably one of the fastest, if not the fastest Voodoo 5 machine you can build.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 19 of 97, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I could join if Phill wants, could do the tests in Windows 2000 SP4 to see what effects it has on the frame rate

Intel D815EEA2U
PIII 1400-S
512MB CL2 SDRAM
Voodoo5500
Aureal Vortex 2 (Win98SE only)
SB Audigy (WIn2K only)
U160 300GB SCSI Drive on an Adaptec 2100S (with 64MB cache)