VOGONS

First post, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i finnaly decide put my W98SE gaming rig together.
One more reason except games is test on my own how's that famous Aureal A3D sounds.
Also there gonna be some pics'n'specs of my dual P3 workstation just cause 🤣

Enjoy!

So first i'll show parts that were used to made it.

Mobo: Asus CUV4X-M (VIA Apollo Pro133A)
Cpu: Pentium 3 733mhz Coppermine
Ram: SDRAM 512mb (2x128 and 1x256) TwinMOS PC133
Video:Geforce 3 Ti 500
Sound: Diamond Monster Sound MX300
Storage: ATA 40gb Seagate Barracuda

pvg9ZgRm.jpg crMHx2Rm.jpg B5vYypEm.jpg
ivN0JqQm.jpg iqsUQghm.jpg

Here is how's it looks in and out.

N1ONWnUl.jpg
clEOah0m.jpgAD4qmV7m.jpg

And now is time for some benchmarks and such!

Cpu-z specs

IoOTDTll.pngJas8sO2l.pngbPjfWSsl.pngasLfsHIl.png

And some 3Dmark

'99
luZMfiRl.jpg

'2k
72q8Yc1l.jpg

'2001
sfTU9ALl.jpg

Almost forget about second one,i currently use it as my backup workstation and music box(b4 i used my Slot-based Athlon system for that)

Mobo: Msi MS-6377 (ServerWorks)
Cpu: 2x Pentium 3 733mhz Coppermine
Ram: Buffered ECC SDRAM 1gb (4x256mb) MicronTechnology PC133
Video:onboard Ati Rage XL
Sound: Creative Audigy SB0090
Storage: ATA 80gb Western Digital and SCSI 147gb Fujitsu MAT3147NP
Controllers: Tekram DC-395U/UW and TR-824
NIC: 3x intel PRO/1000MT(2 onboard)

Hope i didnt forget anything...

And here some pics.

BYXyV65l.jpg
x8D50Lhm.jpgv3jiW9Um.jpg

Some cpu-z specs

Yeah i noticed it shows bit higher clocks then it should be.
xKKSuT2l.png
TEbryCgl.png
30or2l6l.png

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 1 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks very good! 😁

Especially your first rig, it's quite similar to what I'd build (I'm a bit of a fan of FSP PSUs, especially their earlier ones 😜), except I'd put a faster P3 in there (P3-1000 probably) and I'd add a casefan (7-volted fan, as the good rear fan case exhaust should provide good enough ventilation).
How is your experience with those stock Intel HSFs? 😀

How are the caps on your dual CPU board? Especially the yellow ones below the lower CPU socket. It could be the lighting but it's a quick look and can save you a lot of trouble.
I'm not familiar with Thermaltake PSUs though, so can't comment on that 😜
I had a couple similar cases like yours (the lower one) but I threw them out as, because of those "ridges" they aren't very good at being stacked on top of each other 😜

And you should build a Tualatin Windows ME rig next 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 15, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Looks very good! :D […]
Show full quote

Looks very good! 😁

Especially your first rig, it's quite similar to what I'd build (I'm a bit of a fan of FSP PSUs, especially their earlier ones 😜), except I'd put a faster P3 in there (P3-1000 probably) and I'd add a casefan (7-volted fan, as the good rear fan case exhaust should provide good enough ventilation).

How are the caps on your dual CPU board? Especially the yellow ones below the lower CPU socket. It could be the lighting but it's a quick look and can save you a lot of trouble.
I had a couple similar cases like yours (the lower one) but I threw them out as, because of those "ridges" they aren't very good at being stacked on top of each other 😜

Thanks!
About CPU,yes i wanted something like 900mhz or 1ghz,but all i have atm is 733 😵
It's not such hot as P4 so i use it w/o additional fans.
I found intel stock fans is actually quite well,it cools fine and not loudest in system,in gaming loudest part - gpu fan,in workstation - scsi drive.
And caps just looks like them about to bulge at photo,irl there flat.
The case... only tower i got kinda unused atm.

Also i think about Tualatin build to play some with Win ME or 2k,even got this bad boys.

5GGn8aEl.jpg

Plans was made dual-head beast,i tracked Acorp 6A815EPD at local flea market, but seller asked 130$ for mobo... so until i have decent(even with 1 socket) board,they just gonna wait...

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 3 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rein_ein wrote:
Thanks! About CPU,yes i wanted something like 900mhz or 1ghz,but all i have atm is 733 :dead: It's not such hot as P4 so i use […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
Looks very good! :D […]
Show full quote

Looks very good! 😁

Thanks!
About CPU,yes i wanted something like 900mhz or 1ghz,but all i have atm is 733 😵
It's not such hot as P4 so i use it w/o additional fans.
I found intel stock fans is actually quite well,it cools fine and not loudest in system,in gaming loudest part - gpu fan,in workstation - scsi drive.
And caps just looks like them about to bulge at photo,irl there flat.
The case... only tower i got kinda unused atm.

Also i think about Tualatin build to play some with Win ME or 2k,even got this bad boys.

5GGn8aEl.jpg

Plans was made dual-head beast,i tracked Acorp 6A815EPD at local flea market, but seller asked 130$ for mobo... so until i have decent(even with 1 socket) board,they just gonna wait...

There are pin-modded Tualatin-S chips available from someone in Korea? I don't know if he's still doing business but many people were apparently very happy with his work.

Tualatins will often work in boards that don't officially support Tualatin after a pin mod.

I never bothered to do either as I'm already well stocked on Tualatin capable boards and I had already bought plenty Tualatins before I learned of this Korean guy and the pin mod.

Tualatin boards were always somewhat harder to find, even when Coppermine boards were all over the place. The pin-modded chips would seem like the best solution at this time, mostly because Coppermine boards should be easier to find and a lot cheaper and the modded chips weren't much more expensive compared to buying the chips unmodded. Tualatin-S 1400 is not a rare chip at all, thank god 🤣! The problem is more about finding a suitable board to put them in 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 15, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is the link to the modded PIII 1400-S from Korea. They are not very cheap but shipping is included so ask for a discount if you are buying more than one. The seller dosnt have an ad for the Tualeron 1400 with 100 MHz FSB at the moment but he sells those aswell for $5 less than the PIII-S.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tualatin-P-IIIs-1-4 … Q0AAOxyRhBSxjSY

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 15, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lurking on regional ads sites found that there used ABIT SL30T + 1.4ghz Celly for sale just for 6.25$,probably gonna ride for it this weekend

Pin modding sounds interesting to try on my own,maybe in future if i find some unwanted hardware,currently only my lame experience with that was with 771->775 🤣

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 6 of 15, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can find a TUV4-X usually for not too much. If you get one, you'll need to flash the bios first though, I have a custom one with the microcode update in it. Shoot me a message if you need it... I *think* I have it archived on this machine. I really need to get that box up and running again, just need some fans for the GPU.

Reply 7 of 15, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RoyBatty wrote:

You can find a TUV4-X usually for not too much. If you get one, you'll need to flash the bios first though, I have a custom one with the microcode update in it. Shoot me a message if you need it... I *think* I have it archived on this machine. I really need to get that box up and running again, just need some fans for the GPU.

If i find it i'll pm you) good luck with getting up you machine 😀

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 8 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RoyBatty wrote:

Could you please share your custom BIOS? 😊
You can explain what your custom BIOS does after I flashed mine! 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 15, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hrm I need to find the HD now, it's not on my current ones. All I did was take the latest beta bios from ASUS (1006 I think) and update the microcode tables for the SL6BY stepping revision. It's not that hard to do.

Reply 10 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RoyBatty wrote:

Hrm I need to find the HD now, it's not on my current ones. All I did was take the latest beta bios from ASUS (1006 I think) and update the microcode tables for the SL6BY stepping revision. It's not that hard to do.

I actually have no idea on how to do that (unless it involves some sort of hex-editing). Would it be possible for you to either send me a private message with a small explanation or maybe write a little guide on how to achieve this?
Or just send me some links where I can read about it, but specific examples work best for me

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 15, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used a ASUS CUV/4X, apollo pro 133 system on a day to day basis. Pentium 3 933 MHZ copermine, AGP Voodoo 3 3000 and soundblaster 16 ISA, 512MB SDRAM. It's been as good as gold for last 3 years, to be honest I push it far further and expect far more of it than is fair, but it puts up with it very, very well.
In fact I used it as my main PC for a good few months before I built "project dustbin" a Celeron D 2.4Ghz based 478 build with 100% rescued parts(really everthing was found on side of road!). It coped really well and will be kept as it is as long as I own it. Apart from the really long start times the VIA 133 pro is just fine, I even used it sucessfully with a VIA C3 866MHz (samuel 2) CPU with no problems(slow as heck tho, way worse than the Celeron 600MHz I also tried).

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 12 of 15, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BSA Starfire wrote:

I used a ASUS CUV/4X, apollo pro 133 system on a day to day basis. Pentium 3 933 MHZ copermine, AGP Voodoo 3 3000 and soundblaster 16 ISA, 512MB SDRAM. It's been as good as gold for last 3 years, to be honest I push it far further and expect far more of it than is fair, but it puts up with it very, very well.
In fact I used it as my main PC for a good few months before I built "project dustbin" a Celeron D 2.4Ghz based 478 build with 100% rescued parts(really everthing was found on side of road!). It coped really well and will be kept as it is as long as I own it. Apart from the really long start times the VIA 133 pro is just fine, I even used it sucessfully with a VIA C3 866MHz (samuel 2) CPU with no problems(slow as heck tho, way worse than the Celeron 600MHz I also tried).

I have some good experience but with C16PnP only,true sb16 i got was dead with overheating signs,hmm Via sounds interesting,is it good in any particular except providing more gold for goldscrappers? 😈

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 13 of 15, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:
BSA Starfire wrote:

I have some good experience but with C16PnP only,true sb16 i got was dead with overheating signs,hmm Via sounds interesting,is it good in any particular except providing more gold for goldscrappers? 😈

Well in my opinion VIA C3 is only good for curiosity, it's based on the old IDT centaur winchip C6 that was good back when it was new(at least as a a cheap reliable non gaming CPU( i used one with word6 for years as a journalist). I have both a VIA C3A 866 MHz socket 370 CPU and a VIA C7D 1500 MHz motherboard setup. Neither are even competitive with Celeron coppermine CPU's.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 14 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BSA Starfire wrote:

Well in my opinion VIA C3 is only good for curiosity, it's based on the old IDT centaur winchip C6 that was good back when it was new(at least as a a cheap reliable non gaming CPU( i used one with word6 for years as a journalist). I have both a VIA C3A 866 MHz socket 370 CPU and a VIA C7D 1500 MHz motherboard setup. Neither are even competitive with Celeron coppermine CPU's.

Well, in theory these VIA C3's slow performance could actually be beneficial when one needs to slow down the system for DOS games or so.
VIA C3s have the ability to change their multiplier by software. It was part of their design, I don't know the details anymore though but there was a thread about it here SetMul - Multiplier control for VIA C3 / AMD K6+7+8 Mobile / Cyrix 5x86
Except for Nehemiah, their FPUs actually ran at only half the CPU frequency. It is very easy to cool and another interesting bit may be the more flexible (and often more stable) boards these VIA C3s can be used in
Their slowness may actually be their de-undoing! 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 15, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good thing is my tech buddy might still have copies of it, he's digging now. I can't get into my P3 atm... I've been looking for an ide interface that works with windows 7 x64 but not having any luck.

I really need to get into it, I have a program on there that also allows enabling memory interleave on apollo pro.