VOGONS

Reply 200 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, custom cooling solution for the OR840.

I've been saying I'd do something about it for a couple of years now, most likely design and print something. Well, today I finally started. The first step was modeling some Slot 1 CPU brackets, which were notoriously absent from thingiverse 🤷🏾

You should be able to find some now 😉

Please note that while all Slot1 CPUs will fit, only SECC CPUs (original Pentium2 cartridges, some heatsinks like mine) will be properly supported and locked. They are modeled after IBM brackets, which I will completely reproduce later on if no one remixes these.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 203 of 269, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333389245014

use one of those. the metal heatspreader is removeable and you can modify that SAFELY. or you can MAYBE use something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/132424207704 directly on the die.

be warned, on early slot-1 boards, the L2 cache was external to the cpu and benefits from active cooling overclocking. In fact, i'd say keeping the L2 cache cool is MORE important to overclocking than the cpu core.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 204 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2020-12-16, 08:00:

be warned, on early slot-1 boards, the L2 cache was external to the cpu and benefits from active cooling overclocking. In fact, i'd say keeping the L2 cache cool is MORE important to overclocking than the cpu core.

For sure! Oveclocking Klamath, Deschutes, and Katmai, is basically an exercise in cooling the L2 cache.

Reply 205 of 269, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks LB. I have 2 SL4BS cpus. https://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL4BS.html
those have on die cache,
theres doesn't seem to be overclocking options for or840, at least not on the Intel/IBM/reference motherboard.

The north bridge one might work with elbo fittings for the hoses.

Reply 206 of 269, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2020-12-16, 22:43:
Thanks LB. I have 2 SL4BS cpus. https://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL4BS.html those have on die cache, theres doesn't seem t […]
Show full quote

Thanks LB. I have 2 SL4BS cpus. https://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL4BS.html
those have on die cache,
theres doesn't seem to be overclocking options for or840, at least not on the Intel/IBM/reference motherboard.

The north bridge one might work with elbo fittings for the hoses.

I was talking in general, regarding overclocking.

If you want to overclock on the OR840, there's a debug header between the slots where you can feed a clock if memory serves me right. You can play with that and make a custom overclocking device using an arduino and a Si5351 clock generator. I gave it some thought a while back, but couldn't be bothered to actually do it.

Reply 207 of 269, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

problem I have is the space between CPUs is very small, smaller if I use slockets, even worst if its slockets + lin lin.
If I was good enough Id design some retention brackets, for some off the shelf coolers from cpu mounting. Heatpipes would work well too.
as it is i'm having to use some generic coolermaster secc1 coolers with 40mm fans wired to 5v instead of 12v becasue noise.
some 12v fans seem to tolerate that and they quiet down.

Reply 208 of 269, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The only manufacturer of motherboards that would even possibly have overclocking would be asus. (without hacks)

i think there were like three motherboards that had the 840. the intel OR840, Supermicro P3DR3 and i think the tyan S2520

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 209 of 269, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was some motorola 840 with dual s370 with isa slots, and onboard scsi. No chance to ever find that. Looks pretty awesome tho.

Motorola PATX5000
http://mediaserver.voxtechnologies.com/FileCa … t-969840331.pdf

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    Filename
    unnamed.png
    File size
    239.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 210 of 269, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also mentioned here, Compaq AP550 which is a bit customised version of OR840 (has onboard sound, LAN, SCSI).

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 213 of 269, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2020-12-20, 09:46:

oh, there is one of the motherbords on ebay for not a totally stupid price.

https://www.ebay.com/c/102546241

That's an AP500 not an AP550. My spare AP550 looks as below and I also recall Compaq use a none standard PSU connection, notice it's a 24-pin rather than a 20-pin connector

Attachments

• Compaq-AP550.jpg
    Filename
    Compaq-AP550.jpg
    File size
    186.73 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Compaq AP550
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 214 of 269, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it uses 24+10 pin PSu but standard 24pin PSU is adaptable by re-arranging pins and adding separate 10pin connector.

Reply 215 of 269, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Paadam wrote on 2020-12-21, 10:00:

Yes, it uses 24+10 pin PSu but standard 24pin PSU is adaptable by re-arranging pins and adding separate 10pin connector.

No, it's 24-pin + 6-pin, see Weird Compaq Motherboard for the pinouts

Reply 216 of 269, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah sorry my mistake. Did not bother to open up the case 😜 Anyway, it works well with Tualatins though obviously needs modified MSI slokets.

Reply 217 of 269, by d4m3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, hello fellow kids OR840 owners, i've recently acquired an i intellistation m pro 6868, with this awesome but hard to setup board inside, so i m planning to put some resources to get it working
first of all, slivercr, big thanks for this thread, i've got so much info about this board here.
so, i've got the workstation in this config: single 933/133/256 slot1 cpu, dummy in the other slot, dual 128mb 40ns rimms with no crimms in the other 2 slots.
it was sold as 'broken (not starting)', but i have figured out it was just the battery so it's now starting, giving the error beeps about the absent memory modules.
i am about to buy some memory now (serial number is 750711-702, so i guess 512mb rims is the way to go), and need a piece of advice - i have read the Hannibal Ram Guide about rimms and basically it says that more rimm modules = more latency (cause rimm uses serial principle of data transfer).
my question is - will using crims in slots 2 and 4 improve latency? i know its a silly one but i dont want to spend extra money on another 2x512 set if dual channel mode does not require you to populate all the slots and there may be even performance hit. 1gb is plenty for win2k.
there is also 40ns vs 45ns performance difference, i could not find any benchmarks anywhere but im just curious if there is any (if or840 even supports 40n timings)

Reply 218 of 269, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d4m3d wrote on 2021-07-01, 13:18:
well, hello fellow kids OR840 owners, i've recently acquired an i intellistation m pro 6868, with this awesome but hard to setup […]
Show full quote

well, hello fellow kids OR840 owners, i've recently acquired an i intellistation m pro 6868, with this awesome but hard to setup board inside, so i m planning to put some resources to get it working
first of all, slivercr, big thanks for this thread, i've got so much info about this board here.
so, i've got the workstation in this config: single 933/133/256 slot1 cpu, dummy in the other slot, dual 128mb 40ns rimms with no crimms in the other 2 slots.
it was sold as 'broken (not starting)', but i have figured out it was just the battery so it's now starting, giving the error beeps about the absent memory modules.
i am about to buy some memory now (serial number is 750711-702, so i guess 512mb rims is the way to go), and need a piece of advice - i have read the Hannibal Ram Guide about rimms and basically it says that more rimm modules = more latency (cause rimm uses serial principle of data transfer).
my question is - will using crims in slots 2 and 4 improve latency? i know its a silly one but i dont want to spend extra money on another 2x512 set if dual channel mode does not require you to populate all the slots and there may be even performance hit. 1gb is plenty for win2k.
there is also 40ns vs 45ns performance difference, i could not find any benchmarks anywhere but im just curious if there is any (if or840 even supports 40n timings)

Welcome to Vogons 😀

Just a note that many of the earlier BIOS versions didn't support 512MB RIMMs - if you're unsure then the latest version is vailable thru the file repository set up by slivercr at the start of the thread.

Reply 219 of 269, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The OR840 supports dual-channel-Rambus. So you get a performance boost (in some cases for SMP), if you populate both channels. Rambus RAM is a serial Daisy Chain of Memory chips (chips, not modules!) with a Memory controller for each chip. As larger the Module Size, as longer the Daisy Chain. So the highest Memory performnce with your i840 Board should be a population with two small (64MB) and fast (800MHz, 40ns) Modules + Termination (CRIMMs). You should consider the correct population of both channels.

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE