1997 Pentium MMX Rebuild

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 64, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nick4 wrote on 2021-01-12, 11:00:

But I have to run S3 Refresh every time the system reboots, is it possible to keep refresh rate settings? Save changes to autoexec didn`t help...

Not sure, I only used that utility for a short time while testing the S3D version of Tomb Raider. Maybe someone else knows of a way to keep the refresh settings after a restart.

Did not help( Tried all color modes in all resolutions in Quake 1 and Outlaws.

It won't work for vanilla Quake since that's a DOS game. The approach I described earlier only works for native Windows games. I'm not familiar with Outlaws, but I'm guessing it might use some resolution that's not present under Windows desktop settings. An alternative approach would be to use PowerStrip which does have an option to force a certain refresh rate, but I personally had no success with that program.

Using Audigy drivers with a Sound Blaster Live
Installing DOS drivers on an Audigy2 ZS
OPL3 vs. ESFM vs. CQM vs. SBLive
OPTi 82C930 review

Reply 61 of 64, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-01-12, 11:17:

It won't work for vanilla Quake since that's a DOS game. The approach I described earlier only works for native Windows games. I'm not familiar with Outlaws, but I'm guessing it might use some resolution that's not present under Windows desktop settings. An alternative approach would be to use PowerStrip which does have an option to force a certain refresh rate, but I personally had no success with that program.

Quake has all DOS, Windows and 3DFX(glQuake) versions. So decided to test all of them. DOS version runs perfect at 85 Hz with S3 Refresh, 3DFX glQuake version runs 120 Hz with no problem, but Windows version runs only 60 Hz. Also tried Q2 with no luck.

Reply 62 of 64, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-01-12, 11:17:
Nick4 wrote on 2021-01-12, 11:00:

But I have to run S3 Refresh every time the system reboots, is it possible to keep refresh rate settings? Save changes to autoexec didn`t help...

Not sure, I only used that utility for a short time while testing the S3D version of Tomb Raider. Maybe someone else knows of a way to keep the refresh settings after a restart.

Ok, it was just wrong position in autoexec, moved it from the end of file to the middle and everything worked.