1997 Pentium MMX Rebuild

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 89, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nick4 wrote on 2021-01-12, 11:00:

But I have to run S3 Refresh every time the system reboots, is it possible to keep refresh rate settings? Save changes to autoexec didn`t help...

Not sure, I only used that utility for a short time while testing the S3D version of Tomb Raider. Maybe someone else knows of a way to keep the refresh settings after a restart.

Did not help( Tried all color modes in all resolutions in Quake 1 and Outlaws.

It won't work for vanilla Quake since that's a DOS game. The approach I described earlier only works for native Windows games. I'm not familiar with Outlaws, but I'm guessing it might use some resolution that's not present under Windows desktop settings. An alternative approach would be to use PowerStrip which does have an option to force a certain refresh rate, but I personally had no success with that program.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 61 of 89, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-01-12, 11:17:

It won't work for vanilla Quake since that's a DOS game. The approach I described earlier only works for native Windows games. I'm not familiar with Outlaws, but I'm guessing it might use some resolution that's not present under Windows desktop settings. An alternative approach would be to use PowerStrip which does have an option to force a certain refresh rate, but I personally had no success with that program.

Quake has all DOS, Windows and 3DFX(glQuake) versions. So decided to test all of them. DOS version runs perfect at 85 Hz with S3 Refresh, 3DFX glQuake version runs 120 Hz with no problem, but Windows version runs only 60 Hz. Also tried Q2 with no luck.

Reply 62 of 89, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-01-12, 11:17:
Nick4 wrote on 2021-01-12, 11:00:

But I have to run S3 Refresh every time the system reboots, is it possible to keep refresh rate settings? Save changes to autoexec didn`t help...

Not sure, I only used that utility for a short time while testing the S3D version of Tomb Raider. Maybe someone else knows of a way to keep the refresh settings after a restart.

Ok, it was just wrong position in autoexec, moved it from the end of file to the middle and everything worked.

Reply 66 of 89, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Upgraded a CPU from P200 SL23W to P233 SL27S. Did not see any difference in performance, as I expected=) But I just wanted to max out Socket 7 Intel`s CPU. Later I`ll add some more RAM and may be try some overclocking.

fMM7SH0m.jpg Ni1h48Fm.jpg 5KjJiZim.jpg

Reply 67 of 89, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a very nice maxxed P1!

i have a P1 mmx 166mhz with 64mb of glorious edo ram! I'd recommend doubling the ram if you can, but to be honest your PC as it is can run window 3.1, 95 or 98 and masses of dos and early windows games just fine as it is

great components, mine has only the basics (2mb graphics card, low end soundcard) but still runs everything from back then really well, yours must be a beast!

i probably wouldn't even consider overclocking with all that power, i'd say you have 1997 well and truly encompassed

Reply 68 of 89, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerry wrote on 2021-01-22, 09:52:
a very nice maxxed P1! […]
Show full quote

a very nice maxxed P1!

i have a P1 mmx 166mhz with 64mb of glorious edo ram! I'd recommend doubling the ram if you can, but to be honest your PC as it is can run window 3.1, 95 or 98 and masses of dos and early windows games just fine as it is

great components, mine has only the basics (2mb graphics card, low end soundcard) but still runs everything from back then really well, yours must be a beast!

i probably wouldn't even consider overclocking with all that power, i'd say you have 1997 well and truly encompassed

Thanks, I`m planning to install 64 Mb of RAM (max for DOS). Now i run a dual-boot DOS/Win98SE + i have 2 additional CF cards with Win95 and 3.1 and they run just perfect.

I`m curious to try OC, do not think I`ll use it all the time.

Reply 69 of 89, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, maxed out P1 is more like 75 FSB x 3.5 = 262 Mhz, or 83x3.5 = 292 Mhz.

Btw, I would use maximum 15'' monitor to old 486/Pentium 1 retro build. The reason is, old games, that run only 320x200 or 640x480, doesnt look good on 17''.
Also, most of users didnt have 17'' in 1995-1998 era, they've used eighter 14'' or 15''. So 14 or 15 is more realistic, nostalgic and "period correct" for me. I don't like to use 17'' or higher monitors for pre-2000 retro PCs.
Really, try 320x200 games on 14'' and you'll see, how nice they look. Much nicer than on 17''.

Reply 70 of 89, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
W.x. wrote on 2021-01-23, 13:40:
Well, maxed out P1 is more like 75 FSB x 3.5 = 262 Mhz, or 83x3.5 = 292 Mhz. […]
Show full quote

Well, maxed out P1 is more like 75 FSB x 3.5 = 262 Mhz, or 83x3.5 = 292 Mhz.

Btw, I would use maximum 15'' monitor to old 486/Pentium 1 retro build. The reason is, old games, that run only 320x200 or 640x480, doesnt look good on 17''.
Also, most of users didnt have 17'' in 1995-1998 era, they've used eighter 14'' or 15''. So 14 or 15 is more realistic, nostalgic and "period correct" for me. I don't like to use 17'' or higher monitors for pre-2000 retro PCs.
Really, try 320x200 games on 14'' and you'll see, how nice they look. Much nicer than on 17''.

You`re talking about overclocking. I will have some fun with it. I meant that I wanted the top Intel`s S7 CPU.

About the monitor. First of all, I remember the 97-98 era very good, cause I`ve got my first PC then — 486DX2 with 14" Samsung monitor. And 14" already was low-end back then. 15" was a common mid-end size for most users. 17"was not so common, but it was affordable. I`ve checked 1998 price lists of local stores and 17" Samsung 700S (that has exact specs like mine Samsung 793df) was $460. Not cheap, but nothing special. it`s like a good 32" 4k monitor right now. It was pretty realistic for pc with Voodoo, top intel`s CPU and stuff=)

But "new old stock" was the main reason for me to get this monitor.

And I like how 640x480 looks on it, good enough for me=)

Reply 71 of 89, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got some upgrades.

First, the big one.
Got Diamond Monster 3D II 8 Mb instead of my Diamond Monster 3D 4 Mb.
4ZsenQel.jpg

8oZkolNl.jpg

This card is longer and does not fit any slot, except last one. But it barely touches cpu cooler with one chip. Not big deal, I placed a tape between them. But I will look for smaller replacement for cooler, just in case.
WljrHwdl.jpg

Second. Found this rare "new in box" mouse, and could not resist to buy it.
qXNTvUcm.jpg 6AdvIxOm.jpg

The brand is KeyMouse. It has a nice glossy finish with some blue-violet tint.
Rk1iZb1l.jpg

5X3j2QLl.jpg

What a cute ball cover!
961lFQal.jpg

It surprisingly smooth and fast for a ball mouse, almost like an optical.

Current setup. Enjoying glorious Voodoo2 gaming:
HopEhG1l.jpg

Reply 73 of 89, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ball mice came in two different flavors. The earlier and cheaper ones used electrical contact discs to detect movement. The later and better ones used optical sensors.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 74 of 89, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-11, 20:35:

Ball mice came in two different flavors. The earlier and cheaper ones used electrical contact discs to detect movement. The later and better ones used optical sensors.

Yes this one is optical but with ball

Reply 75 of 89, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice computer. Also like CRT monitor. I have Samsung 797 MB, working 10 years already. Love that monitor. So I can speak about your monitor, that it's nice. (looks the same). I'm so sad, they don't produce CRT monitors like this anymore.

The only thing I dont like is that weird keyboard. I like classic ones. But if you are used to this layout, it's persolal preferance. Btw, how lucky pricewise were you with that voodoo2? 😀

Reply 76 of 89, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
W.x. wrote on 2021-06-12, 15:12:

Very nice computer. Also like CRT monitor. I have Samsung 797 MB, working 10 years already. Love that monitor. So I can speak about your monitor, that it's nice. (looks the same). I'm so sad, they don't produce CRT monitors like this anymore.

The only thing I dont like is that weird keyboard. I like classic ones. But if you are used to this layout, it's persolal preferance. Btw, how lucky pricewise were you with that voodoo2? 😀

Thanks. This monitor is really nice, old games looks so much better on CRT.

I like ergonomic keyboards, in 90s I dreamed about one, inspired by Win95 wallpaper.

Got this Voodoo 2 for $70, looks like a fair deal.

Reply 78 of 89, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it the Microsoft Natural Keyboard? I bought one of those the day before going to my (computer) written final tests for high school. I thought "What the h** - crash and burn" and wrote the essay on my brand-spanking-new MS Natural keyboard, without having tried one before .. It was GREAT!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀