First post, by melbar
This is my fastest PC with the operating system Win 98.
Sure, there are guys with even faster and higher clocked Win98 PC's, conroe architecture or newer.
But this variant is more about a high flexible Win98 PC for DOS and Win98.
- Pentium 4 2800 (northwood core), clocked in W98: from 1160Mhz to 3000Mhz , clocked in DOS: from 1400Mhz to 2800Mhz
- socket 478/462/754/939/940 cooler, Zalman CNPS 7000B-AlCu, fan control with FAN mate
- QDI PlatiniX 2D (P6I845/P2D-A) , Intel 845 chipset, 478 socket, UltraATA 100, 6 PCI, Sound Connector (PC-PCI / SB-Link)
- 2x 256Mb DDR-RAM PC333, so a total of 512 Mb ram.
- Albatron TI4280P - Geforce 4 Ti 4200-8X, 128 Mb DDR ram.
- PCI sound card - Labway Soundboard D66 ESS Solo-1 ES1938S ,
connected via PC-PCI(not successful with given drivers, and register change via PCISET tool)
- MPU401: - Dreamblaster S2
- PCI sound card - Creative Soundblaster Live (CT4830)
- IDE to SD adapter with a 64Gb SD card inside.
- LG DVD writer optical drive
- 3.5" disk drive
- Enermax EG351P-V , ATX , Total power: 330W
(with recapped capacitors), also replaced the PSU fan with two new 80mm silent fans)
- 2x 80mm case fan's - Xsilence Red silent - with modifed with resistors
- Chieftec midi tower ATX case - black
Possible clock speeds via mainboard jumper:
FSB 66Mhz --> 1400Mhz
FSB 100Mhz --> 2100Mhz
FSB 133Mhz --> 2800Mhz
Additionally possible clock speeds under Win98 environment:
FSB 55Mhz --> 1160Mhz
FSB 143Mhz --> 3000Mhz
Higher FSB speeds i don't have checked. 133Mhz or 143Mhz are out of specification to the i845 chipset anyway. 3 Ghz is more than enough...
(Previously, i had installed a Levicom PSU. The Levicom has a stronger 5V rail, so i have replaced it with the Enermax. Pentium 4 do not need these high 5V rails, they are more recommended for the athlon counterparts.
Options: different VGA's are available. GF4-Ti is mostly the best matching.)
#1 K6-2/500 [VIA MVP3]
#2 Athlon1200 [VIA KT133]
#3 Celeron1000A [i815EP]
#4 P4-2800 [i845]