VOGONS

IBM PC Server 325

Topic actions

First post, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So this bad boy is one of my favorites in my collection because it has that awesome IBM aesthetic to it and the less commonly found socket 8 Pentium Pro. It is also probably the most expensive single system I've bought for the retro pile. SO here goes!

Processor: SL22V 20MHz Pentium Pro
Ram: 622MB(ish)
Graphics: Cirrus Logic 5436 1MB
HDD: 4 SCSI IBM DCAS-32160W 2.1GB hard drives

I have another couple 256mb ECC EDO ram cards coming in the mail as I'm pretty sure this thing can be maxed out at 1GB as well as a second Pentium Pro and I've already got a VRM for it in my parts pile. Its got Windows 2000 Advanced Server currently and was running a little local domain for a bit as an experiment though my knowledge of server/network administration is next to zero. I've also swapped the PSU fan to a Noctua because the old one had a squeaky bearing that I couldn't quite with bones speed cream (Skateboard bearing lubricant makes great fan bearing lubricant in my experience) and eventually I'll swap all of the system fans out with Noctua ideally.

front and opened combined.jpg
Filename
front and opened combined.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It is a beast of a case. Thick steel and monstrously heavy.

processor board.jpg
Filename
processor board.jpg
File size
1.8 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Processor Board

expansion slots.jpg
Filename
expansion slots.jpg
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

All kinds of combo expansion space!

scsi array.jpg
Filename
scsi array.jpg
File size
1.36 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The noisiest bunch of hard drives I own.

dallas ds1587.jpg
Filename
dallas ds1587.jpg
File size
1.8 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Only time I've come across this particular Dallas RTC chip. Trust IBM to make everything that much more proprietary.

Last edited by detritus olentus on 2022-06-03, 06:14. Edited 1 time in total.

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 1 of 21, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
case rear.jpg
Filename
case rear.jpg
File size
324.18 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The back side of the case

diagram.jpg
Filename
diagram.jpg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Diagram and jumper settings

multiport port.jpg
Filename
multiport port.jpg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
multiport card.jpg
Filename
multiport card.jpg
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

When I got it it also had these rather large "multiport" cards in it. I was told they're for operation of terminals and telephone systems but currently they're in a shadowbox as wall art/conversation piece.

gWSJi23.png
Philly Burbs.

Reply 2 of 21, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a bunch of IBM multiport cards for PS/2 systems (8 port serial cards?). I guess they would be good for a bunch of modems for a BBS system back in the day (or just terminals). They have their own CPU onboard forget the model.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 4 of 21, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
davidrg wrote on 2022-06-03, 04:54:

Weird RTC chip might be because of the EISA slots - more space required to store the settings for EISA cards.

Thankfully this one still holds a charge for now because they seem hard to source. The pinout diagram is available but I wonder if anyone here has modified them like the 1287 and 12887 and could offer pointers?

gWSJi23.png
Philly Burbs.

Reply 6 of 21, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-06-03, 14:33:

That's an awesome system and I love the look of that server case. Are you going to max it out with a 2nd PPro and more ram?

Another processor and another two 256MB ram cards are in the mail right now. 😀 I tested a Pentium II overdrive in it once as well but it refused to boot and there doesn't seem to be a jumper setting for it.

gWSJi23.png
Philly Burbs.

Reply 9 of 21, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-06-03, 18:29:

Awesome! I can't wait to see the finished system. Do you have any fun plans for it?

When I get around to buying a house I want to set up an entire retro lair in attic or basement. Would like to do a little mini lab of optiplex machines all networked together on a domain like my school had turn off the century-ish. I've got a few servers but this is the best looking of the lot.

gWSJi23.png
Philly Burbs.

Reply 10 of 21, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mR_Slug wrote on 2022-06-03, 19:24:

I've got the rack version with the PII processor card. They are nice systems. Don't get the Compaq RAM with the wings on them, they wont fit.

Appreciate the heads up!

gWSJi23.png
Philly Burbs.

Reply 11 of 21, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
detritus olentus wrote on 2022-06-03, 19:44:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-06-03, 18:29:

Awesome! I can't wait to see the finished system. Do you have any fun plans for it?

When I get around to buying a house I want to set up an entire retro lair in attic or basement. Would like to do a little mini lab of optiplex machines all networked together on a domain like my school had turn off the century-ish. I've got a few servers but this is the best looking of the lot.

That sounds like a super fun plan. When we get our basement finished in the fall I'll be taking over a corner of it for a similar setup. I'll get some of my old systems setup for a fun retro gaming lan

Reply 12 of 21, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got my second Pentium Pro installed!

IMG_20220607_222411326.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220607_222411326.jpg
File size
1.5 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20220608_000835772.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220608_000835772.jpg
File size
1.69 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

gWSJi23.png
Philly Burbs.

Reply 14 of 21, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mR_Slug wrote on 2022-06-03, 19:24:

Don't get the Compaq RAM with the wings on them, they wont fit.

I had already ordered a couple before you warned me. The big Compaq ram cards with wings will fit in the 325 if the second processor VRM isn't installed and they'll fit in the first and last slots on either side of it when it is present.

IMG_20220617_235951679.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220617_235951679.jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

gWSJi23.png
Philly Burbs.

Reply 16 of 21, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would it be possible to check where does the power on switch connects on the system board? I got a PC Server 325 system board (PCI/ISA, not EISA though) and PII CPU board, cannot get it going on regular ATX PSU+ATadapter without knowing that. Other power connectors are good (two AT + 3.3v one, also 5pin PSU one).

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 17 of 21, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Paadam wrote on 2022-12-06, 07:19:

Would it be possible to check where does the power on switch connects on the system board? I got a PC Server 325 system board (PCI/ISA, not EISA though) and PII CPU board, cannot get it going on regular ATX PSU+ATadapter without knowing that. Other power connectors are good (two AT + 3.3v one, also 5pin PSU one).

It appears to be that all the front panel buttons and lights are connected through the grey cable below the 3 AT power connectors.

Attachments

gWSJi23.png
Philly Burbs.

Reply 18 of 21, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, that's what I thought. Any chance you could measure which two wires (=which pins on the header) are for power button? Just use multimeter with continuity function and check which wires are shorted when power button is pushed. Sorry if it is obvious to you 😀 And thanks in advance!

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 19 of 21, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Boring old server cases that were designed to be hidden away have to be some of the best looking cases in existence. Serious, functional yet still sexy !
2 CPU's, crap load of ram, couple of SCSI drives, awesome beast, love it.

I did a 2000 Small Business Server post few years ago, maybe helpful with playing round with your Server install? but Active Directory is pretty basic and integrates with 2000 nicely .
Earlier versions of windows may put up a fight but can be "convinced" to take orders from big brother in the end

Windows 2000 20th Anniversary Client/server build