VOGONS

First post, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just acquired this MSI 694D PRO2 (MS-6321) motherboard. It came with two unknown CPUs. Turns out they were two matching 1GHz Coppermines! SCORE!

MSI 694D PRO2 MS-6321
2x 1GHz Pentium III 133MHz Coppermines
384MB PC133 (Soon to be 4GB double stacked Registered ECC DIMMs)
NVIDIA Quadro DCC (Basically a Geforce3)
SB Live! "24-bit" SB0410
32GB SATA SSD with SATA > IDE adapter
Windows XP Pro (Might try Windows 2000)

I am in love with this machine! This is my favorite machine for right now. It feels way faster than it actually is. More cores = more better 😁
It flies using the Memory Interleave Enabler + PCI Latency Patch. I might try some WPCRSET2 tweaks but I'm not sure if they are redundant due to the other patches.

Screenshot%20from%202023-08-23%2004-06-11.png
Screenshot%20from%202023-08-23%2004-07-16.png
Screenshot%20from%202023-08-23%2004-06-48.png
Screenshot%20from%202023-08-23%2004-07-03.png
Screenshot%20from%202023-08-23%2004-10-45.png
screenshot.png

Reply 1 of 25, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice machine! I also got a few Abit VP6 and they are awesome boards. You can "feel"the difference the second CPU brings to the table when testing and gaming. Using fraps or MSI afterburner no longer leads to drops in frame-rate in contrast to single Pentium III Coppermine when the situation leads to lower scores because the processing power is so limited.

Reply 3 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Soon to be 4GB double stacked Registered ECC DIMMs

1) 1 Gb RAM stick might not work, even if it's registered.
2) Getting over 3 Gb on 32-bit system without PAE is pointless and that chipset can't do it.
3) Manual states that stable operation is not guaranteed with more than 3 dual-rank PC133 memory modules.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 25, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice rig! But it BURNS in my eyes, that the INTEL logo on the coolers are positioned in those directions 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 5 of 25, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Haha, I did it that way because the fan wires were too long.

H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-08-23, 11:16:

Nice rig! But it BURNS in my eyes, that the INTEL logo on the coolers are positioned in those directions 🤣

Reply 6 of 25, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-08-23, 09:14:
1) 1 Gb RAM stick might not work, even if it's registered. 2) Getting over 3 Gb on 32-bit system without PAE is pointless and th […]
Show full quote

Soon to be 4GB double stacked Registered ECC DIMMs

2) Getting over 3 Gb on 32-bit system without PAE is pointless and that chipset can't do it.
3) Manual states that stable operation is not guaranteed with more than 3 dual-rank PC133 memory modules.

Have you tried though? Or just going by the manual? I found some info online saying it can. I want to try it. Plus, even if it can't use all 4GB, I want to see 4 modules installed 🤣.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 25, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dj_pirtu wrote on 2023-08-23, 08:40:

Screams for modding to put there P3-S 1,4GHz Tualatins!!

Nah. Not for me. I probably would have tried in my younger days but now I'm not into hardcore modding anymore. I am happy that it's maxed out stock and just works.

Reply 8 of 25, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nd22 wrote on 2023-08-23, 08:27:

Nice machine! I also got a few Abit VP6 and they are awesome boards. You can "feel"the difference the second CPU brings to the table when testing and gaming. Using fraps or MSI afterburner no longer leads to drops in frame-rate in contrast to single Pentium III Coppermine when the situation leads to lower scores because the processing power is so limited.

Thank ya! Yeah it you really can feel it. I am super happy with the setup.

Reply 9 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried though?

I've tried only registered 512Mb modules. They work fine on 694X. Even fancy ones with parity for each bank (16 +4 chips)

Reply 12 of 25, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course 4Gb RAM makes sense. With the right Windows you can get up to 3Gb available. With Linux you can get almost the entire addressable (space at the expense of deep file swaps).
Staying with 3Gb will reduce you to 2Gb in Windows at best and about 2.5-2.7Gb in Linux before going into swap (depends on the Linux, etc).

Technically 4Gb is not officially supported, but if you don't overclock too much it works just fine most of the time.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 13 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With the right Windows you can get up to 3Gb available

Yes, with 3 modules. But actually up to 3.5 Gb, depending on hardware configuration, with 4 modules (it's just not worth it, unless it's a dual channel memory controller).

Staying with 3Gb will reduce you to 2Gb

No.

but if you don't overclock

It doesn't matter how much RAM modules have available in Mb, what matters here is how many banks per module are present. Max bank configs will always work less stable.

Reply 14 of 25, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Again, with the right Windows version you can compact the buffer reserved for kernel, drivers, etc.
So, with 3Gb physical RAM installed the most you can get available for applications is ~2Gb.
Keep in mind that 32-bit Windows apps cannot address more than 2Gb RAM unless /LARGEADDRESSAWARE is added to the compiler.

Assuming the right 4x1Gb modules are installed (full 4Gb addressable space is available), the only limiting factor will be overclocking.
Those who went through the exercise will remember that RAM count during POST gets smaller and smaller with the the system getting pushed higher and higher on the overclock.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 15 of 25, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In reality, how much RAM do you need in a system - As much as you're actually going to use. (I know it's fun to try and max things out! 😀 )

As fare as a a dual PIII goes, even 2GB is overkill realistically speaking!

YouTube

Reply 16 of 25, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pshipkov wrote on 2023-08-23, 16:11:
Of course 4Gb RAM makes sense. With the right Windows you can get up to 3Gb available. With Linux you can get almost the entire […]
Show full quote

Of course 4Gb RAM makes sense. With the right Windows you can get up to 3Gb available. With Linux you can get almost the entire addressable (space at the expense of deep file swaps).
Staying with 3Gb will reduce you to 2Gb in Windows at best and about 2.5-2.7Gb in Linux before going into swap (depends on the Linux, etc).

Technically 4Gb is not officially supported, but if you don't overclock too much it works just fine most of the time.

Thank you 😁 Right on the money and I'm not overclocking at all. I want this machine to last forever. My overclocking days are pretty much over.

I don't care how much is actually usable. I just want to have 4 modules installed out of my own satisfaction. This machine is about having fun. The double stacked modules look really cool. I'm going to try them and post back if they work. If they don't work I'll use 4x 512MB modules. I think the 4 DIMMs will be stable since they are Registered. If not, I'll just take one out.

Reply 18 of 25, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boggsman wrote on 2023-08-24, 00:21:

You could also say it's completely pointless playing games of this era on a dual CPU machine. It's still cool and fun though! 😜

🤣, This is what I thought!
Most my reto rigs are dual processor. If I was been practical, I'd just go a generation newer. Socket 478 is going to out perform Socket 370 and cheaper as well.
But thats less sexy then playing a game on a PC with 2 CPU's and 3 times the amount of RAM then needed.

Reply 19 of 25, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

100% Chinny.

Reasoning about reason and practicality in this particular forum is unreasonable.
Boggsman feels that 4x1Gb RAM will get the Feng-Shui of his PC flowing - sure, no problem.
We are supposed to cheerlead along.
The hobby club thing as you know.
; )

retro bits and bytes