VOGONS

First post, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking for inspiration. As of now, I have a motherboard tray with no support for peripheral cards lying on top of a stack of til boxes. FDD/HDD/ODD lying next to it, power supply falling down often. It sucks, but I'm missing the inspiration to make something smart. Help me out here 😎

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 1 of 15, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2024-01-14, 21:22:

Looking for inspiration. As of now, I have a motherboard tray with no support for peripheral cards lying on top of a stack of til boxes. FDD/HDD/ODD lying next to it, power supply falling down often. It sucks, but I'm missing the inspiration to make something smart. Help me out here 😎

I have the cheapest testbench from Amazon with a 939Dual-Sata2, an A64 3200+, a CF to IDE card and a 1000w modular PSU.

No room for hard drives or optical devices either.

IMG_20240120_114816.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240120_114816.jpg
File size
1.54 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 2 of 15, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It used to be a salvaged motherboard tray and drive bay from an ATX case. In recent times I'm just using a uATX Acer Veriton desktop case.

IMG_20240120_121345.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240120_121345.jpg
File size
752.77 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20220313_160937.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220313_160937.jpg
File size
868.32 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

"Proper" testbenches are way to overpriced for what they are.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 15, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My test bench is just the top of my workbench. It's covered in an anti-static mat, so I'm not worried about shorting anything.

I prefer the flexibility of being able to mix and match any components as needed. Especially since I routinely work on both AT and ATX setups.

Just basic board with an ESD surface is really all that's needed for a serviceable test bench, IMHO.

Attachments

• 486 Testbench.jpg
    Filename
    486 Testbench.jpg
    File size
    726.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 15, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice to see some setups. My problem is space, so I am balancing everything on top of my Milwaukee PackOut til boxes, so I need something that can quickly be removed for me to open the boxes.
I'm currently using an ATX mount plate from a Thermaltake Cube, which I had to scrap since vinegar, sunlight, etc wasn't enough to get the smell of smoking out of the plastic parts. Unfortunately it doesn't have any retention bracket for pci etc., but I'm about designing and 3d printing parts to mount psu, hdd, fdd, odd etc below the plate, hoping to be able to get it stable enough ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 5 of 15, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, BTW, I do have a stack of ATX cases in the shed, I just don't feel right about gutting a perfectly fine case for the tray and drive mounts ..

Reply 6 of 15, by demiurge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
acl wrote on 2024-01-20, 10:49:

I have the cheapest testbench from Amazon with a 939Dual-Sata2, an A64 3200+, a CF to IDE card and a 1000w modular PSU.

That looks identical to what I did but I didn't like the fact the PSU only had two screws holding it in. I upgraded to a stacking version for 50 dollars on AliExpress.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I purchased this really nice Bench with draws and shelves and power strips.
I purchased from a computer supply liqidator.
It’s in my Garage with boxes stacked on top.
So I never use it.

For now I just use my 486 computer as a table with a cardboard box on top for a Test Bench.

Attachments

• IMG_9215.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_9215.jpeg
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_9216.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_9216.jpeg
    File size
    1.1 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_9218.png
    Filename
    IMG_9218.png
    File size
    28.33 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 12 of 15, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nd22 wrote on 2024-01-25, 10:31:

Cooler master haf xb evo can be configured as a test bench, "normal" pc, taken to a lanparty; it's stackable... you name it!

Yup, that's the case I have for my daily driver 😀

Reply 13 of 15, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My reasonably priced one 😀
I got this one I think 6 or so years ago for retro build in mind for 15 EUR brand new. Well I can say it was objectively priced. Still paid for it so I'm using (part) of it.

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    Filename
    bench.jpg
    File size
    561.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by vutt on 2024-02-05, 09:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 15, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vutt wrote on 2024-02-04, 11:54:

My reasonably priced one 😀
I got this one I think 6 or so years ago for retro my build in mind for 15 EUR brand new. Well I can say it was objectively priced. Still paid for it so I'm using (part) of it.

That's a cool take on it 😀

Reply 15 of 15, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've decided; in the light of nothing reasonably priced available, to put the Ender 3v2 and Fusion 360 into work.

I've let myself get inspired by this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4935303 and am in the process of constructing a similar setup, using the tray from the ThermalTake as a base, and printing side stands like the ones in the link, with a PSU mount. Also I'm making mounts for 5.25" ODDs, 3½" floppy and whatever number of 3½" HDDs there'll be room for.

Any inputs on what else, I'd be happy to mount underneeth the tray?