VOGONS

First post, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A while back I asked for advice on the platform with the fastest integrated GPU that has drivers for Windows XP. My aim was to use one of the super compact A09 ITX cases with internal flexATX PSU (rather than needing a power brick) and be able to play games right through to late XP era titles like Medieval Total War 2.

IMG20240118201404.jpg
Filename
IMG20240118201404.jpg
File size
1.16 MiB
Views
File comment
A09 case
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Originally I tried an i5-3470 with an MSI H61 ITX board, but found that I was often only getting 15fps in MTW2. It seems a consensus that the final XP compatible AMD APUs had much better graphics performance, and the "Trinity" core was the final generation with official driver support.

So this time I've got:

MSI A88Xi AC ITX motherboard with miniPCIe Intel WiFi (had to swap this for an older model with XP drivers)
AMD A8 5500 APU with Radeon HD 7560D
4Gb DDR3-1600 RAM (should probably find a second stick?)
Kingston 480Gb SATA SSD (had spare)
A09 ITX case with hard drive bracket in place
FSP 280W flexATX PSU

IMG_20240118_201812.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240118_201812.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File comment
Hard drive bracket needed a "left angle" SATA cable - pretty hard to find!
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20240118_201731.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240118_201731.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

All seems to be working well, and I'm really pleased with performance. MTW2 ranges between 35 and 65fps on "best" graphical detail settings, and usually around 120fps, occasionally as low as 85 or 90, on medium. 3DMark2001 came out at 24725.

I guess doubling up to 8Gb RAM would improve things further (considering the graphics take more than 1.5Gb).

I think I've seen suggestions that some later AMD APUs for FM2 will work on XP in practice as well, even if Trinity are the final ones with official support. Would any be a worthwhile upgrade? All FM2 CPUs seem pretty cheap!

Reply 1 of 7, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Neat. Since you use integrated graphics, switching to dual-channel RAM would give a performance boost. In that regard 2x2GB is much better than 1x4GB. Going beyond 4GB will also work, but makes little sense for 32-bit XP.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 2 of 7, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bruno128 wrote on 2024-01-21, 18:05:

Neat. Since you use integrated graphics, switching to dual-channel RAM would give a performance boost. In that regard 2x2GB is much better than 1x4GB. Going beyond 4GB will also work, but makes little sense for 32-bit XP.

Thanks! I do actually have 2 x 2Gb DDR3 sat in a spare AM3 motherboard I'm not using, so I'll give that a try!

I've noticed I'm getting pretty high temperatures though - around 60C at idle / web browsing in Win10. That seems a bit too high?

The cooler is only one of the smaller AMD stock ones - even the slightly taller AMD stock type with copper core is too tall to fit in this case! I wonder if removing the SSD bracket and just jamming the SSD between the top of the case and the bundle of wires around there might improve airflow to the CPU enough to make a difference?

Any recommendations for other low profile FM2/AM3 type coolers? I did try an AliExpress generic Aluminium 'flower' type, but it was wide enough it blocked one of the DIMM sockets (and didn't seem any cooler).

Reply 3 of 7, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good airflow clearance does wonders. And that huge HDD bracket blocking entire path is not a good design choice indeed. Not even the most expensive cooler can do its job without air intake.
RAM: timings and frequency is also important in that scenario (think of it as you would about video card memory clocks)

Reply 4 of 7, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bruno128 wrote on 2024-01-21, 18:05:

So I just swapped the single 4Gb stick of DDR3-1600 for a pair of 2Gb DDR3-1333 sticks, and got a pretty dramatic performance increase! 3DMark2001 went from 24348 to 30827! And in my favourite game Medieval2, FPS now doesn't drop below ~130fps at maximum settings. Thanks again for the tip!

Bruno128 wrote on 2024-01-24, 22:50:

Good airflow clearance does wonders. And that huge HDD bracket blocking entire path is not a good design choice indeed. Not even the most expensive cooler can do its job without air intake.
RAM: timings and frequency is also important in that scenario (think of it as you would about video card memory clocks)

I also took out the bracket and installed the taller AMD stock fan with the copper core. With the slightly taller heatsink in place, the SSD now nicely lodges itself and rests between the side of the fan and the top of the case, resting on top of the rats nest of front panel wires etc, and held down by the top case. Not elegant, but it works. And temperatures, even under load, are now down to ~35-40C 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I like the idea of finding a use for these APU's. They seem like a great fit for older games, but benchmarks only test AAA games like Cyberpunk getting 15 fps. No one is playing at 15 fps that's ridiculous.

Reply 6 of 7, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For anything released after year 2000 it probably won’t have compatibility issues.
If we take away the nostalgia factor, it’s a great all-rounded gaming PC.

Reply 7 of 7, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The APU I'm using here, A8-5500 itself dates from 2012, and I'm using it to play games from ~2007, and getting 100+fps. So that feels pretty well balanced, really! The attraction of this particular one was being the final generation with official XP support.

Its a shame ITX didn't catch on with enthusiast market stuff any sooner - its so much easier to have many retro PCs when they're small!