VOGONS

First post, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lKHK0Xs.jpeg
NdHM2Y2.jpeg
5qkzNlQ.jpeg

More of a proof-of-concept on a test bench to confirm the idea works than an actual build just yet, this ugly monstrocity incorporates 2 different graphics cards and 3 different sound cards for the ultimate win98/winXP dualboot retro gaming system. The whole idea is based on the Asrock 939dual-sata2 motherboard, which uses the power of the ULi chipset to provide a full speed PCI Express slot as well as a full speed AGP slot. With that, Windows XP is using an Ati Radeon X1950 Pro (by Sapphire) and an X-Fi sound card (Auzentech HomeTheater HD). There's 2 copies of windows 98se, both using Nvidia FX 5900XT (by Gigabyte) for graphics, one using a Creative Audigy sound card, other one an Aureal Vortex 2 (Turtle Beach Montego 2). Only one gpu and only one sound card is enabled per OS, the rest disabled in device manager and no drivers installed, that way avoiding resource or driver conflicts. Multiboot is achieved via System Commander. DOSBox for DOS games, so ISA not necessary.

So yes, I spent the whole day yesterday setting this up and testing it, and it all works fine, no issues that I could spot. Next step would be to mount it in a suitable case, and upgrade some of the components. Obviously we can have more ram, theres only a single 512mb stick for simplicity, but with patchmem we can have 2gb ram here. With the Bhdd31 patch we can have several 2tb hard drives to store a full set of retro games. We can have a much faster CPU with the rare AM2CPU upgrade card, if I can find one. And finally, I have an idea on how I can squeeze a 4th sound card into the mix too, involving obtaining a pcie1x to dual legacy pci adapter. The sky is the limit 😀

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 1 of 11, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How exactly does this work? Do you have to disable certain hardware under Win98 for example and vice versa? I never tried anything like that so I have no idea.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 2 of 11, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, only one gpu and only one sound card is enabled on each OS, and the remaining cards are disabled in device manager, and do not have drivers installed. That way no conflicts. At least as far as I can see. And if this works for 3, should also work with 4 cards 😀

Reply 4 of 11, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Half-Saint wrote on 2024-03-11, 19:39:

This would also work with dual PCI/AGP cards, right?

well sure, though I am not aware of any dual AGP motherboards existing

Half-Saint wrote on 2024-03-11, 19:39:

What is your reasoning behind using 3 sound cards?

Well, the X-Fi is the best sound card for winXP, an Audigy 2 just doesnt cut it. The vortex 2 is the most interesting win98 sound card, for the games that support the A3D api. Then there are some games that support directsound3d/eax and are better played on 98 than XP, for example NFS High Stakes / Road Challenge, that can work on XP but the EAX effects are broken unless you run it on win98 with a creative card with vxd drivers. Hence the Audigy. No compromise here. I think with this set of cards I can probably cover 99% of games. Theres still some oddballs though

Reply 5 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you wanted you could drop dosbox and still have dos gaming on actual hardware.
Use Win98 to boot into dos mode and either use the official Vortex dos driver or the modified Audigy 2 ZS ones.

No real benefit over dosbox but as your trying to push things to the limit already!

Reply 6 of 11, by StriderTR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I considered playing with something like this a few years back, but ended up going a bit older with my hardware, and leaving games from the late 90's onward to my modern machine.

I built dedicated DOS/Win3.11 and Windows 95 machines. With the Win95 build keeping within my very limited space budget. 😜

The DOS build took the space an old AMD FX-8350 system used to occupy that I had running as a "server" for various things. I now use SFF/USFF/UCFF systems for my server needs.

Here: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/2024/02/a … s-3x-retro.html
And here: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/2023/03/m … -with-epia.html

My interest is sparked. I can't wait to see where this goes! 😀

Retro Blog: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/
Archive: https://archive.org/details/@theclassicgeek/
3D Things: https://www.thingiverse.com/classicgeek/collections

Reply 7 of 11, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2024-03-11, 23:27:

If you wanted you could drop dosbox and still have dos gaming on actual hardware.
Use Win98 to boot into dos mode and either use the official Vortex dos driver or the modified Audigy 2 ZS ones.

No real benefit over dosbox but as your trying to push things to the limit already!

Sure but neither card is great for DOS, while the emulated sb16 on dosbox is pretty good. Also can control the cpu speed in DOSBox to allow for speed sensitive games to work correctly. Guess theres also PCem that can emulate an awe32, tho dunno if an athlon 64 will be fast enough for PCem. However just realised, theres the issue with Roland MT32 and SC55, which can be emulated too, but would probably require a separate newer faster machine. And of course emulating the last 4:3 ratio consoles, the PS2, gamecube and og xbox, need way faster cpu than this. So sadly it seems a secondary machine is needed to cover absolutely every 4:3 game on a single setup. Could be one of those tiny ryzen apu boxes you can buy today, maybe can even find space inside the case of the main system to tuck it in

Reply 8 of 11, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice setup! Always love crazy multi-boot/multi-hardware setups. 😁

How are the video card outputs handled? Do you have both VGA and DVI going to the same monitor?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 9 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
God Of Gaming wrote on 2024-03-12, 09:15:
[..] Sure but neither card is great for DOS, while the emulated sb16 on dosbox is pretty good. Also can control the cpu speed in […]
Show full quote
chinny22 wrote on 2024-03-11, 23:27:

[..]
Sure but neither card is great for DOS, while the emulated sb16 on dosbox is pretty good. Also can control the cpu speed in DOSBox to allow for speed sensitive games to work correctly.
Guess theres also PCem that can emulate an awe32, tho dunno if an athlon 64 will be fast enough for PCem. [..]

Hi there, I don't know about an Athlon 64, but I once got an 486DX-50 emulation working at near full speed with an older PCem on an Athlon 64 X2.
Emulation of something slower (say, 486DX-33 or other CPU brand) or an SX model might be possible, thus. 😀

Attachments

• pcemw311.png
    Filename
    pcemw311.png
    File size
    52.41 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Almost at full speed - Emulating a quick 486 on an Athlon 64 X2 (2016)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 11, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-03-13, 01:29:

How are the video card outputs handled? Do you have both VGA and DVI going to the same monitor?

Well yes, here on the test bench vga and dvi both go to a dell 2007fp monitor and can just switch inputs with a button, however for an actual build I'd use one of my IBM C170 CRTs probably, so gonna have to think of some sort of VGA switch device

Reply 11 of 11, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2024-03-13, 01:52:

Hi there, I don't know about an Athlon 64, but I once got an 486DX-50 emulation working at near full speed with an older PCem on an Athlon 64 X2.
Emulation of something slower (say, 486DX-33 or other CPU brand) or an SX model might be possible, thus. 😀

I suppose I do have an Opteron 185 I could install, its the same chip as Athlon 64 X2 FX-60 minus the unlocked multiplier. However I'm concerned about installing a 110 watt cpu on this motherboard, the VRM doesn't look very impressive and probably gonna run hot? That's why I'd like to find an AM2CPU upgrade card, theres some nice efficient cpus for AM2 I could use