VOGONS

Reply 80 of 98, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In an effort to test and troubleshoot the Windows 3.11 audio issues, I decided to set up a standalone test bench using another DFI G7S620-N motherboard.

This way I can more easily experiment with things as I try different configurations.

DFI ITOX G7S620-N testbench.jpg
Filename
DFI ITOX G7S620-N testbench.jpg
File size
608.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I have an Orpheus II LT card I'm using for this setup. Since it's basically the same as the full Orpheus II but minus the GUS part, it should hopefully suffice.

So far I have installed DOS 6.22 + WFW 3.11, along with audio drivers. It's replicating the same audio lagging issue I have on my main setup. This at least rules out some of the non-audio related drivers (e.g. SVGA video, CD-ROM, etc.), since I don't have those installed yet.

But I still don't know what the main issue is. I may start playing with different audio settings (ports, DMA, etc.). Alternatively, I might try the regular Crystal drivers instead of the Orpheus II version.

DFI ITOX G7S620-N Orpheus II LT.jpg
Filename
DFI ITOX G7S620-N Orpheus II LT.jpg
File size
555.91 KiB
Views
File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 81 of 98, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man this is a great thread. Its very similar concept to my system, although mine is Socket 478. I really need to get mine back up and running.

Do you think this will ultimately cover the wide gamut of games DOS up to 98 (Even early XP?)

My system was a P4 3.06ghz with a FX 5900XT

PvsI3dZh.jpg

Reply 82 of 98, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote on 2024-04-03, 11:22:

Man this is a great thread. Its very similar concept to my system, although mine is Socket 478. I really need to get mine back up and running.

Do you think this will ultimately cover the wide gamut of games DOS up to 98 (Even early XP?)

My goal with this build is to cover 1993 to 2003. For DOS games that aren't speed sensitive, it does quite well. I haven't run into any major incompatibilities.

While I've done some initial testing of speed sensitive games and results are promising, I need to fully play through some of those games to know how well they'll work.

For Windows 98 and XP it's been rock solid based on initial testing/usage. I'll know more in the coming weeks and months as I put it through its paces.

My system was a P4 3.06ghz with a FX 5900XT

That looks like good specs for a similar build. Especially with the all important ISA slot(s) for DOS compatible sound cards. 😁

I'm using a slightly older GeForce 4, so not sure how they compare in terms of compatibility with the FX5900XT. I might try the latter at some point, since it would yield more performance headroom for XP.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 83 of 98, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-04-03, 21:01:

I'm using a slightly older GeForce 4, so not sure how they compare in terms of compatibility with the FX5900XT. I might try the latter at some point, since it would yield more performance headroom for XP.

Both cards are similar in terms of Win9x game compatibility. But early GeForce 4 Ti cards can use 30.82 drivers which are more suitable for Need for Speed games (especially High Stakes). Also, the text corruption is more pronounced on FX cards.

That said, FX cards are better for gaming at high resolutions like 1600x1200. They also have less of a performance penalty for cranking up AA and AF. Lastly, Radeon X800 cards have even more power, but it comes at the cost of some minor compatibility issues.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 84 of 98, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-04-03, 21:15:

Lastly, Radeon X800 cards have even more power, but it comes at the cost of some minor compatibility issues.

How is the X800 for DOS compatibility?

I have an X800 and haven't really decided what I'm going to use it for.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 85 of 98, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-04-03, 21:34:

How is the X800 for DOS compatibility?

I have an X800 and haven't really decided what I'm going to use it for.

I haven't used it in pure DOS a whole lot. The system where I have it isn't really geared toward that environment.

I would assume compatibility is similar to the other Radeon cards, which Gona has tested here.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 86 of 98, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-04-03, 21:43:

I would assume compatibility is similar to the other Radeon cards, which Gona has tested here.

So not as ideal as a GeForce4 in all likelihood.

I suppose I can always set up a testbench and run it through some tests...

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 87 of 98, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Windows 3.1 MS Arcade.png
Filename
Windows 3.1 MS Arcade.png
File size
5.66 KiB
Views
File license

I've been continuing to test audio under Windows 3.1 using MS Arcade.

I set up another test bench with a Socket 7 + Pentium 100. This was to hopefully rule out any speed sensitivity or other issues with the Pentium 4 setup. Unfortunately I still get the same audio lagging issues in MS Arcade.

Socket 7 testbench.jpg
Filename
Socket 7 testbench.jpg
File size
613.43 KiB
Views
File license
Orpheus I testbench.jpg
Filename
Orpheus I testbench.jpg
File size
548.93 KiB
Views
File license

I even tried an original Orpheus I for good measure, but the issue persists. Tried both the regular Crystal drivers and the modified Orpheus drivers. Even tried clean installs of both Windows 3.1 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11. Nothing has made a difference.

edited:

After some searching, it looks like this issue was reported back in 2022: Re: Orpheus Soundcard: a new DOS soundcard with SPDIF/OPL3/MPU support

Unfortunately doesn't look like there was any follow-up with a resolution.

edited part 2:

Just tested everything on a 486 DX2-66 setup and same results: system lag whenever audio plays. 🙁

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 88 of 98, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed the GUS PnP drivers for Windows 3.11. These drivers worked much better than the Crystal ones. No more system lagging / audio stuttering with games.

They did overwrite the MIDI map as noted by keropi in the Orpheus II thread. But otherwise, everything seems to work.

Windows 3.11 GUS PnP Installed.png
Filename
Windows 3.11 GUS PnP Installed.png
File size
11.29 KiB
Views
File license

I did have an initial issue with an audible tone/buzzing noise after installing them. This seems to be related to the Crystal Audio input. Changing the input to "Loop" fixes the problem and the buzzing goes away.

Not sure exactly what the issue is, since I don't have the same problem with other operating systems.

Windows 3.11 Crystal Audio Input.png
Filename
Windows 3.11 Crystal Audio Input.png
File size
14.09 KiB
Views
File license

In other Windows 3.11 news, I did run into a problem with SimAnt. The game crashes after a few minutes with a General Protection fault in the modified SVGA driver. I haven't experienced crashes with other games or programs yet, so I'm hoping this is an isolated issue.

I intend to install a number of Maxis games so we'll see how those perform.

Sim Games.jpg
Filename
Sim Games.jpg
File size
816.55 KiB
Views
File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 89 of 98, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed video and audio drivers for Windows NT 4.0.

For audio drivers I used the Crystal Audio 4237 NT 4.0 drivers. They seemed to install fine and basic audio playback is working. Haven't tried any games yet, but that will be the next thing to test.

Also still need to install an MPU-401 driver to try to get proper wavetable card support.

For video drivers I installed nVidia 43.45 drivers from the Vogons library. Also installed fine, but will need some games testing to ensure things are fully working.

NT4 Drivers installed.png
Filename
NT4 Drivers installed.png
File size
104.11 KiB
Views
File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 90 of 98, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Continued testing various Maxis games under Windows 3.11.

Speed sensitive is definitely a challenge with these games with the faster speed options enabled. Fortunately, they all contain options to run at slower speeds or even paused.

Windows 3.11 Sim Games Installed.png
Filename
Windows 3.11 Sim Games Installed.png
File size
39.09 KiB
Views
File license
Windows 3.11 SimCity.png
Filename
Windows 3.11 SimCity.png
File size
42.1 KiB
Views
File license

I'm going to continue to experiment with throttling options and see if I can strike a balance between performance and playability (at faster settings). This would be especially nice for SimTower which only has two speed settings: fast mode enabled or disabled.

I do have a 486 DX-33 setup alongside the Pentium 4, so I might try duplicating my Windows 3.11 install on the 486. This would give me a period correct benchmark for how quickly these games run in comparison.

Windows 3.11 SimTower.png
Filename
Windows 3.11 SimTower.png
File size
71.44 KiB
Views
File license

Played some more SimAnt and curiously did not see a video driver crash. I'm still not sure what triggered those previous crashes.

Windows 3.11 SimAnt.png
Filename
Windows 3.11 SimAnt.png
File size
28.39 KiB
Views
File license

On an unrelated note, I didn't realize the Windows 3.x version of SimEarth lacked audio support expect for PC speaker. Though I suppose that makes sense, since it's a Windows 3.0 game and that version of Windows lacks native sound support.

Windows 3.11 SimEarth.png
Filename
Windows 3.11 SimEarth.png
File size
26.83 KiB
Views
File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 91 of 98, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been doing some throttling and DOS games testing this past week.

I had previously have done extensive testing using the previous Prescott 2M processor (Pentium 4 650). But hadn't done much since replacing it with the Cedar Mill Pentium 4 651 (D0 stepping).

An issue the previous Prescott 2M had was depending on the throttling settings it would produce a coil whine sound. This naturally limited the options I could use in practice. However, the Cedar Mill is dead silent regardless of the settings used.

Pentum 4 651.jpg
Filename
Pentum 4 651.jpg
File size
656.47 KiB
Views
File license

The second thing I discovered is the range of multiplier options is greater with the Cedar Mill 651 processor. With the Prescott 2M I had two options: 14x or 17x.

This Cedar Mill processor supports a range from 12x through 17x. In combination with other throttling options, this gives more control over fine tuning relative performance.

CPUSpd Multiplier.png
Filename
CPUSpd Multiplier.png
File size
15.87 KiB
Views
File license

Finally there was the revelation that CPUSPD could disable both L1 and L2 cache at the same time. Previously I'd been using SETMUL to disable L1 cache only. Since the motherboard doesn't support disabling L2 cache via SETMUL, I just assumed I could only disable L1 cache.

With CPUSPD while I can't independently disable L2 cache, I can use it to disable both L1 & L2 cache at the same time. Incidently, the motherboard's BIOS also only supports enabling or disabling both caches at the same time. There are no independent options for L1 or L2.

CPUSpd Cache.png
Filename
CPUSpd Cache.png
File size
10.71 KiB
Views
File license

Disabling both L1 & L2 cache reduces performance to a lower end 486 approximating a 486DX-33 or a bit faster (benchmarks in next post).

I tested a number of games that have various issues when to run too fast: graphics issues, freezing/crashing, music issues, etc.

• Blackthorne
  • Day of the Tentacle
  • Dynablaster
  • Rise of the Dragon
  • Warcraft

All of these games appeared to work perfectly with L1 & L2 cache disabled.

The most notable was Blackthorne. It has an issue where music won't play back if the processor is too fast. With previous throttling options I could get in-game music to work, but not the music during the intro cutscene. By disabling both L1 & L2 cache, all music played back perfectly just how it runs on my real 486.

My original goal for this build was to cover speed-insensitive DOS gaming. But if this system can reliably emulate an early 486, it extends its usefulness for retro gaming.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2024-04-20, 16:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 92 of 98, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've done some basic benchmarking of various throttling options and compared these to a real 486 DX-33 and 386 DX-40.

I haven't tried all the permutations yet, but wanted to get a rough idea of how scalable South Bridge and multiplier settings are.

Between the eight South Bridge settings (1 to 8 ) and six multiplier settings (12x to 17x), there are a total of 48 combinations available. Adding in three cache states (both enabled, L1 disabled, both disabled), increases the total combinations to 144.

The benchmarks are also not a perfect approximation of the real hardware. I imagine differences in graphics pipeline also has an impact on the final numbers.

3D Bench 1.0.png
Filename
3D Bench 1.0.png
File size
14.12 KiB
Views
File license
PC Player Bench 320x200.png
Filename
PC Player Bench 320x200.png
File size
15.12 KiB
Views
File license
Doom (max detail).png
Filename
Doom (max detail).png
File size
13.22 KiB
Views
File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 93 of 98, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did some more benchmarking at the other end of the spectrum, running 3DMark2001 SE and 3DMark03 under Windows XP.

The 3DMark03 results were predictably poor, especially since it couldn't run all the tests due to lack of Shader Model 2.0.

At some point I need to test some later AGP cards to see how they would compare.

3DMark01 SE WinXP.PNG
Filename
3DMark01 SE WinXP.PNG
File size
532.17 KiB
Views
File license
3DMark03 WinXP.PNG
Filename
3DMark03 WinXP.PNG
File size
437.03 KiB
Views
File license
3DMark Benchmarks.png
Filename
3DMark Benchmarks.png
File size
12.91 KiB
Views
File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 94 of 98, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-03-18, 13:34:
Attempted to install Windows NT 4.0. Unfortunately it spontaneously rebooted just after loading CD-ROM drivers. The final image […]
Show full quote

Attempted to install Windows NT 4.0. Unfortunately it spontaneously rebooted just after loading CD-ROM drivers. The final image before rebooting was this lovely series of stripes.

NT4 Install Attempt.jpg

I recorded a video of what happened available here: Windows NT 4.0 install fail

I tried disabling hyperthreading and L1/L2 cache, but that didn't change anything. From what I've researched, it seems NT 4.0 has difficulties installing on later Pentium 4 systems.

I may have to try installing on a different platform and then migrating to this system.

I'd try the single CPU kernel to start with. Iirc this can be chosen in the f8 menu or is part of safe mode.
Also, I'd probably try it with no other cards installed.
Assuming that works, I'd add sp6 before trying the multicore kernel.
Worth also playing with those bios settings like "mps version" 1.1/1.4

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 95 of 98, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
myne wrote on 2024-04-22, 02:53:
I'd try the single CPU kernel to start with. Iirc this can be chosen in the f8 menu or is part of safe mode. Also, I'd probably […]
Show full quote

I'd try the single CPU kernel to start with. Iirc this can be chosen in the f8 menu or is part of safe mode.
Also, I'd probably try it with no other cards installed.
Assuming that works, I'd add sp6 before trying the multicore kernel.
Worth also playing with those bios settings like "mps version" 1.1/1.4

I managed to solve this previously with a Max CPUID BIOS setting: Re: Pentium 4 (LGA775 / i865) Multi-OS Build Log (DOS/3.11/95/NT/98/Me/2k/XP)

After which NT 4.0 installed without any issue. I also installed the SP6 service pack before switching the CPUID setting back in the BIOS.

I haven't done much with NT 4.0 yet, but I did install graphics and sound drivers and those seemed to work fine.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 96 of 98, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did some more DOS benchmarking to get a better idea of how CPUSPD settings affect system performance.

L1 and L2 cache were enabled for these benchmarks. EMM386 was enabled and FASTVID was disabled.

First up is a series of benchmarks using 3DBench 1.0c. I used CPUSPD to set both throttle (ACPI) and multiplier settings. The throttle settings on this board range from 1 to 8. There are 6 multiplier settings (12x to 17x).

3D Bench 1.0c full cache.png
Filename
3D Bench 1.0c full cache.png
File size
20.11 KiB
Views
File license

Changing the throttle settings created a larger step decrease in performance. Changing the multiplier settings created a more granular decrease for each throttle setting. For the most part this resulted in a relatively smooth downward trend. There is a bit more of a gap between throttle settings as performance gets lower.

However, this can also be further adjusted by disabling L1 cache. For example with L1 cache disabled and throttle of 2, I can get a range of FPS from 88.5 to 95.9 (12x to 17x multiplier). This fills in some of the gaps.

Next up are some Doom benchmarks. I haven't done a full 48 runs of Doom since it takes much longer to run that benchmark. However I included two charts, one showing decrease in throttle performance (17x multiplier) and the other showing effect of multiplier on performance (throttle set to 8 ).

Doom (high detail) - throttle.png
Filename
Doom (high detail) - throttle.png
File size
15.87 KiB
Views
File license
Doom (high detail) - multiplier.png
Filename
Doom (high detail) - multiplier.png
File size
12.88 KiB
Views
File license

Changing the multiplier has far less impact on performance for each throttle step than it does on 3D Bench. While changing throttle settings do result in a relatively linear downward trend.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 97 of 98, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another round of benchmarks, this time testing the on demand clock modulation (ODCM) settings. EMM386 was again enabled, while FASTVID was disabled.

With ODCM the frame rates don't decrease as much as the ACPI throttle settings, and also don't exhibit the same linear drop. There was also a more significant gap between ODCM setting 2 versus 1.

Multiplier settings also behaved differently. With the ACPI throttling, reducing multiplier had progressively less of an effect as the throttle setting decreased. Whereas with ODCM the opposite was the case and multiplier settings had a progressively greater effect on performance.

3D Bench 1.0c:

3D Bench 1.0c (ODCM).png
Filename
3D Bench 1.0c (ODCM).png
File size
22.54 KiB
Views
File license

Doom (high detail) (17x multiplier):

Doom (high detail) - ODCM.png
Filename
Doom (high detail) - ODCM.png
File size
16.71 KiB
Views
File license

3D Bench 1.0c - ODCM vs ACPI (17x multiplier):

3D Bench 1.0c - ODCM and ACPI.png
Filename
3D Bench 1.0c - ODCM and ACPI.png
File size
24.36 KiB
Views
File license

Doom (high detail) - ODCM vs ACPI (17x multiplier):

Doom (high detail) - ODCM and ACPI.png
Filename
Doom (high detail) - ODCM and ACPI.png
File size
22.96 KiB
Views
File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 98 of 98, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did some testing of some speed sensitive games including Ultima VII, Titus the Fox, and Wing Commander.

Ultima VII is notorious for re-enabling a disabled cache. However, I found that it doesn't seem to do that on this system when I disable both L1 & L2 cache with CPUSPD.

With both caches disabled and the multiplier set to 12x, it runs a bit faster than my 486 DX-33. I'd estimate it's performing similar to a 486 DX-40.

Ultima VII - Pentium 4 (2).jpg
Filename
Ultima VII - Pentium 4 (2).jpg
File size
725.38 KiB
Views
File license

It is possible to run it closer to 486 DX-33 speeds by setting either ODCM or ACPI throttling to 7. However, I noticed this introduces some music slowdown during the earthquake (screen shake effect).

Another option might be to tweak the game with the Ultima VII frame limited patch, but I haven't tried that yet.

Speaking of the earthquake, I did run into a GPU compatibility issue regarding that effect. With a GeForce2 or GeForce 3, the effect works fine. However, with a GeForce4 or GeForceFX, the screen shake causes the game to freeze.

After some poking around, I found a TSR called QFIX: Re: Ultima VII Earthquake effect (screen shaking)

It replaces the vertical screen shaking with a horizontal screen shake. It was apparently designed so Ultima VII could run on Riva 128 cards. But it also works with the GeForce4 and FX cards I tested.

Titus the Fox - Pentium 4.jpg
Filename
Titus the Fox - Pentium 4.jpg
File size
580.22 KiB
Views
File license

In testing Titus the Fox, music playback is wonky with no throttling. Disabling L1 & L2 cache fixed that problem and the game seemed to play and sound fine.

I compared it to my 486 DX-33 and couldn't hear any difference.

Finally, I tested Wing Commander.

Wing Commander - Pentium 4.jpg
Filename
Wing Commander - Pentium 4.jpg
File size
443.85 KiB
Views
File license

I do have a confession: I've never actually played Wing Commander before. I don't have a good sense of how fast it should normally run, though the 386 DX-33 seems most recommended.

To compare in-game speeds, I tried it on my 486 DX-33 with turbo off (approximates a 386 DX-33) and also compared the speed to Phil's Wing Commander 386 DX-33 video.

With the Pentium 4, I could approximate the same speed by disabling L1 & L2 cache, setting either ODCM or ACPI throttling to 4 and then tweaking the multiplier. 14x or 15x seemed to give a good approximation of 386 DX-33 speeds.

Using ODCM or ACPI throttling did make the mouse move slower on a couple screens, but didn't seem to otherwise affect gameplay. I'll probably have to play it a lot more to confirm and especially see how it plays compared to my de-turbo'd 486.

I also did some 3D Bench scores with both ODCM and ACPI set to 4 and going through various multiplier settings.

3D Bench 1.0 - ODCM (4) and ACPI (4).png
Filename
3D Bench 1.0 - ODCM (4) and ACPI (4).png
File size
20.14 KiB
Views
File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build