VOGONS

First post, by ettin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey,

quick question,

I have a Roland Mt 32 and a 486 DX4 100 with a Sound Blaster 16 (CT1740)

Can someone tell me what cable I need?

Joystick-Midi yes?

Do I also need a breakout box?

cheers!

Reply 1 of 57, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ettin wrote:

Can someone tell me what cable I need?
Joystick-Midi yes?
Do I also need a breakout box?

A simple MIDI cable for the joystick port will do.
Breakout boxes are only needed for more sophisticated MIDI interfaces.

Reply 4 of 57, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use the L/R mono outputs. They're standard 5.5mm jack outputs. With a splitter and some creative use of extension/conversion cables, you can make it into a 3.5mm stereo jack.

MIDI out only passes the raw MIDI data along to another MIDI instrument.

And yes, that is the right cable. And no, you won't need any drivers for it.

Reply 6 of 57, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ettin wrote:

So the output ill be getting is mono?

am I look for a cable with two 5.5mm male connectors and two 3.5mm RCA male connectors on the other end?

No, stereo.

To get the audio output of the MT-32 which uses the older RCA 1/4" phono jacks for which you would need something like the HOSA CMP-159 Mini to 1/4" Phone Stereo 10ft cable to connect your Roland MT-32 to another one of your PC mini-jack 1/8" audio inputs.

dvwjr

Reply 8 of 57, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It outputs a left channel and a right channel using separate 5.5mm jacks. One of them corresponds to the white RCA phono jack and the other to the red one.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 9 of 57, by ettin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

Im new to all this got a few more questions.

My roland arrived a few days ago...

We just moved house a few weeks ago and where the computers are there are no power points.

Its a bit of a mess right now. and ive got a few powerboards with surge protectors and extension cords all over the place running 3 PCs.

Anyway I plugged the roland into one of the powerboards. Started running lands of lore .... and aswell as the incredible roland sounds i was hearing. I got a whole lot of voltage noises coming through the speakers ...then everything went nuts. computers powered off. then the whole side of the room.....power went off...

When i unplug one of the powerboards. its all good. i dont have a problem...

Also, im using the MONO OUTPUT L and R connections in the back of the roland ...... two 6.5mm connections into two RCA stereo connections.
I have it plugged into a stereo/hifi system, and im only getting one channel, like the left is working and not the right.

any ideas?

Is it because the output says mono ? and im using a stereo system?

Reply 12 of 57, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

AC Power ? that part you can't wire wrong. The DC part I don't know. Didn't know it was possible to wire that wrong

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 57, by ettin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix AC Power ? that part you can't wire wrong. The DC part I don't know. Didn't know it was possible to wire that wrong

So yesterday, Im playing Lands of Lore on my 486, the MT-32 seems to be working fine. I crash back to MS-DOS prompt, and leave the 486 and roland on......

So i walk away....

Heard a terrible noise come out of the speakers i have connected to the Roland. came back ..roland was off. and the 9Volt 1000 ma power adapter was REALLY hot and there was a terrible smell coming from it.

Power Adapter Dead.

Dodgey Electrics/Powerpoints in this house? Dodgey Power adapter or something else?

Reply 14 of 57, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might very well have been a flaky adapter. The original power adapter (a Roland ACB-nnn, I think) supplies only 650mA as it says on the back of the unit. It can become quite warm, but shouldn't burn out.

Reply 15 of 57, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Roland MT-32 that I bid and won on eBay has a Roland ACB-120 DC power supply (1200mA @9V DC). The Roland MT-32 docs indicates that power consumption is 650mA @9V DC. The Roland ACB-120 DC-connector has its polarity oriented differently than most other power-supplies with (+) sleeve, (-) tip. Most other DC power supplies have (-) sleeve, (+) tip.

Be careful...

dvwjr

Reply 16 of 57, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dvwjr wrote:

The Roland MT-32 that I bid and won on eBay has a Roland ACB-120 DC power supply (1200mA @9V DC). The Roland MT-32 docs indicates that power consumption is 650mA @9V DC. The Roland ACB-120 DC-connector has its polarity oriented differently than most other power-supplies with (+) sleeve, (-) tip. Most other DC power supplies have (-) sleeve, (+) tip.

Be careful...

dvwjr

That particular power supply can handle most Roland devices, including the '32. I use one myself for my '32 (MT or CM).

Reply 17 of 57, by acefox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I, too, have just received a Roland MT-32 from eBay, and am wondering how best to connect it to my PC, albeit in my case I want to connect it to a P4 running DosBox on Windows XP.

Connecting MT-32 with a MIDI-USB cable for DosBox?

The MIDI-joystick cable mentioned in this thread seems like it would work with my SB Live! Value card which has a MIDI/joystick port. But I was also wondering if using a MIDI-to-USB converter cable directly to my PC might be a better option? And if so, what would I need to do to get the MIDI to be transmitted through the USB port?[/url]

Reply 18 of 57, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

But I was also wondering if using a MIDI-to-USB converter cable directly to my PC might be a better option? And if so, what would I need to do to get the MIDI to be transmitted through the USB port?

uhm, you'd need a midi-to-usb converter and the midi cable for connecting the mt32 to the converter.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper