VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by acefox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another newb question for you all:

I just got a Roland MT-32 off eBay, and am wondering what I need to connect it to P4 PC with a SB Live! Value card. The card has a joystick port that doubles as MIDI MPU-401 port. Do I have to connect the Roland MT-32 to the SB Live! Value card directly using some type of MIDI-gameport cable? If so, can anyone direct me to the specs on one?

On the otherhand, is there a way I can connect the MT-32 using a MIDI-USB cable? If so, then what else is required in order to send the MPU-401 MIDI through the USB? I'm specifically interested in getting this set up through DosBox.

Reply 1 of 3, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The USB MIDI interface will be of more use because it will work on any computer with a USB port, not just one with a Sound Blaster. It should work fine with Dosbox as long as you set the Microsoft MIDI Mapper to the USB MIDI Interface instead of SB Live! Synth or MS Software Synth. You can do this from Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices on Windows XP for example.

The gameport adapter is probably the cheaper alternative, though.

I've got a Roland CM-32 and a Sound Blaster Live!, but I have the SB front panel which includes MIDI ports.

edit: In addition to the USB interface you obviously also need a MIDI cable.

Reply 2 of 3, by acefox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The USB MIDI interface will be of more use because it will work on any computer with a USB port, not just one with a Sound Blast […]
Show full quote

The USB MIDI interface will be of more use because it will work on any computer with a USB port, not just one with a Sound Blaster. It should work fine with Dosbox as long as you set the Microsoft MIDI Mapper to the USB MIDI Interface instead of SB Live! Synth or MS Software Synth. You can do this from Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices on Windows XP for example.

The gameport adapter is probably the cheaper alternative, though.

I've got a Roland CM-32 and a Sound Blaster Live!, but I have the SB front panel which includes MIDI ports.

edit: In addition to the USB interface you obviously also need a MIDI cable.

Thanks, ripa! That's very helpful. Can the MS MIDI Mapper send Roland MIDI as well as General MIDI through USB? Sorry if this question doesn't make any sense- I really don't know much about MIDI other than that Roland and General MIDI are somewhat different formats.

Reply 3 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

midi is midi. The MS Midi wrapper is just when you go into the system control to the audio options of your Windows you have to choose the MIDI device used by Windows. If you attach the MT32 to your creative baord you use one of the SB midi devices ("one of" because there will be typically more than one SB device present). If you buy an USB converter than you have to select that one.

Maybe someone can attach this thread to the other thread in the MT32 forum or other way around...