VOGONS

486->MIDI to USB->Laptop->MUNT

Topic actions

First post, by Ganz-HUNGARY

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
That would be a question that is home to a MPU-401 compatible sound card (Addonics card w / Yamaha OPL3-SA2 chip, or an SB-Awe64), and if my computer would be a MIDI input, i can use my laptop laptop, like a real MT-32 if the Munt is can emulate it from my old PC. So what should this experiment?
Because an MT-32 is not it fall sky reflecting price... (a few hundred dollars...) 🤑 And a MIDI-USB converter is JUST about 20$.
Thanx.

Reply 1 of 41, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it should. Munt works regrdless of how you feed it with MIDI messages. And it's easy to setup. Specifically, under Windows mt32emu-qt has an option to open any input Windows MIDI port and get messages out there.

Reply 2 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just tried this and not having much luck.

I have a USB to MIDI adapter, which works with DOSBox and my Roland units.

When using the input from a Roland MPU401 AT interface, MUNT sometimes produces sound (notes are off though), but usually is mute. Quite odd.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 41, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, it's quite possible. I have two USB-MIDI cables, MIDITECH MIDILINK-MINI and one unbranded. The latter one is about unbuffered.

MIDITECH's one has buffer of ~128 bytes. So, basically, both are unusable under Windows with the default class-compliant driver. Unbranded cable is unable to send sysexes at all as the third byte and further are stripped from the USB packet by the driver. Surprisingly, but MIDITECH's cable also screws sysexes of length > 128 bytes while sending. But it works perfectly on _receiving_ any sysexes. The unbranded cable
completely sucks at receiving sysexes as it is unbuffered.

But under Ubuntu the unbranded cable works just fine (I mean sending sysexes of course, heh). So, I write a quick driver for Windows using libusb to emulate such behaviour. Now, the unbranded cable sends sysexes just fine but _cannot_ receive sysexes at all. Your case, Mau1wurf1977, could be very similar.

Well, to close this cheap&screwed-USB-MIDI-cable-related-issue. I also wrote sysex splitter (for Windows) which receives MIDI events and re-sends them to the destination MIDI port splitting large sysexes into several small ones (of course, in MT-32 sysex format only). So now, both my cables works more or less.

If someone wants to look at the stuff mentioned:
https://github.com/sergm/munt_devel/tree/master/MIDI_stuff

Reply 4 of 41, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice!

Prior to VDMSound and DOSBox, I wanted to try this to get soundfont MIDI for DOS games. I never had the cables for it, though, until I had computers powerful enough to emulate everything at once.

For what it's worth, the real MT-32 hardware can be touchy with SysEx over USB MIDI cables as well. I have an E-MU (Creative) Xmidi 1x1 Tab cable that causes SysEx checksum errors on my MT-32 (regardless of whether I use Microsoft's class-compliant driver or Creative/E-MU's), but my old generation M-Audio MIDIsport Uno (non-class-compliant) works fine.

Reply 6 of 41, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, but I doubt this solves the problem with receiving sysexes using unbuffered cable, as the topic says.

Anyway, this hack fails for me 🙁 Neither under WinXP nor Win7. Not even if I choose Roland 😀 From a quick look at the .inf, all the three USB-MIDI options lead to installing the very same class-compliant driver. Maybe that guy just had troubles with his setup and reinstalling the driver helped him... 😒

Reply 7 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still fighting with this issue.

I'm thinking that maybe the input of my USB device is faulty. Because it received a continues signal as soon as the Pentium PC is turned on (MPU401AT interface).

MIDI-OX tells me it's RT.

But when I run a game, the signal LED on the USB adapter does flash, but MIDI-OX doesn't receive anything. I have changed the driver to Yamaha USB, it didn't make a difference.

MIDI out is flawless though.

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I went ahead and ordered A Roland UM-One MKII and it arrived today. It "just works". The 64bit W7 driver is for download from Roland.

In Munt select the UM-One as Midi port, connect the MIDI cable from your vintage PC and it works flawless.

I will use this setup for future MUNT vs. real hardware comparison videos 😁

My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 41, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sergm wrote:

Anyway, this hack fails for me 🙁 Neither under WinXP nor Win7. Not even if I choose Roland 😀 From a quick look at the .inf, all the three USB-MIDI options lead to installing the very same class-compliant driver. Maybe that guy just had troubles with his setup and reinstalling the driver helped him... 😒

Maybe installing Roland UM-ONE mkII drivers somehow affected that. It is possible that guy bought Roland UM-ONE mkII and tried first. Later he could try the cheap one immediately with yamaha driver and it worked without trying it again with default driver.

Reply 13 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fantasma wrote:

Great! Do you think it could be done without an MPU401, like for example, through the gameport of an SB AWE 64?

With many games, but not all of them.

While the AWE64 does have a MPU401 interface, it's UART mode and not intelligent, which quite a few games require.

Lucasarts games will work fine, Sierra and Origin games will not.

My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 41, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fantasma wrote:

Nice, so how would one connect the UM-ONE to the SB gameport? Is there some kind of gameport > female midi adapter?

You would need to use a gameport-MIDI adapter on the SB end, and a USB-MIDI adapter on the Munt PC end.

My adapters all have male MIDI DIN connectors on them (and so does the UM-ONE), so I don't know how I'd connect them together.

Reply 17 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fantasma wrote:

Nice, so how would one connect the UM-ONE to the SB gameport? Is there some kind of gameport > female midi adapter?

That's a good point!

For my tests I was using the MIDI through output on a MT-32.

You can also use a MIDI thru splitter device. One in, 3 out. One of those.

They are better because the MIDI thru ports on the Roland units will add a delay. Currently I have three units daisy chained, so I will be definitely getting a proper MIDI splitter.

My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 41, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In an ideal world, whatever-to-MIDI interfaces ought to have female MIDI DIN jacks just like most other MIDI equipment, so that you can use male-to-male cables to hook everything up. Unfortunately the market demand is for them to have male connectors instead, so that consumers don't have to buy an extra cable in order to connect to a device with a female jack.

Reply 19 of 41, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was researching into those Sound Blaster cards with I/O drives, like the X-Fi Platinum; instead of using a MIDI to USB cable, I was thinking of this setup: AWE64 > Gameport to DIN midi cable > I/O drive > MUNT.

Do you guys think it would work? I already have the cable, and I think I'd rather invest into the X-Fi rather than the other cable.