VOGONS

First post, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is everyones take on these? I bought one from Amazon (was the el cheapo $6 one) and while I was able to get my SC-55 mkII working, it seemed to play wrong instruments on some songs, most noticable in Doom's E1M1. I was thinking of investing in the Roland UM mkII USB dongle to see if it corrected the issue.

Reply 2 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using one of those cheap ones for a couple of years now. No issues so far, including transmitting the "intelligent" mode from within Dosbox to the MT-32. I also use it with my CM-500. I ordered another of this USB-to-MIDI adapter-cable recently - $4.40 including shipping from HK.

8502364808_211d0e7253_o.jpg

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 12, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:
I'm using one of those cheap ones for a couple of years now. No issues so far, including transmitting the "intelligent" mode fro […]
Show full quote

I'm using one of those cheap ones for a couple of years now. No issues so far, including transmitting the "intelligent" mode from within Dosbox to the MT-32. I also use it with my CM-500. I ordered another of this USB-to-MIDI adapter-cable recently - $4.40 including shipping from HK.

8502364808_211d0e7253_o.jpg

That is the same one I ordered from Amazon that I'm having issues with. I'll try to make a recording so you can see what I'm talking about.

::Edit::

I've recorded the issue I'm having with wrong notes/instruments -- here is a sample of Doom E1M1 played through that same USB to MIDI adapter with my Roland SC-55 MKII. This is a video someone did that demonstrates what its "supposed" to sound like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=316i0uV32WE

I tested the Roland on my Win98 box with a SB16 CT2290 and the Roland MIDI/gameport dongle and the SC-55 MKII sounds perfect playing E1M1 in actual Vanilla Doom.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 12, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen videos with this cable (I think it is the same) where everything is fine, compare here. It may be that just your individual one is faulty, can always happen with these cheap ones...

Reply 5 of 12, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

I've seen videos with this cable (I think it is the same) where everything is fine, compare here. It may be that just your individual one is faulty, can always happen with these cheap ones...

Sounds SO awesome! 😀

You may be right though; I think mine is faulty -- I'm going to return it and spend some extra $ on a Roland UM-ONE mkII. I really don't feel like potentially going through a few of these $6 models until a good one shows up.

Reply 6 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

was just wondering, maybe some other usb devices are interfering. Maybe try disconnecting as much other usb devices as possible (at least for the moment of playing) and also try connecting midi cable to other usb hubs.

btw does it work with windows 8?

Reply 7 of 12, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

was just wondering, maybe some other usb devices are interfering. Maybe try disconnecting as much other usb devices as possible (at least for the moment of playing) and also try connecting midi cable to other usb hubs.

btw does it work with windows 8?

I have two solutions here to the missing/incorrect note issue with the el cheapo model.

1) Picked up a Roland UM-ONE mkII and it works perfectly.

2) Change the default driver of the el cheapo to "Yamaha USB-MIDI" and it works great!

Regarding Windows 8, I know the Roland has drivers for it; the box even says its Windows 8 compatibility.

Reply 8 of 12, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not all USB to MIDI adapters are created the same it seems. My MIDI keyboard (which has a pass thru function to its 5-pin DIN jack) doesn't require any additional drivers, it uses a generic Windows and OS X class drivers.

Reply 9 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hudson187 wrote:

2) Change the default driver of the el cheapo to "Yamaha USB-MIDI" and it works great!

That's great news!
"Yamaha USB-MIDI" driver is available in Winxp, vista and 7.
Can anyone verify it is still available in Win8?

Reply 12 of 12, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow... those cheap MIDI cables are far worse than I thought. Mine fails completely to interface with Windows XP. It just gets detected as an "USB Audio Device" and that's it, no Yamaha MIDI USB drivers or anything to choose from, just some game port stuff. On 7 it works but seems to have problems with transfering some of the Sysex messages. How can they screw up on something this simple 😵