VOGONS

MT-32 Emulator and DOSBox Problems

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Olaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay. I'm going to ask this at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot. I've been working on this for hours now and I just can't get it to work. Here's the problem.

I have installed the drivers as instructed on the download site. I have MIDI music playback set to "MT-32 Synth Emulator". I've tried listening to the Roland MT-32 tunes on http://queststudios.com and they don't sound right. I can't think of how to explain it. I hear things like drum beats and such, but it sounds like some instruments may be missing and others are off key. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing (which is the most likely explanation). I've been grabbing the files that say that the SysEx patch bank is embedded. Is there something else I need to do in order to listen to these properly?

I've also had some problems running the DOSBox version that is included on the MT-32 Emulator download site. I have downloaded all of the DLLs it has asked for:
SDL.DLL: 1.2.6.0
SDL_NET.DLL: 1.2.5.0
MSVCP70.DLL: 7.0.9064.0
MSVCR70.DLL: 7.0.9064.0

I can repeat the problem. I'm trying to play King's Quest IV in MT-32 mode. I can run it in the other version of DOSBox just fine in Adlib or MT-32 mode. I can run it in the MT-32 version of DOSBox if I have the game set for Adlib... but when I try to use the MT-32 DOSBox and have the game configured for MT-32, it crashes just after I try to start the game. I get an error message that says "dosbox.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." It's one of those "Please tell Microsoft about this problem" error messages with "Send Error Report" and "Don't Send" buttons. When I click to see what the error report contains, it says it will send the file I have attatched to this message. Of course, I choose not to send the report.

I must be doing something wrong! Can someone please help me?

Here's my system info:
Processor: 1.4 GH Athlon
Motherboard: ABit K7-Raid
Memory: 256 MB RAM (1 256 MB DDR. I usually have 512 MB total, but one 256 MB DDR went bad about a week ago and I'm waiting for it to be replaced).
Sound card: Sound Blaster Live! PCI
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

Thanks!

Olaf

Attachments

• Filename
    appcompat.txt
    File size
    8.15 KiB
    Downloads
    341 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 48, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for your problems getting the MT-32 emulator to work. Some time this week I intend to post the source code. When I do hopefully it'll become apparent what's going on. Have you been able to get the MT-32 emulator running before?

Reply 2 of 48, by Olaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're providing an excellent service to the community! So please don't apologize! 😁

To answer your question, I'm a total newbie to the MT-32 emulator. I found out about DOSBox about a week ago and have been loving it! Its nice to be able to play all of those old games again! It was only a couple days ago that I discovered that there's an MT-32 Emulator. I remember how good those games sound with that device! Totally awesome!

I tried installing it on my friend's computer that is running Windows 2000 and I'm getting the same results with the midi files from Quest Studios. DOSBox runs fine on this machine except for when I run a game configured for the MT-32 with the MT-32 emulator running. I get "dosbox.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." I have no clue where this error log is located, but I'm guessing that it contains the same info as the attachment in my first post. I'm sure it's something stupid I'm doing wrong.

Reply 3 of 48, by Kari Salminen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hiya all,
I've tried running the latest MT-32 version of the Dosbox
(2004-01-18) and am having similar problems.

Here are the dll-versions I'm using:

curses.dll 2.4.0.0
msvcp70.dll 7.0.9064.0
msvcr70.dll 7.0.9466.0
sdl.dll 1.2.5.0
sdl_net.dll 1.2.4.0

I've tried running Monkey Island 1 and 2, Police Quest II
and Conquest of The Camelot. All others except Monkey Island 1 crash
the Dosbox ("Dosbox has generated errors and will be closed" etc).
Monkey Island 1 runs ok (I've noticed the vertical stretching too :).
Sounds ok at the moment, pretty promisingly good actually (The weak
bass is quite noticeable, but that's noted in the "Some known issues that
remain"-part on canadacow's site).

All the best to you canadacow... this really is a great project. Let's just
hope that the project won't be brought down with legal stuff anymore
(Knocks wood).

---
Kari Salminen

Reply 4 of 48, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh... my latest changes were supposed to fix memory leaks and crashes.. anyway, the versions of the DLL's I use are:

curses.dll 2.4.0.0
msvcp70.dll 7.0.9466.0
msvcr70.dll 7.0.9466.0
sdl.dll 1.2.6.0
sdl_net.dll 1.2.5.0

Though I doubt its the version that's causing the crashes. I changed the waveforms.raw file in this later version and its much larger than the one in the previous versions. Check for rogue copies of the old one in your path. This may be why its crashing.

Reply 5 of 48, by Kari Salminen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did have an old waveforms.raw in the path C:\WINNT\system32 but I
removed it but it didn't help... still crashing stuff 😦. I tried Space
Quest III, Quest For Glory 1 (EGA) and Monkey Island 2 after removing the
old file from the path (I do have the new one in the directory where I run
Dosbox 😉) but they all crashed. Monkey Island 1 did work as before.

---
Kari Salminen

Reply 7 of 48, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something for canadacow:

When trying to run GK1 or LSL3, DOSBox is failing with the following error:

00:00:27.680: First chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in "c:\games\dosbox-0.60\DOSBOX.EXE" at address 0x00435931 by thread 1.
00:00:27.680: Second chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in "c:\games\dosbox-0.60\DOSBOX.EXE" at address 0x00435931 by thread 1.

Hopefully the address will map back to something meaningful 😀
It's the latest releasem I'd also downloaded the latest versions of the SDL DLLs and removed the old copy of the .raw file - replacing it (in System32 with the new large one).

Reply 8 of 48, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm getting the same problem everyone else in this thread is having. I have the same DLL versions canadacow has, a clean install of the latest DOSBox MT-32 emu (dated 2004.01.17), and then just to be on the safe side I uninstalled the windows driver... no effect.

Reply 10 of 48, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm having a very difficult time replicating this error. On all the computers I've had the opportunity to test it on, the emulator runs without crashes. Running any of the listed games I have been unable to get DosBox to crash. This is indeed a very odd error. Is there anyway someone could post screen captures or a description of the very point where DosBox crashes runs any of those games?

Update:
I have been able to get DosBox to crash. If any of the necessary files are missing, DosBox will crash when a game that uses the MT-32 is started. In the DosBox directory, make sure the following files are present:

dosbox.exe 495,616 bytes
drumpat.rom 2,566 bytes
patchlog.cfg 1,633 bytes
Preset1.syx 18,555 bytes
Preset2.syx 18,525 bytes
waveforms.raw 1,410,000 bytes
(All the necessary dll files... curses.dll, sdl.dll, sdl_net.dll, zlib.dll, etc)
MT32_PCM.ROM 524,288 bytes (this is the ROM file I can't distribute. If you don't have this file, I can't help you)

Reply 12 of 48, by Kari Salminen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,
now I feel so stupid. How could I have not put the MT32_PCM.ROM
at all in the directory I ran Dosbox from (I've run older versions of the
emulator so this isn't my first time trying the emulator). It's pretty weird
that Monkey Island 1 did work at all. I had the MT32_PCM.ROM in
C:\WINNT\system32\ but not in the directory I ran Dosbox in... well, good
that it's fixed now 😀

BTW the accordion is still off tune in Monkey Island 2. See my post
Bug(s) in the 2003-12-10 release (Dosbox)
Otherwise sounds great... although jerky, but that's just my processor
saying "I need more power" 😉

And yeah, thanks Canadacow for helping out with such a stupid mistake
on my part 😉

---
Kari Salminen

Reply 13 of 48, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

canadacow,
please test dosbox version of emulator with The Lost vikings and Raiden.
Both crash dosbox at some point, Raiden during the intro and Lost Vikings
right after intro is played. It doesn't happen when mt32 is not selected.
This was also problem in previous versions of mt32 emu.

Reply 14 of 48, by FingerSoup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After securing an MT-32 rom, I cannot get DosBox MT32 emulator to run... the driver works (with major sound bugs in SQ3, but I'm guessing that is expected) and I wish to try in Dosbox. What is the process for installing, if I already have DosBox 0.60?

Do you have complete instructions for compiling? (I have MS VS.net 2003 from school - MS Acedemic alliance rawks!)

Reply 16 of 48, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've checked the version and size of all relevant files, and DOSBox still crashes. The error message I get is this:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application."

Canadacow, is there any chance you could just include SDL_net.dll and any other libraries needed (the versions that you're using that you know work) in the ZIP archive on your site? Isn't that sorta customary for distributing binaries?

Reply 19 of 48, by FingerSoup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, this site is advertized on TechTV in Canada, so I guess it's somewhat safe to post here... http://www.the-underdogs.org has both games. It's an abandonware site which, from what I gather(from the commercial), seeks the permission of authors to post stuff. at least if there is a request from the copyright holder to take it down they will... You may wish to check with the site owners to see if their stuff is legal. I just went there for a quick check on these two games.

Raiden worked for the 2 minutes I played it. Vikings Intro plays, but the game crashes MT32 Dosbox. It seemed to work OK in the official dosbox release though (set up for Soundblaster)...