VOGONS

First post, by MattA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually went to play some old games tonight, and everything seemed to work fine right up until my MT-32 remained completely inactive.

I have it connected via a USB-MIDI adapter on my Windows 10 PC. I run all my games through DOSBox and have never had an issue playing any of them before. I tried different USB ports for the MIDI adapter, unplug/replug the MT-32, check all settings, make sure the device was set correctly in options, etc. The USB-MIDI adapter shows activity whenever any of the games are started, but the MT-32 just sits there with its default screen, looking at me.

Because of this, I finally downloaded and started up Munt, which works perfectly well. Everything sounds as it should and works properly. That said, I'm going to miss playing games on the actual MT-32 hardware. It's a sad day. 🙁

If anyone has bumped across this and has any ideas, please let me know. Otherwise, I see a lot of emulation in my future.

Reply 1 of 9, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Possibilities:

- Fault in MIDI adapter/cable on the DIN side
- Dirt/oxidisation in MT32 MIDI socket, needs cleaning
- MIDI socket has dry solder joints internally, needs reflowing
- Something more serious internally (Hopefully not)

Reply 2 of 9, by MattA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I popped the cover off to make sure there wasn't anything obvious. I'm sort of leaning towards cold solder joints which would require removing the board and reflowing. The jacks are slightly loose, but that could be normal. I may pop the board out and have a look.

Reply 3 of 9, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope you can get it fixed! I haven't used my MT-32 in ages. I've been wanting to hook it up to a system for some retrogaming, but I kept putting it off. If they are prone to certain failures over time, I'd like to learn of them as well. Good luck.

Reply 4 of 9, by MattA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
digger wrote on 2023-12-17, 19:29:

I hope you can get it fixed! I haven't used my MT-32 in ages. I've been wanting to hook it up to a system for some retrogaming, but I kept putting it off. If they are prone to certain failures over time, I'd like to learn of them as well. Good luck.

I'm hoping I can fix it too! When I get a wild hair and can find my SB16 midi cable, I'll try hooking it up to my 486 to see what happens. I also have a midi keyboard kicking around that I can possibly connect to the adapter to test it out. We've got some extra troubleshooting that we can try!

Reply 5 of 9, by SkyHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I presume there's no native Windows game that will run on Windows 10 that can use the MT-32, hence you're presumably running DOSBox with MIDI passthrough?

Perhaps the Windows enumeration for devices has changed, and DOSBox is no longer sending to the correct MIDI interface?

edit: Whoops, obviously not, disregard.
> The USB-MIDI adapter shows activity whenever any of the games are started

I presume this setup has been known to work previously? I've met a bunch of cheap trash USB MIDI interfaces that don't work properly or at all with the MT-32.

Reply 6 of 9, by MattA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SkyHawk wrote on 2023-12-23, 05:39:
I presume there's no native Windows game that will run on Windows 10 that can use the MT-32, hence you're presumably running DOS […]
Show full quote

I presume there's no native Windows game that will run on Windows 10 that can use the MT-32, hence you're presumably running DOSBox with MIDI passthrough?

Perhaps the Windows enumeration for devices has changed, and DOSBox is no longer sending to the correct MIDI interface?

edit: Whoops, obviously not, disregard.
> The USB-MIDI adapter shows activity whenever any of the games are started

I presume this setup has been known to work previously? I've met a bunch of cheap trash USB MIDI interfaces that don't work properly or at all with the MT-32.

Sorry, just saw this!

Yes, it was working previously. I disconnected it to move the PC, and when I reconnected it, it no longer works. Very strange how it stopped working. I don't think there's a hardware fault, as the MT-32 comes on and looks normal. It just doesn't receive any data.

I got munt working, but it's not the same. I'd prefer to use the real hardware if possible.

Reply 7 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just curious, do you have another device that you could attach on the thru of the mt-32. To check if the midi signal that comes in on the mt32 still goes through.
If not, it seems likely that the optocoupler inside the mt-32 is broken.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 9, by sfryers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2024-02-26, 18:36:

Just curious, do you have another device that you could attach on the thru of the mt-32. To check if the midi signal that comes in on the mt32 still goes through.

Good suggestion- or hook up a MIDI keyboard directly to the MT-32's input. I've found the MT-32 to be a pretty well-made piece of equipment and would recommend not attempting any solder or reflow work until you're 100% sure it's actually faulty.

MT-32 Editor- a timbre editor and patch librarian for Roland MT-32 compatible devices: https://github.com/sfryers/MT32Editor

Reply 9 of 9, by SkyHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MattA wrote on 2024-02-26, 18:10:

Yes, it was working previously. I disconnected it to move the PC, and when I reconnected it, it no longer works. Very strange how it stopped working. I don't think there's a hardware fault, as the MT-32 comes on and looks normal. It just doesn't receive any data.

I got munt working, but it's not the same. I'd prefer to use the real hardware if possible.

Here's a really stupid question, but are you sure your USB MIDI interface is connected correctly? I've met several with the leads for MIDI IN and MIDI OUT marked in reverse - because they intend that the MIDI IN lead be plugged into MIDI IN on your device, not because it's the MIDI IN port on the interface. Bloody stupid if you ask me.

May I ask what your reservations are with MUNT? My MT-32 is now off my desk and packed into a box, because everything it can possibly do, MUNT can do better (and without taking up space on my desk).