VOGONS

Common searches

Using DOSBox on a new iMac

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 52, by InstantWare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You might want to create the file DOSBox Preferences yourself.

Use the app TextEdit for it, which you will find in /Applications. Save the file in pure text format, not as .rtf.

Add the sections that you need, e.g. those as outlined in my previous post. Once you are ready with it, copy it to your users preferences, which you can find at:

/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences.

Restart DOSBox.

Best regards

Rolf

Reply 22 of 52, by hsegal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WD - Where can I find or see the README file that you are referring to? Could you point me to it or copy it to an email and send it to me? My email is: hsegal@usa.net

Rolf - I proceed to set up a plain text file called DOSBox Preferences (with no extension) and put it in the correct Preferences folder, but nothing but it does not seem to load when I restart dosBox. Does the file title need an extension like .bat to work, like the old fashioned autoexec.bat of 20 years ago?

Thanks,
Hal

Reply 25 of 52, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

Which exact package did you download?

The current official MacOS X download misses the Readme file.
haegal, you can find it here:
http://dosbox.cvs.sourceforge.net/dosbox/dosb … DME?view=markup

Klimawandel.

Reply 27 of 52, by hsegal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did it! Success! I finally got the autoload feature running. The trick was to keep the machine from automatically adding an extension to the preferences file. Thanks to everyone, who steered me to the answers. I really appreciate it.
This is minor, but would be nice:
I'd like to put CTRL-F9 (the kill dosBox command) at the end of the preferences file so that when I close my application in the window, it automatically shuts the doxBox. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this? In other words, is there a key sequence that could be put IN THE FILE that triggers CTRL-F9?
Hal

Reply 28 of 52, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hsegal wrote:

In other words, is there a key sequence that could be put IN THE FILE that triggers CTRL-F9?
Hal

If you run DOSBox from the Terminal, add -exit to the end of the command line. Otherwise, put the command 'exit' to the end of the AUTOEXEC section.

Klimawandel.

Reply 29 of 52, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

read the readme and be supprised about the options 😉
there are multiple ways of doing this. all of them share the word "exit" though.
Good luck

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 30 of 52, by hsegal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The exit command works PERFECTLY. Thanks for that!

Okay, my last task before I'm done with this setup is to get the phone dialer to work with my contact manager. I purchased the Apple USB Modem and Apple tech support walked me through testing it, so we know it works for standard Apple applications. Now the question is: how to get the modem to dial from a program running in dosBox?

Could anyone offer me any suggestions on this?

Hal

Reply 31 of 52, by InstantWare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hal,

Directserial (modem) support is deactivated in the current distribution of DOSBox for Mac OS X.

I compiled for my own use a DOSBox with activated directserial support, and I reported success in the forum:

Dial-In Connection with the internal Modem using DOSBox @ OS X

Do you think, you will be able to compile DOSBox from source yourself at your machine?

Best regards

Rolf

Reply 32 of 52, by hsegal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rolf,
I'm really glad to hear that a solution is POSSIBLE. But, I'm afraid that I have no idea how to do a compile. I looked at the posts from the link you provided and it is WAY over my head. Would there be a way for me to download and install your improved version the same way I downloaded and installed the original version? If not, I'm sure I could follow step-by-step instructions, but preparing those instructions would probably be very time-consuming for you. I hope there is some way...
Hal

Reply 33 of 52, by InstantWare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hal,

"Compiling from source" sounds more difficult than it is.

Providing a stand alone binary package would mean a lot of work for me, because, I need to prepare an .app-package which includes all the dependent libraries.

Possibly we can meet in the middle. If you would be able to install Apples Developer Tools which should be part of the software package of your new iMac AND the necessary libraries by the way of MacPorts - http://www.macports.org/, then I could send to you the DOSBox executable

Please let me know, if this makes sense to you, then I will send the instructions.

Best regards

Rolf

Reply 34 of 52, by hsegal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rolf,
I'd be willing to give that a try.
Separately, could you give me your email address so that I could ask you a private question?
Hal

Reply 35 of 52, by InstantWare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For sending private mesages to somebodey, you might want to push the pm button at the lower left corner of somebodies message text box.

Here comes the first set of instractions for preparing your iMac.

• 1. locate the Apple Developer Tools CD or DVD, possibly it is nowadays called Xcode Tools

2. install the Xcode Tools on your iMac by double clicking onto the installer package and following the guidelines in the various message boxes

3. download and install the MacPorts OSS package management system
    http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/d … -1.5.0-10.4.dmg

4. open the Terminal. You'll find it in /Applications/Utilities

5. let MacPorts manage the installation of the necessary Open Source Software packages. Enter the respective commands in the Terminal window:

autotools (takes 20-30 min)
    sudo port install automake
    libSDL
    sudo port install libsdl
    libSDL_Net
    sudo port install libsdl_net
    libSDL_Sound
    sudo port install libsdl_sound
    libPNG
    sudo port install libpng

Now your iMac should be ready to run my custom binary. However, you are also almost there, for compiling the binary from source by yourself.

Let me know your decision, whether you want my binary or the remaining set of instructions for making DOSBox by yourself.

Best regards

Rolf

Reply 36 of 52, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

0.72 will be out sooner rather than later and direct serial for OS X will be part of it. I've actually been helping to beta test beta/rc builds for the OS X version. You may just want to wait a few days.

Reply 38 of 52, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darkgamorck wrote:

0.72 will be out sooner rather than later and direct serial for OS X will be part of it.

How to use the directserial connection in MacOS X?

When I try the unix grammar

Serial1=directserial realport:ttyS01

the Terminal replies with

Serial1:Serial Port "/dev/ttyS01" could not be opened.
The specified port does not exist.

What values do I have to enter next to "realport:"?

Attachments

• directserialports.png
    Filename
    directserialports.png
    File size
    27.45 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The ports my Macintosh offers.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Klimawandel.