VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DOSBOXER101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Again.
Just today I got Dosbox on Ubuntu KDE. I used writeconf to create a configuration file ( it was not there), and modified it. I modified the ipx and autolock. When I save and go back onto dosbox, I try a game. It works perfectly, but the mouse is still in autolock. What is wrong?

Thx, DOSBOXXER101

DOSBOXER101

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Is it using this cfg? Terminal should tell you which one is used on dosbox startup

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 8, by DOSBOXER101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am not sure what cfg is, but I can probably tell you what I did.
1. On the terminal/konsole, I typed in sudo apt-get install Dosbox
2. Then, once I finished, I created a c: directory using mkdir -p ~/dos
3. I had the directory ready, so I decided to look for dosbox.conf, but it was not there, so I created a new file with config -writeconf dosbox.conf.
4. I modeled it to autolock=false, ipx=true, and cycles=max. Then I saved it and closed it, putting it into my dos folder.
5. I went onto dosbox to try it out on Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness and Beyond the Dark Portal.
6. It still does not work.

DOSBOXER101

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Cfg, short for config.
Anyway, when you start Dosbox in terminal, there is additional information printed. Please copy/paste this. Also tell us where your conf file is on your machine.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 8, by DOSBOXER101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It shows the intro, like when you type in COMMAND.COM, and it says after:
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 T6
Z:\>

and that is it. Also, the conf file is created in my home page (where the computer goes to when you open the files manager), so I moved it into my dos file.

DOSBOXER101

Reply 5 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please start Dosbox from the terminal and report back what is written there. NOT what is displayed in Dosbox.

Reply 6 of 8, by DOSBOXER101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I fixed the problem. 😀
The problem is when you create/recreate the conf file, you leave it at where it is created at, not moving it to another folder. Thanks for helping me!

DOSBOXER101

Reply 7 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

He he, that's something you need to keep in mind for most software 😉 setting files cannot be moved around at will unless there is a way to specify the new location 😉

Reply 8 of 8, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DOSBOXER101 wrote:

Just today I got Dosbox on Ubuntu KDE. I used writeconf to create a configuration file ( it was not there)...

3. I had the directory ready, so I decided to look for dosbox.conf, but it was not there, so I created a new file with config -writeconf dosbox.conf.

It's not called dosbox.conf on Linux. The name includes the version number.
For example mine was called dosbox-0.74.conf
If you searched specifically for "dosbox.conf" it won't show up.

When I installed DOSBox on Linux Mint KDE, it put the dosbox-0.74.conf file inside a hidden directory (.dosbox) inside my user's home directory. So

/home/<username>/.dosbox/dosbox-0.74.conf

You have to "display hidden" in order to see the .dosbox directory if you're using a file browser (Dolphin or Konqueror or whatever your OS uses).